Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

monykalyn

Social distancing could already be working :)
That OR it’s been around a lot longer, lot more undiagnosed cases and it’s not a 100% death sentence by breathing (per some media reports and repeated by doomsday lovers.) ok that last was an exaggeration but holy heck if this turns out to be 1) uncontainable due to infection rate 2) not nearly as fatal or along lines as other disease in compromised population we just wrecked life for a huge huge number of people on this planet. If it turns out to be way worse than first thought then life afterwards is gonna suck for a loooonngg time anyway And we killed the economy and people’s livlehood compounding the problem. Either way there absolutely needs to be better response than shut the world down every time.

ELG13

Y'all I just really need to know if I should just cancel my trip So I can get my consolation prize or not. Hubs said I can order the coffee maker I want of we don't go in May lol. Once I heard school closures are extended I seriously think the coffee maker is a better bet at this point 😂

montyz81

Just to report something positive and provide hope for the world over... China just reported no new local coronavirus transmissions for the first time!

Come on folks, let's try to focus on the positive news instead of the negative. It will 1) help us all get through this and 2) might even put some urgency in our step to accelerate the process of getting to where China is. Whether you want to believe it or not, they are ahead of us in fighting this disease.

China went on lockdown on January 23rd. That is just under 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukeblue1227

Yeah CV19 is going to look a lot more like the H1N1 except the media is hyping it up. I don’t remember nightly death counts in 2009. :rolleyes:

Because the death rate of H1N1 was an estimated .01% to .05%. That means if 1 billion people got it, roughly 500k people died.

The death rate of this is 3.5% (and closer to 10% in Italy) meaning if 1 billion people get it, 35 million will die. That’s a substantial difference.

This is also spreading significantly faster than H1N1 did.

Comparing the two at this point is irresponsible.

MaryJaneP

Just to report something positive and provide hope for the world over... China just reported no new local coronavirus transmissions for the first time!

Come on folks, let's try to focus on the positive news instead of the negative. It will 1) help us all get through this and 2) might even put some urgency in our step to accelerate the process of getting to where China is. Whether you want to believe it or not, they are ahead of us in fighting this disease.

China went on lockdown on January 23rd. That is just under 2 months.

And you believe the numbers China is reporting?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That OR it’s been around a lot longer, lot more undiagnosed cases and it’s not a 100% death sentence by breathing (per some media reports and repeated by doomsday lovers.) ok that last was an exaggeration but holy heck if this turns out to be 1) uncontainable due to infection rate 2) not nearly as fatal or along lines as other disease in compromised population we just wrecked life for a huge huge number of people on this planet. If it turns out to be way worse than first thought then life afterwards is gonna suck for a loooonngg time anyway And we killed the economy and people’s livlehood compounding the problem. Either way there absolutely needs to be better response than shut the world down every time.
That remains to be seen. Government has been slooowww to respond at all.
Agreed they acted waaaaaay tooooo slooooow. I am giving them credit for coming to their senses now. If like you said this all ends up like H1N1 then they should be applauded either way. If it turns out we acted too late and the social distancing doesn’t work then there will be lots of blame to go around. At this point if things improve there’s no way anyone will ever be able to determine if the disease was just not as bad as we thought or if the social distancing worked. People will argue both sides but there’s no way to know for sure. I hope we are all having that argument in a month or 2

montyz81

Again, trying to be positive. I thought about that for sure. I am just trying to provide some hope. They have reported two consecutive weeks of a downward trend. I am going to guess that someone would be able to call their bluff in that timeframe.

DisneyDebRob

I agree. I think we are holding out for any good news. In a normal time we would all say that news from China is for the most part not to be believed. Now we are saying.. look what good news is coming from China! Hopefully it’s correct but I think we should take it with a grain of salt.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's about time, Walmart!

Item Limitations

• We know communities are counting on us more than ever and we are determined to serve the broadest number of customers and ensure they have access to the key items they are looking for. Our stores will have limits for customers in certain categories including paper products, milk, eggs, cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, water, diapers, wipes, formula and baby food.
Target did this too near me. They actually have TP now.

Dukeblue1227

People seriously need to stop thinking of this as H1N1. The two are not similar. Not even close.

If we’re lucky enough to get out of this in the end with number of total deaths around H1N1, it’ll be because of the drastic, draconian measures taken. At this point the entire global economy is shut down, the world is in quarantine. This was not even remotely necessary or ever considered with H1N1, it was allowed to 100% spread freely until a vaccine was available because in that case, that was ‘just a flu’ and was not a global health concern. The numbers people point to for comparison are the final numbers after a year.

At no point was our healthcare system at risk of not being able to handle or contain the H1N1, 99.99% of cases did not require hospitalization and just required people to stay home and recover.

Most people were symptomatic, with symptoms showing in 1-3 days, meaning people stayed home when they felt sick.

Covid-19 is a respiratory virus, not a flu. It is because it’s death rate is nowhere near as bad as things like SARS that make it substantially more a threat to the world. SARS flames out because it kills its hosts so quickly and effectively there’s no time for spread.

Covid-19 is spreading rapidly because most people are asymptomatic and it can last on surfaces for up to 3 days. It’s so contagious with a high enough severity rate (about 10% requiring hospitalization) that it will overwhelm the healthcare system. Which is exactly what is happening now in Italy and soon to be in the US.

If this was left to run freely like H1N1 did in 2009, we’d see deaths in the hundreds of millions.

People need to take this more seriously, for the better of society.

DisneyDebRob

That is what happens when you know about something since November....
United States started issuing warnings on January 6. The USCDC putting out a level 1 travel watch.. wash hands.. avoiding animal markets, etc. Unfortunately whether our preparedness was slow or we didn’t think it could get this bad, depending on what side of the discussion your on, we are here now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New house bill calls for $2K per month payments to all adults. They are also suspending all consumer and small business credit payments and setting up a facility to make lenders whole. There will also be a forbearance on loans for rental properties while rent is not being collected. Debt collection will be prohibited. Thats gonna be expensive but probably necessary in the short run.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Unfortunately whether our preparedness was slow or we didn’t think it could get this bad, depending on what side of the discussion your on, we are here now.

Our system was not setup to do what South Korea did around testing....

At the same time, there was no way we were/are going to use the measures of containment that China did....

Finally, not going to look back at what the WHO was saying in January as we are beyond that...but lesson learned

DisneyDebRob

At the same time, there was no way we were/are going to use the measures of containment that China did....
You are correct. Let’s hope that since we haven’t used measures to control it like China, that it won’t be as bad as some have suggested.
I’m not saying we should do it like China, I don’t have the answers, and unfortunately at this stage, the experts are not sure either. Hence the daily updates on what we should be doing.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don’t have the answers, and unfortunately at this stage, the experts are not sure either. Hence the daily updates on what we should be doing.

I think we are in a relatively good place now as we seem to have a solid plan in place...everyone is on the same page. And that gives me optimism. I am now less worried about getting through this (although we are in no way, shape or form out of the woods) and more worried about long term damage...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Of course, it's a lot easier to gear up systems and control a country that's a little smaller than Virginia -- which, BTW, is only the 37th largest state in the US, meaning the other 36 states that are larger than South Korea (some by factors ranging from 2 to 14) by themselves would require herculean efforts to test, treat and/or quarantine the sick elements in the population.

Granted, South Korea has a population equivalent to those of California and Ohio combined, but you can bet the rural parts of Korea aren't receiving the same level of attention as the 26.1 million people who live in the 10 largest Korean cities.

RollerCoaster

I think one of the issues is they were far less widespread. This is an old chart as Corona is in 120+ countries now. It’s also far less deadly. One benefit of a high mortality rate is the people aren’t around to spread the disease. Morbid but true.

View attachment 457282

How can you be so irresponsible and post something with blatantly false facts? Discussions like this on a "Disney" fan board are dangerous and reckless. How do you compare the seriousness of pandemic to minor viruses like Hendra for example that has 7 cases (that is a true) worldwide? This is inexcusable.

H1N1 had a fatality rate of 17.4%? That's absolutely false. First off there were 60.8 million cases in the US alone and the death rate was 0.02%.

Coronavirus is far more deadly than many other viruses and that is a FACT. 1918 Spanish Flu is an exception. Most experts are predicting that when all is said and done the death rate will be about 0.5%, but right now that number globally is hovering at about 3.4%! Real facts show you how serious it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom