Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Those 'guesses' you describe aren't guesses. Science (and evidence in general) allows for accurate predictions and modeling. If it wasn't for quarantines it would most likely reach that peak. The quarantines are based on those models, based on the evidence we have firsthand and based on its genome. In the same way, that evolution has literally allowed us to predict species in the past, we can use evidence for the future that can be trusted. Flu vaccines would not save thousands of lives each year if it weren't for these predictions.

The science said that we needed to prepare by having test kits, and preventative measures, we didn't do either because people didn't believe in these 'models', so now we've had it come upon us faster than it should have, with significantly more cases than are being reported. Delaying the inevitable allows hospitals to not overcrowd. Failure to do so could see worst-case scenario 7-15% of people getting it die instead of the 1-3% with enough hospital capacity. Not to mention other conditions that cannot then be treated due to overcrowded beds.

Preparing calmly is the logical thing to do. Otherwise, you will reach something like that worst-case scenario. Weighing evidence against evidence then you can craft a response to it, but to cast it aside is absurd. The media actually got this one right. Countries don't cause economic collapse for the yearly flu.

Literally everything in science or good business decisions, foreign policy decisions, anything government-related, even education, or any choice in life are data-driven and based on evidence to then be used to logically determine a solution. If you start from a biased beginning the data leads to inaccurate results, but if you don't then you can actually understand the world more. Myself and others have been able to predict both the virus spread and recession due to evidence that we logically understood. It's the people that don't care to try that are left out. You don't have to be a statistician to know this. You don't have to be a scientist to understand the fundamentals, nor does an economics degree act as a tell-all. All it takes is receiving impartial news, researching individuals topics, and then expanding that to an understanding of various industries to craft an accurate (not ideological) worldview.

Sometimes there are multiple logical solutions, but you weigh the causes and effects of actions to come to a conclusion. The real world doesn't allow ideologues to have all the fun. It's the pragmatic individuals who make the best decisions.

It's really not magic. You might want to click my signature to make sure you aren't receiving biased/fake news. That's a good place to start.
Huh? I didn’t say anything about guesses? And I just responded to someone not too long ago about how much I love data...

My criticism is of the media and the way the are so eager (in general) to spin, exaggerate, cherry pick, etc. Many of them are continuing those behaviors through this.

LittleBuford

A Noble Fish

Huh? I didn’t say anything about guesses? And I just responded to someone not too long ago about how much I love data...

My criticism is of the media and the way the are so eager (in general) to spin, exaggerate, cherry pick, etc. Many of them are continuing those behaviors through this.
I meant to quote the person you were responding to, my bad.

However, if you're talking about cable news they all have a bend, which is particularly reinforced by the guests appearing on the 'news' shows. The actual reporting in the mornings and afternoons of all three cable networks are actually quite accurate. BBC News is obviously the gold standard for cable news, but PBS and even CBS and ABC are highly fact-based and great to watch on television. Fox News is however unique in their many shows' ability to actually deliberately misinform with conspiracy theories on the 'shows' and more which the other two don't due; they're just biased. It's really unsettling and is especially dangerous in a public health situation like we've found ourselves in.

I don't think the media has exaggerated this from what I have seen, they've just been reporting what's happening, and it's playing out as they said. I find it more dangerous when people have been spinning this to be not a big deal through deliberate misinformation campaigns in some media outlets and even government officials (perhaps for them). If you've been paying attention, you would have understood this recession was destined to happen way back in January. If you really suggest not treating it like a serious deal, then please, head to Italy, do something that sends you to a hospital (especially COVID-19), and you'll be turned away if you're unlikely to survive or recover rather quickly. That's where we are heading in the United States due to an incompetent/inadequate understanding of the situation. What exactly has been sensationalized? I get my news primarily through AP News, BBC News, Reuters, and NYT/WP for investigative articles. Nobody is telling anyone it's the plague as far as I am concerned. People were freaking out over Ebola due to partisan news even as all the evidence pointed to it being virtually impossible to be widespread here. That info proved correct and was handled appropriately. It seems different this time because it is different, it is a big deal, and it was known a couple of months ago.

Ponderer

I don't get it....what is the difference with our fears this time over the H1N1...which was more deadly

It was NOT more deadly - not remotely. It had a lower mortality rate than the seasonal flu. There were 12000 deaths from 60 million infections, or a death rate of .2/1000. The 2017/2018 seasonal flu had a rate of 1.4 deaths per 1000.

16 days after the first confirmed death from H1N1, there were 9 confirmed deaths. In the same time period with coronavirus, there have been 72 deaths. This is, so far, deadlier than H1N1 by a factor of 10.

RobWDW1971

This! Really it is incomplete data set and every paper that has come out has stated this . Unfortunately most don't read further than a headline, nor understand anything about studies.

Thought a few of you may appreciate this :p

When you post wild speculation like this you REALLY should have a source to back it up.
Here is some other sources
however read it all:" Infection case reports are based on people's memories of where they went and whom they had contact with. If health officials move quickly to isolate patients, that may also skew the data."
very likely, can't find it now but was just reading from (I think) the Washington researchers that they estimated the virus had been around ~6weeks by the time they identified it here in patient zero. Holiday travel time, Sea-Tac? yeah if true it's already spread.
Long term care consultant-1/2 from home, 1/2 on sight, limited/no contact with residents and screened at the door. One was already in lockdown due to flu (confirmed flu for first several, then assumed in rest)
Yes that will HAVE to be answered as there will be a next time. Hospitals triaged and had parking lot tents set up for the peak of 2017-2018 flu season too-and strict visitor policies and pleas for hand hygiene etc and we still saw high deaths-WITH a vaccine and antivirals. World didn't end then did it?
Maybe? Hospitals run on a very thin margin and they are NOT going to invest in majorly expensive equipment to have it unused most of the year-1 no money for it, 2-no space for it 3-there wouldn't be personnel to staff it either.
I turn 50 on Friday and I have asthma. If I get a severe case and go into ARDS I'd rather just be let go.
and yet: https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/03/10/flu-update--CDC estimated that there have been 20,000 deaths related to the flu so far this season.
They do give many small business a platform to sell though.
Percentage of Online Sales Making Up Small Business Totals: According to Small Business Trends sixty percent of small businesses selling in online marketplaces receive more than half of their online sales from sites like Amazon
I hope he takes appropriate precautions all the time, especially during flu season :)
I would like to share your optimism but this administration isn't exactly known for wanting to have facts, much less acting on them
Actual numbers properly reported may actually do just the opposite
More data, properly used is always good.
CT can show what a CXR misses per some studies now coming from CHina
Which is why widespread rapid testing with ability to discern active infection vs having recovered/not infectious would be the ideal scenario-then we'd know even if this widespread shutdown is working!
That doesn't take into account underlying health conditions, age etc. If only 5% of of the 20% of severe cases develop ARDS or other complications the numbers are different. And frankly closer to flu and other causes of death.
Because hospital personnel are providing up close care AND know how to properly use them AND have other personal protective equipment to use WITH the masks.
Yes, and papers - even the doomsday ones-actually state the assumptions they make but the media fans the hype and hysteria and then it turns into the telephone game with each hysterical panicked person repeating and exxagerating.

Agree @orlandogal22 al22! @TrainChasers Maybe in long run but you tell that to senior who won't get to play that last game, the excitement of counting the days down with their friends, shopping for prom (hope my DD's $300 dress is refundable), senior week activities that they've waited and worked towards for FOUR years. It is OK for them to be sad and upset!!!!!
Gloves often cause far far farfarx infinity more issues than people want to believe. For gloves to do ANYTHING everytime she touched money and put it in till-take gloves off - wash hands-put new gloves on and hand money back. Now go through the glove changing scenario with EVERY customer. If she touches ONE contaminated surface that pair of gloves is USELESS and must be changed.
@21stamps my state has this-better than nothing? And I am in Greene county
I didn't read all that, but that was one heck of an impressive use of multi-quote!

tallica

It was NOT more deadly - not remotely. It had a lower mortality rate than the seasonal flu. There were 12000 deaths from 60 million infections, or a death rate of .2/1000. The 2017/2018 seasonal flu had a rate of 1.4 deaths per 1000.

16 days after the first confirmed death from H1N1, there were 9 confirmed deaths. In the same time period with coronavirus, there have been 72 deaths. This is, so far, deadlier than H1N1 by a factor of 10.
We don’t know the death rate yet, not enough data. Currently death rates are anecdotal.

ifan

Body count is around me. Had a 45 year old neighbor die of cancer. 3 guys I worked with when I was young are dead. 2 from alcohol and drug abuse, 1 was hit by a truck bicycling. Went to 3 funerals in the last 6 months. My daughter's teammate's father was killed by an old person at Sun City HHI flat out running him over while he was riding a motorcycle. Another guy had heart failure at 78, he smoked and drank so be it. A Vietnam vet in my neighborhood died of cancer. He was sprayed with agent orange while in country and had effects of that over the years.

I don't believe your number of 30-59 years olds. Back that up with some proof. ???

I also don't believe a 42 year old who is in any sort of shape will dye from the flu.

This isn't a flu. It's a novel coronavirus. More similar to SARS (genetically.) If it was the flu, MORE young people would be dying (like during H1N1.)

Most of the sad fatal situations you mentioned above have no easy way to prevent (cancer, for example.) This does.

Here is your source for the under 60 info - but France isn't the only county reporting this:

"More than half of novel coronavirus patients in intensive care in France are younger than the age of 60, according to the country’s top health official.

CNN reports Jerome Salomon, the director general for health, announced the statistics Saturday night as the country saw a jump in new virus cases.

“We have counted this evening 300 serious cases in intensive care. We have serious cases also amid adults and let me remind you that more than 50 percent of people in intensive care are under 60.”

ImperfectPixie

I meant to quote the person you were responding to, my bad.

However, if you're talking about cable news they all have a bend, which is particularly reinforced by the guests appearing on the 'news' shows. The actual reporting in the mornings and afternoons of all three cable networks are actually quite accurate. BBC News is obviously the gold standard for cable news, but PBS and even CBS and ABC are highly fact-based and great to watch on television. Fox News is however unique in their many shows' ability to actually deliberately misinform with conspiracy theories on the 'shows' and more which the other two don't due; they're just biased. It's really unsettling and is especially dangerous in a public health situation like we've found ourselves in.

I don't think the media has exaggerated this from what I have seen, they've just been reporting what's happening, and it's playing out as they said. I find it more dangerous when people have been spinning this to be not a big deal through deliberate misinformation campaigns in some media outlets and even government officials (perhaps for them). If you've been paying attention, you would have understood this recession was destined to happen way back in January. If you really suggest not treating it like a serious deal, then please, head to Italy, do something that sends you to a hospital (especially COVID-19), and you'll be turned away if you're unlikely to survive or recover rather quickly. That's where we are heading in the United States due to an incompetent/inadequate understanding of the situation. What exactly has been sensationalized? I get my news primarily through AP News, BBC News, Reuters, and NYT/WP for investigative articles. Nobody is telling anyone it's the plague as far as I am concerned. People were freaking out over Ebola due to partisan news even as all the evidence pointed to it being virtually impossible to be widespread here. That info proved correct and was handled appropriately. It seems different this time because it is different, it is a big deal, and it was known a couple of months ago.
Oh, I absolutely think it’s a HUGE deal. I’ve just been over the media in general even since before this. One headline said a man who died on a flight was tested for Covid postmortem...just to get clicks. His death was totally unrelated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giss Neric

We have doubled our Postmates, DoorDash, and UberEats deliveries since being quarantined. I do have food in stock when needed but I just miss eating out more. I'm a basic cook by the way so I mostly don't like my own cooking.

A Noble Fish

Oh, I absolutely think it’s a HUGE deal. I’ve just been over the media in general even since before this. One headline said a man who died on a flight was tested for Covid postmortem...just to get clicks. His death was totally unrelated. Some outlets are taking things Trump says out of context on purpose. The questions that were being asked last week (or maybe a little earlier?) were so obviously an attempt to paint him in a negative light it was disgusting...not defending him at all, but that’s just wrong. Thankfully, they seem to have improved in that regard.
Oh absolutely, you have to be careful where you receive news. That's why I have this trusty fact-checker in my signature haha! Gets you as close to the truth as you possibly can be.

I'm really worried about all the viral fake news on social media. Most of it is right-wing, but a ton of it is left-wing too. Outrage gets clicks. The rise in populism on both sides is fueling distrust in our institutions and that's pretty scary. For those of us that have a brain and want to be educated vs. entertained: AP News, BBC News, Reuter's, Bloomberg, and PBS News are fantastic. ABC News and CBS News are highly accurate as well. The center-left New York Times and Washington Post, and the center-right Boston Herald are great for their legendary investigative reporting and their stringent fact standards. You can others to the mix like The Atlantic and CNN, but for regularly checking the news, those have given me a very accurate worldview, one that I admit I was wrong on my understanding of the institutions themselves.

Jwink

Just remember losses and debt for big business is different then for us. They will be able to write it for for years to come against future profits and for profits they would have had to pay this year. If the business was in good position and under good management before hand they will be OK after.
So what happens to us little guys? 😖

Lilofan

It's a bad thing because the other day I had to look down to make sure I had pants on going into Target. It was a concern that I may have left my house in my underwear. I have childern so I haven't wander the house in a long time naked but I don't have a problem with that.
Even in good times I've seen a few families shop at the grocery store or Target still wearing their pajamas.

Lilofan

Update regarding pay:

the union proposed that the agreement to pay be extended through August and the company said they wouldn’t discuss anything past March 31😖😖😖
Any union can propose anything but WDW to pay everyone a full paycheck through August while a good amount of America no longer getting a paycheck while being furloughed at home? Where Dreams Come True for this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom