Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Okay, now multiply those families by multiple thousands...and it will make the effort of closing the schools useless. Avoiding large gatherings includes avoiding places like Great Wolf Lodge, movie theaters, etc. etc.

FWIW, they said it’s the least crowded they’ve ever seen. Today, I’m curious as to what Mon-Wed will be like.

I’ll agree to disagree with you on avoiding hotels altogether. I think people should do what they’re comfortable with, especially if relatively young and not around the sick or elderly.

21stamps

It's not though. There are still plenty of places around here in western NY that are still open. Disney isn't even all the way closed. Planes/trains/buses/subways all still running. It's not just a few selfish people.

Italy went on lock down to fix the issue. There are rumors it is coming for the US. So why not just do it now and get it over with before things get worse?

Because not every business and not every person can afford to just shut down.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s not though. Do you think all businesses should close?
I think that we can limit a spread without complete lockdown.. hopefully.
It’s pretty simple. When they say no gatherings over X people, avoid places where X people or more would gather. That’s an easy thing to follow. There is also a big push to have people avoid places where people from multiple areas might get together. That helps to avoid spread and create new hot spots. We don’t need a complete lockdown or all businesses to close, just some common sense. We also need more testing and more quarantines when people test positive. Until testing ramps up people should assume anyone and everyone around them could be sick. If we ramp up testing and get caught up and eventually ahead of this thing the extreme social distancing will be shorter lived. If people can’t help themselves or believe this is a hoax or overreaction the disease will spread and instead of weeks of complete disruption to all of our lives we could be facing months and a whole lot more damage to the economy long term.

21stamps

It’s pretty simple. When they say no gatherings over X people, avoid places where X people or more would gather. That’s an easy thing to follow. There is also a big push to have people avoid places where people from multiple areas might get together. That helps to avoid spread and create new hot spots. We don’t need a complete lockdown or all businesses to close, just some common sense. We also need more testing and more quarantines when people test positive. Until testing ramps up people should assume anyone and everyone around them could be sick. If we ramp up testing and get caught up and eventually ahead of this thing the extreme social distancing will be shorter lived. If people can’t help themselves or believe this is a hoax or overreaction the disease will spread and instead of weeks of complete disruption to all of our lives we could be facing months and a whole lot more damage to the economy long term.

What do you feel would be a complete appropriate list of places to avoid?

Also, if we’re telling everyone to avoid any retail store, flight, train, grocer, hotel, museum, bank, park, beach, etc etc.. then do we just start the layoffs now?
There will be less people out and less huge gatherings, but the effects of cutting it off altogether would be worse than it already is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's why I am glad I play video games. I can game with a large group of friends, in isolation, no worries. So in short, everyone should play more video games.
My boss just bought his son a Nintendo Switch. His wife was against getting any video game systems until they closed schools until April. She told him to get whatever system has Mario Cart. With Prime delivery its coming on Tuesday :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What do you feel would be a complete appropriate list of places to avoid?

Also, if we’re telling everyone to avoid any retail store, flight, train, grocer, hotel, museum, bank, park, beach, etc etc.. then do we just start the layoffs now?
There will be less people out and less huge gatherings, but the effects of cutting it off altogether would be worse than it already is.
Use common sense. Avoid unnecessary contact with other people, especially large crowds. Do things you need to do, avoid things you don’t. It’s not going to kill people to chill out at home for a little while. If you need to go to work, go. If you can work remotely do it. Don’t have kids (including college students) in school for a little while. If you need groceries or medicine go get it, but no need to go shopping at the mall. Nobody needs to go to a museum, a theme park, a beach, a resort, a sporting event, etc.

As far as layoffs go, the shorter social distancing is needed the less of a hit the economy takes. Places like Hong Kong, Taiwan and S Korea ramped up testing and implemented quarantine protocols immediately. They are in a lot better place economically than Italy which if the US doesn’t act quickly is going to be our future. If things get way worse instead of better the long term impact to the economy will be devastating. Maybe the social distancing won’t work, but it is irresponsible to not even try.

21stamps

Use common sense. Avoid unnecessary contact with other people, especially large crowds. Do things you need to do, avoid things you don’t. It’s not going to kill people to chill out at home for a little while. If you need to go to work, go. If you can work remotely do it. Don’t have kids (including college students) in school for a little while. If you need groceries or medicine go get it, but no need to go shopping at the mall. Nobody needs to go to a museum, a theme park, a beach, a resort, a sporting event, etc.

As far as layoffs go, the shorter social distancing is needed the less of a hit the economy takes. Places like Hong Kong, Taiwan and S Korea ramped up testing and implemented quarantine protocols immediately. They are in a lot better place economically than Italy which if the US doesn’t act quickly is going to be our future. If things get way worse instead of better the long term impact to the economy will be devastating. Maybe the social distancing won’t work, but it is irresponsible to not even try.

I think a lot of people are confusing the recommendation of “social distancing” with “quarantine”. We’re not in a quarantine. We’re not told to be. We still need local economies to have something.

This is what is most frustrating about all of this... people are all over the place mentally on this,.. because we’ve never experienced anything like it.

If people want to quarantine themselves when perfectly healthy, that’s fine... but it’s not what’s asked of us right now.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

He seems to have caught the stupid. I'm out too as I have a family to support and can't afford to catch it.
LOL! So he says "15%" and I say so that means 85% won't and I'm somehow "stupid". I will put it this way. If you knew you had an 85% chance of winning billions on the powerball would you say it would be way too risky to buy a ticket or would you feel you have really great odds of winning? You're scared of something that even IF "4%" of people will die from doesn't that mean 96% will NOT die? How is my math wrong and how am I being irrational?

21stamps

Well for those that did not like the plan to go to Great Wolf Lodge...It is now a moot point.
Great Wolf Lodge just announced that at 2pm Sunday they will be closing all of their resorts.

Can’t say that I’m shocked. Glad they’re waiting til Sunday so people can finish out their weekend stays.

eliza61nyc

LOL! So he says "15%" and I say so that means 85% won't and I'm somehow "stupid". I will put it this way. If you knew you had an 85% chance of winning billions on the powerball would you say it would be way too risky to buy a ticket or would you feel you have really great odds of winning? You're scared of something that even IF "4%" of people will die from doesn't that mean 96% will NOT die? How is my math wrong and how am I being irrational?
Oh easy, because your ignoring the fact that we're not talking dollars, we're talking about living beings so yeah I'm scared of something that is easily transmittable AND the potential to kill 13 million (using your numbers) adults

So yes if someone wanted me to buy a lottery ticket that said I had a 4% chance of having to die,. I'd pass. Oh and the odds actually go up if you are over a certain age.

But I also don't drive drunk, skydive or any other risky behavior and I get a flu shot annually. No one is saying folks need to go full on bunker in the basement but closing a theme park for a month seems a pretty easy thing to do.

Last edited:

RyanH

You assume this is going to be over in 2 weeks. It won't... remember how long China has been battling it and they are only now getting to a point where fewer people are being diagnosed than are getting over it, and they are a country where the government can do massive lockdowns and the people accept it. I don't think the US is taking nearly as decisive measure which means we will only see more cases over the next two weeks... My guess is the 2 weeks will turn into April and then who knows...

We are due to arrive from the UK on 1st April. It seems like the worst possible date. We too think it will go into April but until this is confirmed we can do nothing and we don't expect it to be confirmed until late March. Although Disney will let you reschedule for any bookings through June 30th, our travel agent won't currently and so no point rescheduling the hotel and park tickets if we can do nothing with our flights.

Despite our disappointment I am in the camp that it was the right decision. It is obviously frustrating though. Our 'Plan B' is currently to move to October (school holidays) but I fear many others will do the same, options will be minimal and prices will rise. We may end up with a refund and having to start over. With prices being so high for 2021 (50th anniversary) it could be two years before we return. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom