Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

New house bill calls for $2K per month payments to all adults. They are also suspending all consumer and small business credit payments and setting up a facility to make lenders whole. There will also be a forbearance on loans for rental properties while rent is not being collected. Debt collection will be prohibited. Thats gonna be expensive but probably necessary in the short run.

You do realize that most landlords are people. Is the City going to drop the tax to zero for the time the landlord has to forgive the rent? Are the utility companies going to give free service to everyone? Who is going to pay for all this? BTW if the cities and states don't get the tax payments they have to layoff workers. Plus what about their pension funds? With interest rates plummeting and stocks falling, the contribution they are legally required to make skyrocket. In New Jersey with property taxes the highest in the nation, get ready because you ain't seen nothing yet. One of the highest income tax rates, up it goes. Sales ta, yes that will have to go up too. Businesses, your unemployment taxes are on the way up. Oh, if you want government services, they will be cut.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I've lived in multiple states and 20 years in Florida thus far. Trust me when I say - wackiness happens everywhere. The mainstream media loves to cherry pick what stories they focus on.
3t7rbt.jpg

ELG13

Uuuuuggggggghhhhh! This is the equivalent of a cult leader getting his followers to commit mass suicide. It is totally and completely irresponsible and this leader should be held accountable!!! Especially in such an impoverished area. They had a hard time handling the swine flu epidemic.

orlandogal22

The Sunshine law is what makes said cherry picking possible. If other states were more open with their records, you'd hear similar stories elsewhere.

Very true. However, not all stories reported require citation of the Sunshine Law - that's just, by its definition, right of access to government proceedings. Clearwater Beach reporting didn't necessitate the Sunshine Law.

Nevertheless, I find it humorous that so many of the people who make fun of my state also then come here on vacation - and / or wish they lived here.

Things that make you go hmmm... ;)

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Uuuuuggggggghhhhh! This is the equivalent of a cult leader getting his followers to commit mass suicide. It is totally and completely irresponsible and this leader should be held accountable!!! Especially in such an impoverished area. They had a hard time handling the swine flu epidemic.

Hey, one person's Spring Break is another person's prayer mass. I mean, not exactly comparable in this case.

lazyboy97o

That can be a bit misleading too as that would happen with many similar ailments to this sort of upper resipitory problem when someone us immune deficient with previous health conditions or is a heavy smoker/asmathic/unhealthy.
What concerns me is the articles and reports that state organ failure, that seem to be to suggest something besides the lungs. That could be sensationalism too.
You are correct that we should be careful of extrapolating too much from early, preliminary data. The sample sizes, data and research is very low at the moment but it also trends to a greater degree of severity. It could be that everyone has it and the severity rate is far, far smaller but that is much more of a hope at this moment.

And since people want to talk more about economic impacts, while it is just over a third of Walt Disney World's total employment the second largest employer in the Orlando area is AdventHealth (formerly Florida Hospital). Orlando Health, Nemours and the VA also have a sizable presence in the area. How do you isolate only those who are high risk, their dependents and care givers in a metropolitan area that is both a global tourist destination and a regional medical center?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Very true. However, not all stories reported require citation of the Sunshine Law - that's just, by its definition, right of access to government proceedings. Clearwater Beach reporting didn't necessitate the Sunshine Law.

Nevertheless, I find it humorous that so many of the people who make fun of my state also then come here on vacation - and / or wish they lived here.

Things that make you go hmmm... ;)

Related but not, my mom used to say of New Jersey (born and bred): "No one wants to be here anymore than we do. And if they do, they took the wrong exit."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom