Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangojim

Well today has been an absolutely exhausting day. 30 minutes after I got out of class I got an email saying all classes were being forced to move online, all the Disney park closures were announced, the DOW absolutely tanked, and the ongoing oil war isn't looking too hot. I literally had to stop and take a nap mid day to get a break from just hearing bad news after bad news (I'm pretty annoyed with classes moving online, even though I was originally in 2 in person, 1 hybrid, and 2 online classes, I liked being in person for the 2 classes because it really made learning tough topics easier).
You’re still healthy and alive. We’ll get through this and be able to tell our grandkids about the pandemic of 2020. The market will rebound eventually along with the economy. Everything will be OK.

VJ

Well today has been an absolutely exhausting day. 30 minutes after I got out of class I got an email saying all classes were being forced to move online, all the Disney park closures were announced, the DOW absolutely tanked, and the ongoing oil war isn't looking too hot. I literally had to stop and take a nap mid day to get a break from just hearing bad news after bad news (I'm pretty annoyed with classes moving online, even though I was originally in 2 in person, 1 hybrid, and 2 online classes, I liked being in person for the 2 classes because it really made learning tough topics easier).
i hope things get better for you personally ♥

bubbles1812

Emergency rooms across the country are preparing for a crush of cases, but with limited capacity and supplies, administrators fear they will not be ready.

Yes.

Emergency rooms.

Not the system as whole. Not the supply chain of medical devices. Not the treatment chain.

Emergency rooms.

And, having had to deal with Emergency Rooms, I can tell you, it gets nuts when people decide en masse to swamp them.

And yes, you can't logistically deal with it.

That doesn't mean we can't deal with the issue at large. It merely means if every person who thinks they have the disease shows up to an emergency room (please do not do that), it could overwhelm the system at large.

Why? Because emergency rooms are easy to overwhelm.

My experience was AMEDD, where we had three general categories.

1) Emergency (because it was field medicine, true emergency)
2) Vet and Retired (very common routine stuff)
3) Recoup (which is people who needed long term care)

You aren't gonna die tomorrow. Not everything is an emergency.

PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM.

Look for a local Urgent Care or GP. Yeah, it may not be YOUR GP, but look for that.
I can tell you, as a family physician, who works for a large independent physician group, we do not have enough supplies. Our N95 masks are under lock and key at my site as is the rest of our PPE equipment to prevent them from “walking off.” We were informed use one squirt per bottle on our liquid hand sanitizer because what we have in the building is what we will have for the time being. That too is on backorder.

Everything is back ordered and the two major hospital systems with their own outpatient clinics in town (my metro area is between 300-450K depending on how you count it) also do not have enough supplies.

How do I know this? Because our three major groups are coordinating and everyone is coming up short. This isn’t just an emergency room thing. There are simply limited resources and until/when production ramps up on the PPE equipment, there is not enough. And if there isn’t enough here, there isn’t enough most everywhere.

Everything is being used very judiciously because we know we have limited supplies. And those supply chains you speak of...You think we’re just going to magically get more when we run out?

There is panic and hysteria for certain, and it’s not helping things. Just cause you have a cough does not mean it’s Coronavirus. But if you think that if people stay away from the ERs and go to their GP, of which I am one, it’s just gonna be all ok cause of course *we* have enough equipment, you’re fooling yourself.

(PS I’m also a sub for our group’s urgent care. They screened 300+ people yesterday virtually to determine who might actually need testing for Covid. The wait was 3+ hours. So telling people “oh just go to urgent care” isn’t as simple as you think.)

I’ve been appalled by some of your rather dismissive comments. As I said, the panic is not helping but neither are people like you, taking a completely blase’ attitude based on your apparent experiences in medicine 20 years ago. It’s changed a bit since then.

I’ve said my piece. Now I’m going to go take care of my patients.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

I can tell you, as a family physician, who works for a large independent physician group, we do not have enough supplies. Our N95 masks are under lock and key at my site as is the rest of our PPE equipment. We were informed use one squirt per bottle on our liquid hand sanitizer because what we have in the building is what we will have for the time being. That too is on backorder.

Everything is back ordered and the two major hospital systems with their own outpatient clinics in town (my metro area is between 300-450K depending on how you count it) also do not have enough supplies.

How do I know this? Because our three major groups are coordinating and everyone is coming up short. This isn’t just an emergency room thing. There are simply limited resources and until/when production ramps up on the PPE equipment, there is not enough. And if there isn’t enough here, there isn’t enough most everywhere.

Everything is being used very judiciously because we know we have limited supplies. And those supply chains you speak of...You think we’re just going to magically get more when we run out?

There is panic and hysteria for certain, and it’s not helping things. Just cause you have a cough does not mean it’s Coronavirus. But if you think that if people stay away from the ERs and go to their GP, of which I am one, it’s just gonna be all ok cause of course *we* have enough equipment, you’re fooling yourself.

(PS I’m also a sub for our group’s urgent care. They screened 300+ people yesterday virtually to determine who might actually need testing for Covid. The wait was 3+ hours. So telling people “oh just go to urgent care” isn’t as simple as you think.)

I’ve been appalled by some of your rather dismissive comments. As I said, the panic is not helping but neither are people like you, taking a completely blase’ attitude based on your apparent experiences in medicine 20 years ago. It’s changed a bit since then.

I’ve said my peace. Now I’m going to go take care of my patients.
Perfectly said. Misinformation is being spread here, by some people here as in the real world. Any link anyone posts will be hit hard by these certain people as being fake. Unfortunately if we all don’t take this seriously it will keep spreading. I do believe the majority of people do understand this.

thomas998

This is an awful decision. We’re shooting ourselves in the foot over Something similar to the common cold. Absolutely ridiculous.
Considering that no one dies from the common cold and people do die from this virus I would say you're a little off base with that comment. The reality is the only way to stop the spread of the virus until it burns out is to close down any events that pull in lots of people... even more critical to stop people from gathering from far flung places into a single place. If you wanted to have everyone in Montana or Idaho have a group hug it wouldn't matter because they have no cases... but as soon as you get people from areas where the virus has been found rubbing elbows with other people you are going to spread it. At this point the US still isn't taking it seriously because they still haven't shut down the airports completely which is what they should do. No place is going to be better for transmitting this virus all over the country than the airports... but places like Disney are probably running a close second place for helping to spread it.

Rimmit

I haven't watched a second of news or heard one thing from a politician. And yes, I do keep up with the CDC. The issue is in your bolded. 5.0% admitted to the ICU. The concern is not really the number of deaths directly from the virus (which we do not know yet), it's the overwhelming of the hospitals.

Italy is in real trouble with it:

In Seattle:

Worries from Harvard:

If hospitals are overwhelmed, now you are affecting people well beyond those with COVID-19. That is why you have seen the responses you have seen in other countries. And that is why there is such worry by the experts here.

I work exclusively in an ICU taking care of critically ill patients. There are days when I am out of vents (ventilators) and CPAPs and High flow nasal canulas and forcing people who may have benefited from another day of higher level therapy, but have had to bump them off a little early and push them because I needed that vent. There are only so many vents in a hospital. And hospitals can already run out of them BEFORE the corona virus. There are only so many ECMO circuits in a given area. (ECMO is total cardio respiratory support). Most hospitals have 0 as they are only in the highest level care centers such as an academic center. If this strikes in a rural area.... this would be a complete disaster of epic proportions as rural communities have extremely limited resources. (I practice in a rural community) Even then, top hospitals may have between just 2-4 of these ECMO circuits and one of those is reserved for backup in the event of circuit failure. (I am sure if corona hit we would eliminate the requirement to have a backup). Point is the death rate in Wuhan was so high because they were just out of life saving equipment. The death rate when this disease is slowed is much improved around 0.7 percent. But if you look at the overwhelmed health systems like Italy and China this becomes a disaster because there just isn’t enough equipment to go around. It is imperative we slow this disease to give the hospitals the ability to cope otherwise many deaths that would otherwise be avoidable WILL occur.

ImperfectPixie

She is my public enemy number one. She has caused me so much heartache and time regarding vaccine education.
I really feel like she should be fined in the millions for the damage she has done. Autism Speaks was just as bad, advocating for a "cure" for autism. (The verbiage on their website has changed, but I'll NEVER associate myself with them...even as an autism mom.)

Rimmit

I can tell you, as a family physician, who works for a large independent physician group, we do not have enough supplies. Our N95 masks are under lock and key at my site as is the rest of our PPE equipment. We were informed use one squirt per bottle on our liquid hand sanitizer because what we have in the building is what we will have for the time being. That too is on backorder.

I’ve said my peace. Now I’m going to go take care of my patients.
In our hospital, all our hand sanitizer and masks are being stolen. We now have them at the nurses station only as we are also running very low on PPE supplies.

Rimmit

I really feel like she should be fined in the millions for the damage she has done. Autism Speaks was just as bad, advocating for a "cure" for autism. (The verbiage on their website has changed, but I'll NEVER associate myself with them...even as an autism mom.)

She should be sued by the AAP. The amount of man hours that I and many other healthcare providers have wasted on vaccine education because of her cannot be understated.

That being said Lost amid the Corona chaos is the most infectious disease known to man, the measles. By WHO estimates, in 2018 140,000 children died from the measles worldwide. (Mostly in Africa and third world countries). This is a disease that is 100 percent preventable with a time proven vaccine.

Thats all I am going to say about that as I don’t want to start an off topic war in this forum about the MMR vaccine.

Point is if we even get a vaccine.... will people even get it?? This will be one of the least tested vaccines in the history of man and we are going to mass manufacture and try administer to millions if not billions in 12-18 months. I am not sure people are gonna be willing to tolerate that when we have vaccines that have been studied for decades proven safe and administered to billions of people and people still won’t get vaccinated.

John park hopper

I really wish adds would fill all forms of media letting people know what mild symptoms are so they don’t feel the need to run to their doctor/clinic/Er.
My wife worked ER for many years the things people came to the ER for made me shake my head in disbelief. Things any sane person would take care of themselves. I can only imagine what some people will be running to the ER for- wasting medical staff time and space.

Last edited:

Rimmit

My wife worked ER for many years the things people came to the ER for made me shake my head in disbelief. Things any sane person would make care of themselves. I can only imagine what some people will be running to the ER for- wasting medical staff time and space.
When healthcare is free that’s what people do. I once had a patient sign into the ED, get triaged to the end of the line because it was a cold. Then go home, call EMS, come in via ambulance because they thought it would be faster. They still went to the back of the line.

It is incredibly frustrating.

Epcotfan21

I get Springs staying open but why keep the resorts open if the parks are closed? I imagine most everyone that had a trip planned between March 16 through the end of March isn’t going to come down and do a resort only stay.

Guess I could see them trying to entice locals to do a staycation at cheap rates??

Piebald

This could be a lie or completely misconstrued but I have an acquaintance who presented symptoms like dry cough and sob. This person was literally on an Asian cruise like right when the news was developing so has some reason for concern.

The local hospital here in Orlando was contacted by her after she felt the CDC and health dept were inadequate in their sense of urgency and was very meticulous about not just showing up into an ER. They told her to come in and upon showing up she was told to pay $1000 to get tested.

Does anyone actually know anyone NOT on Medicare who has been able to get tested? If that's her experience then along with my friends parents' experience being quarantined on a military base after being on the cruise off CA, this whole situation sounds like its ready to explode and not in a good way.

esskay

I get Springs staying open but why keep the resorts open if the parks are closed? I imagine most everyone that had a trip planned between March 16 through the end of March isn’t going to come down and do a resort only stay.

Guess I could see them trying to entice locals to do a staycation at cheap rates??
Because people are already there / on their way and have nowhere else to go. And the numbers of people left in the resorts is going to be negligable.

John park hopper

When healthcare is free that’s what people do. I once had a patient sign into the ED, get triaged to the end of the line because it was a cold. Then go home, call EMS, come in via ambulance because they thought it would be faster. They still went to the back of the line.

It is incredibly frustrating.
Exactly these same people do it over and over again, they know they can't be turned away (government regulation)

celluloid

Considering that no one dies from the common cold and people do die from this virus I would say you're a little off base with that comment. The reality is the only way to stop the spread of the virus until it burns out is to close down any events that pull in lots of people... even more critical to stop people from gathering from far flung places into a single place. If you wanted to have everyone in Montana or Idaho have a group hug it wouldn't matter because they have no cases... but as soon as you get people from areas where the virus has been found rubbing elbows with other people you are going to spread it. At this point the US still isn't taking it seriously because they still haven't shut down the airports completely which is what they should do. No place is going to be better for transmitting this virus all over the country than the airports... but places like Disney are probably running a close second place for helping to spread it.

People do die from the common cold all of the time. It does suck that we have another virus but you could in fact compare it to the complications of the elderly or those with compromised immune systems getting very sick. If we can prevent it, of course we can try, but those less densely populated states have no known cases. An honest question, no condescending tone intentended, at what point do you consider the disease burned out? Do we close everything down once there are a few hundred cases? Do we give up liberties out of inherent risk? It is a slippery slope.

Lilofan

Could be some may just think about having a corona party in the hotel. When there is a hurricane approaching, some have hurricane parties.

ImperfectPixie

She should be sued by the AAP. The amount of man hours that I and many other healthcare providers have wasted on vaccine education because of her cannot be understated.

That being said Lost amid the Corona chaos is the most infectious disease known to man, the measles. By WHO estimates, in 2018 140,000 children died from the measles worldwide. (Mostly in Africa and third world countries). This is a disease that is 100 percent preventable with a time proven vaccine.

Thats all I am going to say about that as I don’t want to start an off topic war in this forum about the MMR vaccine.

Point is if we even get a vaccine.... will people even get it?? This will be one of the least tested vaccines in the history of man and we are going to mass manufacture and try administer to millions if not billions in 12-18 months. I am not sure people are gonna be willing to tolerate that when we have vaccines that have been studied for decades proven safe and administered to billions of people and people still won’t get vaccinated.
And I really think allowing non-medical exemptions is a HUGE mistake and that medical reasons should be the only allowed exemptions. I recently watched a Netfix docuseries (I think it was Pandemic?), and the number of mothers saying they know better than doctors was flat-out ASTOUNDING.
My wife worked ER for many years the things people came to the ER for made me shake my head in disbelief. Things any sane person would take care of themselves. I can only imagine what some people will be running to the ER for- wasting medical staff time and space.
Which boils down to fear, which really equals lack of education. (Honestly, all the "health" websites out there don't help matters, either. There needs to be a url ending that only real medical facilities are able to access similar to .edu for education and .gov for governments so it's easier to tell official websites from bull.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom