Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No. That’s not what was said!!! They were very clear about that.

It’s a 2 weeks cycle that could remain until August, but not saying that everything should be closed til August.
Yes, Dr Fauci had to jump in and clarify that the July/August statement was how long the virus could be present in the country not the shelter in place timeline. The lockdown is still 2 weeks to be reassessed April 1st. Based on CDC recommendation seems like that is likely to go 8 weeks vs 2 but it really depends how well people follow and how much the spread increases or slows.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
1584390168565.png

1584390178685.png

Joesixtoe

People can be very afraid of change. That's ok too. I'm afraid of this, but more so because of the economic issues it's presenting on us. We have to adhere to caution, but at the same time not panic. This is a harsher case of the flu. The flu kills people every year, but we go on. Let's slow down the transmission rate, so we can properly help those in need, but don't stock pile toilet paper!!

RobWDW1971

Disney should have closed effective immediately. Tough vacation ending, but there's an extremely high chance we got a good amount of infections yesterday.
Remember this sentence when they announce their openings. The day they closed, Florida only had 152 active cases in the entire state. Do you believe magically (word choice intentional) the virus will be completely gone, there will be less than 152 active cases, and there will be no more infections and death after they rationalize opening? Of course not, we will just hear some equally nonsensical "the worst is behind us", "the curve has been flattened", etc. and then everyone will move on with life. The fact they even said they would open April 1st shows they are not really serious. Oh, and BTW on Sunday, Space Mountain had a two hour line so the guests don't seem to care.

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
We are having to cut our trip one day short more than likely. What a bummer. This was turning out to be the best ever. Still was about to go to all parks twice. It’s just a sad state of things even though I’m sitting right here in Disney Springs and it’s business as usual

Disneyson

I agree. The doctors will only be criticized for underselling the severity of the situation. And with the dearth of information (we have some data but little information), nobody is willing to give a well reasoned forecast. That's why you see these models with 100% infection rates - which feeds the hysteria.

I haven't seen any rational information that fully supports the draconian decisions that are being forced on everyone. This has moved to an emotional response and the public shaming of anyone who doesn't fall in line is fully in force.

I still go back to ground zero - Wuhan. The coronavirus was uncontained for more than a month in Wuhan. Yes there were curfews and armed guards that would not let anyone leave the city but that wasn't until after the death rate became high. Since everyone is quoting an exponential infection rate, Wuhan should be a wasteland. Wuhan has a population of 11 million yet all of China only has ~80,000 reported cases. If all of the cases were in Wuhan that translates into 0.7% infection rate. That means to me that either the infection rate is much lower than what is being discussed OR (quite possibly AND) the severity % is much lower. Implicitly people are thinking that there is both a high infection rate and high severity rate. Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions but, IMO, the numbers in Wuhan just don't match the doomsday scenarios being discussed.

To be absolutely fair, China has changed the criteria for being tested three times transparently. The numbers are a little skewed because of this. It’s also worth noting that people mught have died of a heart attack or other illnesses due to a compromised immune system. I’m not sure if they’d classify that death a disease-related death on paper, though, it’s hard to say.

Even if the data isn’t obfuscated at all, I think people will feel differently when the disease begins to touch their loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom