Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ignoring politicians, those with actual knowledge expect this to be most widespread for 7 more weeks then start to wane. It is far more widespread than reported. You don’t see spread like this from 16000 cases in a nation of 328,000,000.
The UK is expecting a peak in the next 2-4 weeks apparently. If it’s a peak or the peak we don’t know. Nor if things will begin to level off / drop afterwards. Nor the possibility of it peaking as much again - or worse. There’s a belief we’re a period of weeks behind Central Europe. With that belief technically the US could be x amount of weeks behind us.

It’s so ambiguous. Such an unknown.

What is known is do as you’re told.

Ponderer

Completely honestly, once the number of cases needing testing exceeded the CDC capacity to test, it didn't really matter because it was no longer containable by quarantine.

You're correct that past a certain point, the option of containment was lost. But testing could STILL be useful for an overall mitigation strategy, where authorities can trace vector clusters. But once patients start filling up the ERs, especially in NYC, Seattle, LA and the Bay Area - yes, it's pointless. We'll wind up with the high end of that infamous infection curve, and COVID will rage until it burns out.

awoogala

No one knows the real rate in Italy because they haven't tested everyone... But it is likely going to be higher than China since Italy has one of the oldest populations. To put it into perspective 23% of Italians are over 65, in the US it is only 14% over 65.

If you want to use the known cases by known deaths its currently a 8% mortality rate, but that number is much higher than it actually is... remember it ignores the people with such mild symptoms that they don't even get test or even try to get tested.
I keep thinking of the fact that we may have a smaller % of elderly, but our elderly also tend to be less healthy, on the whole.

DisneyDebRob

The UK is expecting a peak in the next 2-4 weeks apparently. If it’s a peak or the peak we don’t know. Nor if things will begin to level off / drop afterwards. Nor the possibility of it peaking as much again - or worse. There’s a belief we’re a period of weeks behind Central Europe. With that belief technically the US could be x amount of weeks behind us.

It’s so ambiguous. Such an unknown.
That’s my exact thought. Hitting a peak, going down then maybe being lax causes it to start to peak again.

ToTBellHop

Was just mentioning the earliest I heard. I agree that’s probably impossible. Let’s hope we do have treatments for it or this could go a lot longer then anyone expected.
Okay, it is admittedly very hard to know what to believe. However, CA was ordered to lockdown. You don’t lockdown a state over 1000 illnesses. It is expected that over 20,000,000 Californians will have had Covid-19 by mid-May. That’s why they are locking down. Areas with active outbreaks (West Coast, East Coadt, Western Europe) will start benefiting from herd immunity soon, but hospitals will struggle for a bit.

Be careful cutting tomatoes. Now is not the time to slice a finger.

orlandogal22

The difference between 88 and 90 cannot be determined by most without a thermometer or weather service. Even the IRS is giving people a break right now. Do you mind forgoing an audit and accepting my temperature estimates or must I provide notarized records of temperatures in Florida recorded by weather experts? Goodness...I know people are bored, but there's GOT to be something better to do than "ACTUALLY!..." people on a temperature estimate. 🙄

Dude, you made a blanket statement that "it's been 90 in Florida the past few days" as a direct correlation to "cases are rising faster than ever" and it having "nothing to do w/ heat or sun."

I wasn't looking for notarized records, but if you're going to say it's been 90 in the whole state for the last few days ...when it hasn't... of course, I was curious and looked it up. ;)

Where do you live in Florida, BTW?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That’s my exact thought. Hitting a peak, going down then maybe being lax causes it to start to peak again.
Theres’s a thought of trying to manage it by creating smaller and regular peaks and troughs as opposed to a huge peak that may not subside. The smaller version would allow hospitals to better cope.

But this would obviously prolong it. And the measures that go with it. But by how much would measures need to be enforced if the peaks are low? Again, such an unknown.

21stamps

I do hope that people won’t flood amusement parks with demands for prorated refunds on season passes/dining plans etc.

I’m worried about regional parks being able to absorb these losses.. we also might see a delay on new attractions/renovations in the next few years.

Also curious about their employees, these parks hire so many people, mostly younger though.. all have done their hiring already.

21stamps

Of course you realize that Kings Island and Knotts are both owned by Cedar Fair, right...?

Yes, which is why I responded that way. I’m a platinum passholder (means ‘all parks’) and have received no emails from Cedar Fair at all until this afternoon. See:my previous post from a couple of days ago.

Lilofan

I thought this at first, too but to be fair, there is a little bit more to the story:

• They were concerned because without all beach cities along that coast acting in unison, all they would be doing is pushing these folks further down the beach and condensing them.

• Given the crowds they were dealing with, they were not sure how they were going to actually be able to successfully enforce this, initially.

• There was concern that pushing these people back into hotels to drink and hang out in close quarters could cause more problems than it solves.

I'm sure there was a financial component not being publicly mentioned but I was initially wondering why they weren't acting sooner, too.

Some of the info that's been disclosed on the decision making process makes it a little more clear.
Financial component- Bingo!

thomas998

I keep thinking of the fact that we may have a smaller % of elderly, but our elderly also tend to be less healthy, on the whole.
I don't know if our 80 year olds are really any less healthy than an 80 year anywhere in the world. I would expect that most of your people that were really unhealthy would have already died from other diseases before they reach their 80's, which may be why Italy has more percentage wise than we do.

Tom P.

With all the sick social media stunts that are propagated by teenagers, I wonder if we'll get to the point where grocery stores will only permit anyone under the age of 18 in the store if they are accompanied by a parent or a guardian.

21stamps

Idiots on Twitter are already asking “what’s going to happen with my pass” on the different Cedar Fair park announcement tweets. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom