Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Dr Fauci interview with Chris Cuomo 3/25/20 Wed night , Happy reading!! If you googled his actual quote to the press you would find it instead of a fruitless search. You can do the honors.

I watched it when it was on, I try to catch them all. Which is one reason why I’ve said, twice today, that I wish everyone was watching his interviews.

Let me provide the transcript of the quote you referred to, (I underlined that section, which was part of a full sentence) where you used it to say that he’s recommending a national shut down-
(He actually says the opposite)

CUOMO: So, you got two different points of pressure coming from opposite directions. You have people saying "It's been long enough, Tony. You told me two

weeks. I did two weeks. I can't do this anymore. I want to get back to work. We got to open up. Whatever happens, happens."

And then on the other side, you have this pressure of "Clearly, we have to do this a lot longer because the mitigation efforts aren't working." My brother, every other word out of his mouth is "Accelerating." You know, it's "Blah, blah, blah, accelerating cases, blah, blah, accelerate - accelerating pattern."

So, how do you deal with those opposite interests? "We've done it long enough. We're frustrated. We want to get over this. And what you've told us to do so far, it's still accelerating."

FAUCI: Right. It is there's no - you're absolutely correct, a 100 percent, Chris. It's accelerating.

And what you've got to do is that when you have a big country like this, you've got to look at it in different ways. Right now, you wouldn't even think about not - not putting the damper on what's going on in New York. That would be outlandish, as it's going up, no doubt.

But there are other parts of the country, which we need to get a better feel for what is going on. And the way we do that is by increasing testing, and identifying people, who are infected, isolating them, getting out of circulation, and then do contact tracing.

That's what we call containment. So, you could do containment and maybe ease up a bit in one area, whereas in other areas where it's mitigation, all you got to do is put all your resources in there, to help the people who are under this stressful situation.

CUOMO: So, different solutions for different parts of the country.

FAUCI: The way it is in New York. So, it isn't all or none.

CUOMO: I got you, different strategies for different parts of the country.

FAUCI: I believe, yes - exactly.

CUOMO: I get it.

FAUCI: Exactly.

CUOMO: But then you have like "Well how long?" And I get it. The answer is going to be "Depends where you are." I get it.

But if it's California, and there you have the Governor and the Mayor discussing, the Los Angeles Mayor, that it's going to be months, it's going to take months for them.

And then, you're hearing, here in New York, Andrew says, the Governor here says, "We're two or three weeks from seeing the worst crush at the hospitals." I mean it seems that the timeline is getting extended farther out, not that things are going better--

FAUCI: Right.

CUOMO: --than expected anywhere.

FAUCI: Yes. What you've got to do, Chris, you've got to be realistic, and you've got to understand that you don't make the timeline, the virus makes the timeline. So, you've got to respond in what you see happen.

And if you keep seeing this acceleration, it doesn't matter what you say, one week, two week, three weeks, you've got to go with what the situation on the ground is. So, when people say it may take months, I think what people are talking about is how long it takes to go all the way down.

But you may see, in a relatively shorter period of time, when you're seeing the inkling of the flattening, and coming down. But, you know, you can't make an arbitrary decision until you see--

CUOMO: Right.

FAUCI: --what you're dealing with. You need the data.

Calmdownnow

Wow kinda shocked they hadn't done this already. I know it is a logistical nightmare though. One good thing is that companies will be more prepared and less resistant to work from home going forward, one would hope. And hopefully the "open-office concept" goes away because of this.
Everyone says it is logistically nightmare, but my son's employer suddenly decided to have everyone working from home and provided the software to do it within 4 hours of hearing that one of their employees who was "off sick" had been found dead from the virus in his home after self-isolating. (He was not in the over 65 age group.)

Angel Ariel

I'm qualified by looking at information and data and using my brain to interpret it. I have a scientific background and a high level of understanding of statistics. Also common sense that it is possible to do things that isolate the most vulnerable demographics without locking everybody else down.

It doesn't matter how long the virus takes to kill. There are more NEW CASES today in Italy than in 6 days and it is the second highest number of NEW CASES they have had in a single day since the outbreak started. I'm not talking about deaths.

Given the 14 day accepted maximum incubation period in the vast majority of cases, anybody infected before the lockdown should have shown up in the data by 2 days ago. The fact that there is a spike today indicates something isn't going as expected unless there were a large number of untested cases. I haven't seen any reports harping on Italy's lack of testing so I won't assume that is the explanation.
They've also charged almost 110,000 people with breaking the lockdown, so it's not exactly like everyone listened and stayed in their houses 17 days ago.

Lilofan

I watched it when it was on, I try to catch them all. Which is one reason why I’ve said, twice today, that I wish everyone was watching his interviews.

Let me provide the transcript of the quote you referred to, (I underlined that section, which was part of a full sentence) where you used it to say that he’s recommending a national shut down-
(He actually says the opposite)

CUOMO: So, you got two different points of pressure coming from opposite directions. You have people saying "It's been long enough, Tony. You told me two

weeks. I did two weeks. I can't do this anymore. I want to get back to work. We got to open up. Whatever happens, happens."

And then on the other side, you have this pressure of "Clearly, we have to do this a lot longer because the mitigation efforts aren't working." My brother, every other word out of his mouth is "Accelerating." You know, it's "Blah, blah, blah, accelerating cases, blah, blah, accelerate - accelerating pattern."

So, how do you deal with those opposite interests? "We've done it long enough. We're frustrated. We want to get over this. And what you've told us to do so far, it's still accelerating."

FAUCI: Right. It is there's no - you're absolutely correct, a 100 percent, Chris. It's accelerating.

And what you've got to do is that when you have a big country like this, you've got to look at it in different ways. Right now, you wouldn't even think about not - not putting the damper on what's going on in New York. That would be outlandish, as it's going up, no doubt.

But there are other parts of the country, which we need to get a better feel for what is going on. And the way we do that is by increasing testing, and identifying people, who are infected, isolating them, getting out of circulation, and then do contact tracing.

That's what we call containment. So, you could do containment and maybe ease up a bit in one area, whereas in other areas where it's mitigation, all you got to do is put all your resources in there, to help the people who are under this stressful situation.

CUOMO: So, different solutions for different parts of the country.

FAUCI: The way it is in New York. So, it isn't all or none.

CUOMO: I got you, different strategies for different parts of the country.

FAUCI: I believe, yes - exactly.

CUOMO: I get it.

FAUCI: Exactly.

CUOMO: But then you have like "Well how long?" And I get it. The answer is going to be "Depends where you are." I get it.

But if it's California, and there you have the Governor and the Mayor discussing, the Los Angeles Mayor, that it's going to be months, it's going to take months for them.

And then, you're hearing, here in New York, Andrew says, the Governor here says, "We're two or three weeks from seeing the worst crush at the hospitals." I mean it seems that the timeline is getting extended farther out, not that things are going better--

FAUCI: Right.

CUOMO: --than expected anywhere.

FAUCI: Yes. What you've got to do, Chris, you've got to be realistic, and you've got to understand that you don't make the timeline, the virus makes the timeline. So, you've got to respond in what you see happen.

And if you keep seeing this acceleration, it doesn't matter what you say, one week, two week, three weeks, you've got to go with what the situation on the ground is. So, when people say it may take months, I think what people are talking about is how long it takes to go all the way down.

But you may see, in a relatively shorter period of time, when you're seeing the inkling of the flattening, and coming down. But, you know, you can't make an arbitrary decision until you see--

CUOMO: Right.

FAUCI: --what you're dealing with. You need the data.
"You don't make the timeline. The virus makes the timeline," says Dr. Anthony Fauci on when coronavirus restrictions could be lifted. " You have got to go with what the situation on the ground is...You need the data. "

celluloid

ABC Liquor stores have gotten permission to remain open in Florida.
The Libraries are closed and not allowed to do special procedures, but Liquore stores remain open.
I can't go to a Drive In that has a chance to thrive and by nature is a social distancing version of entertainment(yes, I would agree that these should not probably be open either) but the liquor stores can remain open.
Showing the tax dollar true colors. They already said alcohol could be delivered from food service and taken out for home consumption. Grocery stores can sell liquor. This is why this essential stuff does not work. Its a slippery slope of one company is allowed to do one thing and creates a mess when others cannot.

Calmdownnow

Ah, so no link for a recommendation of federal directives to shut this country down for a month or more.
I’ll save myself from a fruitless search.
I don't know what more evidence you need other than the Senate feeling the need to vote through a massive 2 trillion relief package that is geared to supporting workers for many months. Are you saying that they are wasting that sort of money on an emergency that will end by Easter? In the meantime WH emergency response spokespersons (e.g. Peter Navarro) are saying "within a year we will have manufactured 1 million ventilators" -- so why would you need a million by March 2021 if this is going to be over in weeks?

21stamps

"You don't make the timeline. The virus makes the timeline," says Dr. Anthony Fauci on when coronavirus restrictions could be lifted. " You have got to go with what the situation on the ground is...You need the data. "

Why are you augmenting his words when they’re already posted? Do you see that you’re changing his sentence? Better question- How in the world are you getting “Federally mandated national lockdown” out of his words? There’s an entire interview, one of several that he’s given lately.. Not one of them has even hinted at a national lockdown at this point.

This is one time when we really need to leave the social media memes and half quotes as entertainment only.., not on matters as big as shutting down this country, for that- watch the interviews yourself.

Last edited:

MrPromey

It's done all the time with other illnesses such as yes - the flu.
It's being done with people who are ill with covid 19.
A sick person stays confined to their room.
One person feeds that person taking precautions such as we are being told to do now - washing their hands etc.

And to expect that to be the case for all households in an entire nation at once is again, laughable.

Remember, symptoms take up to two weeks to appear.

In a household where anyone could potentially be sick with it and not know it, how would this work?

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
You can absolutely do those things. You are also contagious before you start showing symptoms. That's how this spreads in households (and schools).

Again, yes you can do those things is you have more than one or two rooms. It becomes harder when you have a smaller living space - which is the problem in NYC and other urban, densely populated, areas.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Very interesting news out of Miami-Dade -

"Miami-Dade plans to use targeted blood tests across the county to track the spread of coronavirus in an effort to get a broader picture of how to respond to the outbreak."

"Mayor Carlos Gimenez said this week the county has access to new pinprick tests that detect the antibodies in blood that indicate someone has the disease or has recovered from it. Results can be ready in 15 minutes, and subjects will be chosen at random each week based on demographic data.

“We expect by next week to get 10,000 new kits that will be used to do a demographic study on the spread of this virus in our county”
"The effort would make Miami-Dade one of the first counties in the country to launch broad surveillance testing for COVID-19 exposure."

Calmdownnow

You can absolutely do those things. You are also contagious before you start showing symptoms. That's how this spreads in households (and schools).
Studies in Iceland (where the population generally is very co-operative and enthusiastic about health studies and testing -- some two-thirds of the adult population has previously signed up for genetic testing) appear to suggest that 40+% of those who tested positive for the virus were also asymptomatic -- they didn't get ill but could have still spread the illness. Iceland, unlike most American and European communities, was not just testing people who presented with severe symptoms at the hospitals but was able to test large percentages of the whole population. It probably provides the largest scale "test bed" of how infection spreads in a community.

Polkadotdress

250,000 - 500,000 deaths from the flu could be prevented every year if these same draconian actions were taken. Nobody does that or has ever suggested doing it. Are the flu deaths not "needless" deaths?
Yes, many of these flu deaths can be prevented, if the general population would just get their annual flu vaccine shot. Draconian measure? Hardly. Are flu deaths needless? Yes, as people choose to forgo medical advice re: the vaccine.

tampas non curfew "safer at home"rule begins friday at 10 pm

the rules are simple keep 6 feet away and no gathering in places of10 or more

again no curfew but feel free to go the gym:(

Gov Desantis ordered all gyms closed in the state earlier this week.

Calmdownnow

Are flu deaths needless? Yes, as people choose to forgo medical advice re: the vaccine
Forgive me for not knowing this (as a non-American), but are flu vaccine's free? If not, how much might you be asked to pay up-front as a co-pay or other charge? Can the millions of people who do not have health insurance receive the vaccine at no cost? If you are on Medicaid, how easy is it to get a vaccine?

Now that the problem of flu deaths has been highlighted by politicians, is there likely to be a health initiative to remove the things that block people from getting a flu vaccine?

Josh Hendy

Studies in Iceland (where the population generally is very co-operative and enthusiastic about health studies and testing -- some two-thirds of the adult population has previously signed up for genetic testing) appear to suggest that 40+% of those who tested positive for the virus were also asymptomatic -- they didn't get ill but could have still spread the illness. Iceland, unlike most American and European communities, was not just testing people who presented with severe symptoms at the hospitals but was able to test large percentages of the whole population. It probably provides the largest scale "test bed" of how infection spreads in a community.
Thanks for this. It of course leads to more questions such as:

How long do asymptomatic carriers remain contagious?

Are they immune for life or could symptoms develop later? For example if their immune system is compromised.

Is a long delayed relapse possible? (as with shingles or possibly even worse)

Are patients who are sick and recover then immune? Are they more or less contagious than asymptomatic carriers, and are they contagious for longer?

Can tests differentiate between "exposed, contagious" and "exposed, non-contagious"?

This is why I think that a lot of caution is called for for ... for example continuing with plans to build a million ventilators until it's proven they're not needed.

Polkadotdress

Forgive me for not knowing this (as a non-American), but are flu vaccine's free? If not, how much might you be asked to pay up-front as a co-pay or other charge? Can the millions of people who do not have health insurance receive the vaccine at no cost? If you are on Medicaid, how easy is it to get a vaccine?

Now that the problem of flu deaths has been highlighted by politicians, is there likely to be a health initiative to remove the thingOther es that block people from getting a flu vaccine?

Lots of varying answers...flu vaccine cost depends on your insurance, and as you may be aware here in the US, many don't even have insurance. My yearly flu vaccine is free for myself and the entire family, on behalf of the company I work for. Others will pay anywhere from $10 up to ???

Then you've got to layer in the "Anti-vaxx" movement here in the US, where people are just adamantly opposed to any vaccines of any kind.

And , then there are others who aren't necessarily anti-vaxx, but don't get the flu vaccine because they believe it makes them sick, or that it's stupid to subject you body to it because it doesn't fully protect you.

The US is mess when it comes to this. So anyone who does not get the yearly vaccine should not be allowed to say "But there are so many flu death every year..." in this argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom