Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And current active cases and total recovered. The media keeps reporting the cumulative number, which by definition, will go up every single day. I'm more interested in who currently has it, is it mild or severe, and for those resolved, did they fully recover. That gives you the sense of what we're dealing with here.
That information is available. For example, Florida currently has 160 confirmed cases, 5 deaths, 0 recovered, and 155 active.

ImperfectPixie

Clinical data for the US cases has yet to even be released - what needs to be released is - average age, how many are serious, how many critical and what pre-conditions those patients had (thank you for routinely calling for this Dr Jen Ashton.).
I watched a live Q&A session with a doctor this afternoon, and the symptoms he specifically mentioned were fever and dry cough. He said "some" may experience diarrhea or vomiting, but not many. The questions asked were very well thought out and he seemed to be very earnest in wanting to provide good information. ETA: If he didn't know the answer, he said so.

21stamps

I donā€™t see how thatā€™s relevant. These are medical doctors and experts on infectious disease making projections not some idiot on Facebook.

I do agree with you on one thing...I think your governor may be a moron ;). That 100,000 number he quoted was taken way out of context. The original statement which came from an actual medical expert was something along the lines of if we do nothing it could end up with 100,000 people in the state infected. The media took that and ran with it. I donā€™t trust any of the politicians either, but just because that number is out of context doesnā€™t mean every other person giving their medically backed opinion on this is wrong too.

It means as a society, we have lost the ability to utilize critical thinking skills.

There are so many of us who are going to be facing so much of a burden and disruption over the next several weeks. Yet thereā€™s no reported cases at all in our area. Are hundreds or thousands going to pop up because they havenā€™t done much testing, or have they and all came back negative?
I just donā€™t know why that should be top-secret information.

ImperfectPixie

It means as a society, we have lost the ability to utilize critical thinking skills.

There are so many of us who are going to be facing so much of a burden and disruption over the next several weeks. Yet thereā€™s no reported cases at all in our area. Are hundreds or thousands going to pop up because they havenā€™t done much testing, or have they and all came back negative?
I just donā€™t know why that should be top-secret information.
Your area may be behind in one way or another, like ours was.

21stamps

Did they do a chest x-ray that showed the ground glass signature?

No. I never needed an x-ray. That would have only come if I wouldā€™ve gotten worse. I spent a full week in bed. I still have a little bit of a cough, I tire easily, and my muscles are sore. But Iā€™m rarely having trouble breathing at all now. My fever hovered in the midto high 102s-103 for five days, but it hasnā€™t come back since. I was told it was normal how Iā€™m feeling and this feeling of tired and weakness can last up to a month.

ImperfectPixie

No. I never needed an x-ray. That would have only come if I wouldā€™ve gotten worse. I spent a full week in bed. I still have a little bit of a cough, I tire easily, and my muscles are sore. But Iā€™m rarely having trouble breathing at all now. My fever hovered in the midto high 102s-103 for five days, but it hasnā€™t come back since. I was told it was normal how Iā€™m feeling and this feeling of tired and weakness can last up to a month.
Something else to consider...weā€™re not in the thick of this yet, so someone who comes up negative today may test positive three days from now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nobody is saying it is over, I am giving you the numbers as of right now.

7K dead on earth - total. The cumulative total of people that have ever had it is interesting, but the important numbers are who fully recovered and what is the fatality rate. Let's use far extremes to make a point - if 50 million people had it and nobody died, they just had a bad fever and cough, would you think it's a crisis?

The Swine Flu in the US had 22 million infected - let me pause to say that again - it had 22 million people infected and 4,000 deaths in the US. It's about who is impacted, the fatality rate, and severity.

To me, it's about setting expectations upfront. If the government came out and said "We have a new flu, it's more contagious than influenza, a few million people will get infected, and about 2% are going to die, so let's protect those that are most vulnerable, our elderly and those with these pre-existing conditions", we would have gone about our lives. But for some bizarre reason, in almost all countries there was this concept that this virus would never come to their country and they were going to "contain it". It's just the wrong goal.
What you are describing is exactly what the experts did with their projections. The only problem is without the measures we are taking today the 50 million you call an extreme wasnā€™t even the high point. But letā€™s use that as an example. If the mortality rate is 3% thatā€™s 1.5 million dead. Letā€™s say itā€™s closer to 1% thatā€™s still 500,000 people dead. That mortality rate is lower right now because thereā€™s enough resources to go around. Iā€™m sure you are sick of hearing about flattening the curve and all but if we did nothing the health system would be overrun and the mortality rate would go up...see Italy. Death sucks either way but when people are dying in their homes because they were denied care thatā€™s something far worse than a recession IMHO. Thatā€˜s why we are where we are today.

Protecting those that are vulnerable is impractical. The elderly need medical care, they need food they need drugs. A large number of people in there 50s, 60s and even 70s still work. There are also people with underlying medical conditions. When you add it all up the high risk are a substantial part of our population. High risk doesnā€™t mean they automatically die, many wonā€™t but itā€™s not as easy as you say to just isolate them all.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Ohio update -- the State Health Director Dr. Amy Acton is going to force polling places to close via a health emergency declaration.

I expect this to wind up back in court, with one side saying it's a valid election even if no polling places were open, and the other arguing that common sense requires extension of the voting deadline until after the national and state emergencies have expired.

The Ohio Supreme Court will likely end up deciding whether the primary is tomorrow or later this year.

21stamps

Something else to consider...weā€™re not in the thick of this yet, so someone who comes up negative today may test positive three days from now.

Hereā€™s my county,
Immediate Health risk ā€œlowā€.. but no stats at all on how many people have been tested. Without that, how do they know what the risk is?
Can people trust it enough to not have to do such drastic arrangements as theyā€™re currently doing?
Hamilton county, where Cincinnati is located, is directly to my south- they have 0 reported cases as well.. Butler county is my neighbor to the west, they have one family who was all infected and currently quarantined . Weā€™re all 3 part of the same metropolitan area.
To be able to quantify a risk, wouldnā€™t we need more information than what is provided here?
7D1355BF-4701-4236-B930-F4D3A2050952.jpeg

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

What you are describing is exactly what the experts did with their projections. The only problem is without the measures we are taking today the 50 million you call an extreme wasnā€™t even the high point. But letā€™s use that as an example. If the mortality rate is 3% thatā€™s 1.5 million dead. Letā€™s say itā€™s closer to 1% thatā€™s still 500,000 people dead. That mortality rate is lower right now because thereā€™s enough resources to go around. Iā€™m sure you are sick of hearing about flattening the curve and all but if we did nothing the health system would be overrun and the mortality rate would go up...see Italy. Death sucks either way but when people are dying in their homes because they were denied care thatā€™s something far worse than a recession IMHO. Thatā€˜s why we are where we are today.

Protecting those that are vulnerable is impractical. The elderly need medical care, they need food they need drugs. A large number of people in there 50s, 60s and even 70s still work. There are also people with underlying medical conditions. When you add it all up the high risk are a substantial part of our population. High risk doesnā€™t mean they automatically die, many wonā€™t but itā€™s not as easy as you say to just isolate them all.
There have been years where over 600K people have died globally from influenza.

And?

Were you on these forums passionately worried about those deaths?

I'm just trying to connect dots in the logic.

The difference in those years is we didn't intentionally significantly impact the global economy, wipe out trillions of value, countless jobs, and people's financial futures.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There have been years where over 600K people have died globally from influenza.

And?

Were you on these forums passionately worried about those deaths?

I'm just trying to connect dots in the logic.
500K to 1.5 million Americans dead. Not worldwide. The mortality rate is 10 to 20 times really bad flu seasons.

This is not just the flu. You are at least 2 weeks behind on that argument. ;)

disneygeek90

Good news for Central Florida. The convention center is being planned as a drive thru test center. I have to admit it seems a bit "surreal" after reading about these things for the past several months. Soon a test site will only be a few miles from me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Hereā€™s my county,
Immediate Health risk ā€œlowā€.. but no stats at all on how many people have been tested. Without that, how do they know what the risk is?
Can people trust it enough to not have to do such drastic arrangements as theyā€™re currently doing?
Hamilton county, where Cincinnati is located, is directly to my south- they have 0 reported cases as well.. Butler county is my neighbor to the west, they have one family who was all infected and currently quarantined . Weā€™re all 3 part of the same metropolitan area.
To be able to quantify a risk, wouldnā€™t we need more information than what is provided here?
View attachment 456756
Answer this question: how many people are infected and infectious but are asymptomatic? If they're in that category, they would not be tested anyway.

That's why I think you should just assume that everyone is infected, and everyone should keep to themselves in a semi-isolated place until their area clears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom