Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta

Ever been to Italy outside of the tourist areas or into an Italian hospital? These nearly third world countries will get hit much harder by every disease.

Ok, this comes from wikipedia.
But your statement couldn’t be more wrong if you tried:

In 2000 Italy's healthcare system was regarded, by World Health Organization's ranking, as the 2nd best in the world after France,[3] and according to the World Health Organization, Italy has the world's 6th highest life expectancy.[4] The life expectancy at birth in Italy was 82.3 years in 2012, which is over two years above the OECD average.[2]

JusticeDisney

People are absolutely acting like they need to go into a bunker and it's ridiculous. A woman here in east TN got the virus while she was on a cruise and they kept her quarantined and she just made it back home. She said that she had no idea she was even sick and they tested her as a precaution and it turned out that she had it. She was 74 years old and she was on the news here telling people not to panic. I'm sure when people saw that report though they went out and bought even more stupid stuff like toilet paper and paper towels because that's how dumb people are. I'm fine with Disney wanting to close the parks if they want to from a business standpoint but people are forgetting that it's out of PRECAUTION and instead people are walking around like they're just waiting their turn to get some virus and then fall over dead. It angers me that the media has made people live in such a state of fear over a sickness that's really not that serious in the grand scheme of things. SARS killed a lot of people. West Nile killed a lot of people. Swine Flu killed a lot of people. However, there wasn't NEAR the pandemonium for those that there has been for this one. It just seems to me the most positive way to look at it is to think of the odds of SURVIVAL vs the odds of dying. When my buddy's wife got her cancer diagnosis they were telling her all the steps she needed to take and when they went to discuss radiation the Dr told her she could still have a 15% chance of it coming back and that really made her feel a sense of panic and when my buddy called to tell me about it I asked him why the Dr couldn't have instead said "you have an 85% chance of never having this again"? People just focus on the negative and will not be persuaded otherwise. I'm not saying everyone should go around coughing on each other. I'm just saying people are acting irrationally because they are.
368 people in Italy died in the last 24 hours from this virus. But yeah, you’re right, people are totally overreacting.

rowrbazzle

Take it with a grain of salt. Earlier in the thread Twitter told us the CP people were all being forced out immediately even if they have no way to get home. That was proven to not be true. I doubt anyone at Disney has the first clue what they will do once things re-open.

It may have been true at the time. The letter posted says the situation is changing rapidly. If they'd had such a clear plan for accommodations, then why didn't they convey it from the get-go?

As a comparison, when one of our local universities decided to move all classes online there was information about housing for students provided at the same time as the announcement.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It may have been true at the time. The letter posted says the situation is changing rapidly. If they'd had such a clear plan for accommodations, then why didn't they convey it from the get-go?

As a comparison, when one of our local universities decided to move all classes online there was information about housing for students provided at the same time as the announcement.
Sure it could have been true...or it could have been a false rumor that someone tried to pass off as a fact. That never happens on Twitter ;)

21stamps

Indiana Department of health has their own site. As of March 14th 19 confirmed cases, 121 tests performed. I just assumed every state had a similar site.

Do they break it down by county?

I have yet to see that done anywhere. I want to know where people are being tested within a state, and the results.

Overlordkitty

Not to get nerdy on you, but cruise lines, airlines, and most hotel chains are highly leveraged and going months without cash flow will trigger their debt covenants requiring either bankruptcy, Fed (meaning taxpayer) bailouts, etc. Also, these European banks like Italy do not have the same banking standards as the US and will soon be looking to their EU counterparts to save them (BTW, UK very happy about Brexit right now). It will impact millions of employees' jobs, futures, savings, promotion opportunities, growth, etc. It's a real thing.

And on the local level:

The coronavirus outbreak is likely to be particularly challenging for small companies because they tend to operate on thinner margins and with smaller cash reserves. A 2019 report by the JPMorgan Chase Institute looked at 1.4 million small businesses with a business banking deposit account at the bank and found 29% of businesses in a typical community were unprofitable, and 47% had less than two weeks of cash liquidity.

Do you think these businesses would have been operating normally without any of the government restrictions that are now in place? The businesses were seeing the decline and making changes even before the government acted.

rowrbazzle

Sure it could have been true...or it could have been a false rumor that someone tried to pass off as a fact. That never happens on Twitter ;)

I dunno. If it was false, then there'd be no need for a follow-up letter because it would have been clear to those impacted from the beginning. Either they didn't have a plan, which is really crappy. Or they did, but didn't convey it. That's better, but still crappy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I dunno. If it was false, then there'd be no need for a follow-up letter because it would have been clear to those impacted from the beginning. Either they didn't have a plan, which is really crappy. Or they did, but didn't convey it. That's better, but still crappy.
Both those scenarios are possible, but its also possible they had a plan, it was communicated to the people impacted when they asked the question but in a rush to get the scoop out there someone tweeted out their assumption which was wrong. The danger with Twitter is people just throw stuff out there with no accountability in a rush to be the first one who said it.

ImperfectPixie

Things are changing VERY quickly...like hour-by-hour quickly. It's also possible Disney had to make the initial announcement quickly and hadn't been able to hash out the details yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom