Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

I'm well aware of the higher risks of doctors... My response was to someone trying to claim that the masks didn't do anything for someone that was well and were supposed to be worn by the people that were already sick.

And even if you are simply in a supermarket you could be expose by someone that sneezes nearby, the mask isn't a perfect solution but it would offer some protection which is certainly better than none.

An N95 yes. Of course the droplets can still get into your eyes if you aren't wearing sealed goggles.

The surgical masks that the people in Asia wear for these outbreaks do very little to protect you.

thomas998

An N95 yes. Of course the droplets can still get into your eyes if you aren't wearing sealed goggles.

The surgical masks that the people in Asia wear for these outbreaks do very little to protect you.
Sure it can still get to your through your eyes... but the reality is a virus inhaled into your nose or lungs is more likely to infect you than on that might land on your eyelash. I never said it provide perfect protection, it doesn't. I simply said it provide some and some was better than none. If you had a car that only had a seatbelt and no shoulder strap would you still wear the seatbelt to get some protection?

Now for those that want to build your own, here's a link that goes over the effectiveness of several different types of materials... and you'll also note that the surgical mask is not 100% either.

TrainsOfDisney

The use of masks in SE Asia are a cultural thing, they are not protecting themselves, but the populace from themselves. Very different mindset.

It’s not a cultural thing... it’s a law.

That’s what I’m asking... some countries make a law requiring masks in public (not sure if Shanghai its a local law or Disney property rule...) and the USA specifically says not to buy them.

Again.. if there is a shortage, why?

Naturally I want medical professionals to have masks I get that.

ImperfectPixie

It’s not a cultural thing... it’s a law.

That’s what I’m asking... some countries make a law requiring masks in public (not sure if Shanghai its a local law or Disney property rule...) and the USA specifically says not to buy them.

Again.. if there is a shortage, why?

Naturally I want medical professionals to have masks I get that.
Aren't those just surgical masks for the most part though and not the N95 masks? Serious question.

TrainsOfDisney

Aren't those just surgical masks for the most part though and not the N95 masks? Serious question.

I think so... but I don’t know. I was just reading about shanghai making that rule as they reopen Disney and I also read a report that South Korea mailed every resident a mask and said they were required to wear them in Public.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The reality is some people would feel better and be happier if they didn't watch any news or read anything about the virus for a while. Some people literally make themselves sick with worry by allowing themselves to be assaulted with doom and gloom right now

I was RVing all last week when this really started to build up. Wasn't in the loop too much. Made it home Friday, started checking a lot of news...mistake. lol

ImperfectPixie

The reality is some people would feel better and be happier if they didn't watch any news or read anything about the virus for a while. Some people literally make themselves sick with worry by allowing themselves to be assaulted with doom and gloom right now. My wife being one of those... though for the life of me I can't convince her to just walk away from the news and relax.
I'm like your wife. I could become entrenched for hours reading article after article and checking resource after resource and ending up in a Google black hole. I'm carefully limiting myself to a few sources and this forum. You guys are helping to keep me sane, lol.

thomas998

My only hope is that the "truth will out." I don't need to respond to another poster who responded to me (and others, please don't either, it's not worth it). The virus is going to play itself out, regardless of whatever we say about it now. Favorite B5 quote: "The avalanche has started. It's too late for the pebbles to vote."

Like I said waaaayyy upthread now. This is going to be the subject of countless numbers of scientific papers, masters theses, and phD dissertations across many disciplines for years to come. We will either learn from that or not. I don't need validation (but I like seeing all the likes :D) of my beliefs about all of this. I am just hoping that whatever I put out there, is helpful for someone.
I'm sure it will be studied for years... but pretty much also sure that hardly anyone will read those papers let alone remember them when the next virus pops up in the future. We learned things from past problems with SARS, Swine Flu and Hong Kong Flu but rarely do you see or hear any of the so called experts in the news making any references to those past experiences, they all seem to act as though this is the first pandemic we have ever experienced... It is more likely the first one with this level of media exposure but certainly not the first and even using worst case scenarios it is far from the worst pandemic to sweep the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom