Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

I'm working from home. My daughter is , as well (alternating between her home and ours.) My husband is a bartender and karaoke/trivia host, so he's not working at all. :/
At work, the hydrogen peroxide the company ordered in order for us to clean daily has been denied. Company says priority goes to hospitals and health care facilities. So 800 ppl in a factory and no cleaning supplies. :confused:

rowrbazzle

I agree with you here. I think most people are just doing their normal rates because it's babysitting and they aren't really thinking about the big picture. I don't think it's good to say this is a bad sign of how humanity bus reacting to this. I wouldn't look at it as price gouging or anything. I think there's just room for negotiation and conversation. If someone wants to offer me $200 a week to watch their kid I will!! Lol

Indeed. I think there's plenty of room between $6.25 and $15 an hour to come to an agreement. But if the high school student doesn't want to take less than minimum wage, I surely can't fault them.

ifan

So...there is currently rumored talk coming out of airports of discussions regarding closing some, if not all, commercial airports here in the US. Came
from a teammate that was on a national crisis call.

Again, not confirmed...but that’s pretty much the definition of a rumor.

Anything is possible and on the table - but I don't think that would even be big news at this point considering most of the flights have already been cancelled. It's hard to find flights right now even with open airports. And for friends that have booked some, they are getting cancelled/changed constantly.

amjt660

Premium Member
Those are not at all comparable. These are kids who can not be in school, having to do school work from home, all sports and extracurriculars cancelled.. they wouldn’t be babysitting otherwise.

I am in the minority apparently. I can say with certainty that I would never encourage my own child to charge standard rates in this non-standard scenario. It is extra money for them, versus the extra childcare expenses that no parent could have planned for. I feel it’s wrong. To each their own, though.
I can’t say any more than I’ve already said. This isn’t a normal babysitter scenario, nor is it a normal time in this country.

I will agree to disagree.
Hello @21stamps
I have not posted in this thread but felt compelled

I agree that this is a fluid situation and that it is not a case of poor planning - a global crisis that is resulting in undesirable situations

The rates being proposed do not seem outrageous to me - I think you just have to extend your nets to catch a better offer.
Many parents will be requiring the service - it may entice more HS students to consider the opportunity to make some money (for either themselves or to support their families)
If (when) the school closures are extended you might see more adults available who could take on the task and force the HS students to lower their rates.
Supply and demand - if you can increase the supply the price should come down- it may take a few days of higher cost but over the course of the next 2-4-6-8 weeks (depending on how long this takes) you may get enough competition on the Supply side to see the rates come down.

(and before you ask I have two grown children in University so I am not directly involved at this time)

Just my two cents
Max

21stamps

[
Hello @21stamps
I have not posted in this thread but felt compelled

I agree that this is a fluid situation and that it is not a case of poor planning - a global crisis that is resulting in undesirable situations

The rates being proposed do not seem outrageous to me - I think you just have to extend your nets to catch a better offer.
Many parents will be requiring the service - it may entice more HS students to consider the opportunity to make some money (for either themselves or to support their families)
If (when) the school closures are extended you might see more adults available who could take on the task and force the HS students to lower their rates.
Supply and demand - if you can increase the supply the price should come down- it may take a few days of higher cost but over the course of the next 2-4-6-8 weeks (depending on how long this takes) you may get enough competition on the Supply side to see the rates come down.

(and before you ask I have two grown children in University so I am not directly involved at this time)

Just my two cents
Max

I don’t know where it’s normal high school freshman & sophomores to net $450-$750 per week.. but they’re not going to make it from me. I’ll figure something out.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I do understand rates, I just think since we’re in a situation where kids have to still do schoolwork at that time, and the babysitter would be using a couple of hours where it’s just her/him sitting in my house doing their own schooling.. how would they count that as a normal rate?? That’s what I find so frustrating. They would be doing that work during that time anyway,. But charging me normal rates for being present in the same house even though nothing else is required of them during that 2-3 hours??

These are unprecedented times. I guess I just thought students would see this as opportunity to make some extra money, but not on this scale. Most 15-16 year olds are not making over $250 per week take home.
I’m just shocked.
What do you think they do in the evening, when you hire them to watch your kid while you're out with the girls?*

*not saying you go out with the girls, just saying that any time you hire a babysitter, they pretty much do what they want/need to when not interacting with their charges.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
At work, the hydrogen peroxide the company ordered in order for us to clean daily has been denied. Company says priority goes to hospitals and health care facilities. So 800 ppl in a factory and no cleaning supplies. :confused:
Food manufacturers, gas stations, truckers, the list of people who are essential during a crisis is a lot longer than the various governments are giving credit for right now.

ImperfectPixie

[

I don’t know where it’s normal high school freshman & sophomores to net $450-$750 per week.. but they’re not going to make it from me. I’ll figure something out.
It's not. Honestly, I'm of the opinion that since at least the 1990s, young people (18 and under) have been overestimating their value when it comes to pay rates.

21stamps

What do you think they do in the evening, when you hire them to watch your kid while you're out with the girls?*

*not saying you go out with the girls, just saying that any time you hire a babysitter, they pretty much do what they want/need to when not interacting with their charges.

Right. Entirely different circumstances. This is school hours where all of them would have been at school, and a steady 3 weeks (minimum) of being paid.

ImperfectPixie

In the 1990s I made $5.25 an hour as a teenager at my best paying job. I made far less as a paperboy and a camp counselor. I didn't think anything was unusual.
At the time, that wasn't unusual. But we've got teenagers turning their nose up at $10 an hour tax free these days.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I would 1000000000% rather have stayed at home and done my homework in peace than do it while being responsible for another human in someone else's house outside of all my creature comforts (and snacks). I do feel for all the parents who are now scrambling to find care, but I wouldn't be mad if my kid charged a normal babysitting rate during this time. Their time is valuable too, and they're taking a risk by being in your house and exposing themselves to all the germs you may or may not have picked up while you were at work all day.

I wouldn't support price gouging for services though. But when I was a teenager we charged $10 an hour for babysitting one kid, and that was 20 years ago.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Right. Entirely different circumstances. This is school hours where all of them would have been at school, and a steady 3 weeks (minimum) of being paid.
Well, they don't see it that way. To them, sitting there "watching" your kid is what they're being paid for and that's worth $10 or more per hour.

It's like the difference between dropping your kid off at the Neverland Club or hiring the in-room babysitting service.

Those wanting cheap(er) rates will have to put their kids in a group setting.

Or, if you have the ready cash, explore the option of hiring an au pair.

Last edited:

21stamps

At the time, that wasn't unusual. But we've got teenagers turning their nose up at $10 an hour tax free these days.

I think the huge point that people are missing is that this is full time care.. full time guaranteed pay, tax free, for a minimum of 3 weeks, most likely longer.

Kids that age aren’t babysitting that many hours per week during the school year. What they’re asking for a 4th grader is higher than in home childcare for a toddler.

21stamps

I will figure this out. What’s sad is that society doesn’t realize how many women and parents will not be able to figure this out, and will slowly bleed in the process if we are supporting these kind of babysitting rates for parents who still have to work while they’ve already paid for child care for their kids but now schools are closed.

If anyone doesn’t think that will have an impact on our economy, then you’re really not looking at the big picture. Society is doing great things like providing meals to underprivileged children even when school is canceled during this time, they are providing unemployment to people who Cannot work normally due to this. However, there a millions of parents who don’t fit either category there, and will see their expenses so drastically rise.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImperfectPixie

I think the huge point that people are missing is that this is full time care.. full time guaranteed pay, tax free, for a minimum of 3 weeks, most likely longer.

Kids that age aren’t babysitting that many hours per week during the school year. What they’re asking for a 4th grader is higher than in home childcare for a toddler.
Yup. 12 years ago, I was paying $200 per week for day care for my then-toddler.

21stamps

I made $3.75 at my first job. My paychecks were typically around $50 every two weeks

How much do you pay for your daughter’s preschool, per week? I know it is a group setting, but these are schools with teachers with degrees and kids having activities throughout the entire day needing constant supervision. My kid went to a fancy preschool and it wasn’t even $750 per week. These HS kids are out of their minds. Best of luck to them though. I’m just checking my email waiting for someone realistic to respond. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom