Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You can’t go to urgent care or a gp if you have symptoms of corona. They can’t test you and won’t even see you. what they need is more testing. Drive up testing. More labs, tests and lab workers.

I stand by everything I originally posted. If we can’t slow the spread down there will be a more serious crisis. That’s why we are seeing the extreme social distancing now.
You should absolutely go to secondary care if you have symptoms of corona.

"they won't even see you"?

Of course they will.

Let the healthcare system actually be a system, instead of demanding that every case is life or death simply because it is yours or impacts someone you care about.

I know it's a terribly difficult stance to take, but not every case is life threatening.

For all the people who demand that "professionals should decide", I get the feeling they also want to be first in line.

That isn't how it works.

ifan

You should absolutely go to secondary care if you have symptoms of corona.

"they won't even see you"?

Of course they will.

Let the healthcare system actually be a system, instead of demanding that every case is life or death simply because it is yours or impacts someone you care about.

I know it's a terribly difficult stance to take, but not every case is life threatening.

For all the people who demand that "professionals should decide", I get the feeling they also want to be first in line.

That isn't how it works.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense - but for some reason it isn't how the system is currently working. People are calling hotlines and they are being told to avoid their PCP. They are being filtered and, if necessary, told to go to an ED for testing.

A family member (physician) recently had a patient who was actually TURNED AWAY first at a local community hospital ED (illegal.)

It would make a lot more sense if this was treated like H1N1 and people went to their PCP for testing (the same swab for influenza can be used for this test.)

aperitif

No. No they do not.
I don't know who you are, but as a doctor who works in an emergency department, I question the advice that you are handing out.

I'm confused also by your earlier statement that people with symptoms should see (make an appointment with?) any GP even if it's not their own. I don't know where you live, but in my region, the wait time to see a GP as a new patient is 6 months to a year.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What you're saying makes a lot of sense - but for some reason it isn't how the system is currently working. People are calling hotlines and they are being told to avoid their PCP. They are being filtered and, if necessary, told to go to an ED for testing.

A family member (physician) recently had a patient who was actually TURNED AWAY first at a local community hospital ED (illegal.)

It would make a lot more sense if this was treated like H1N1 and people went to their PCP for testing (the same swab for influenza can be used for this test.)
I suspect most people aren't doing any of that.

I also suspect the ERs are overrun with people doing exactly that.

This is insane. Stop contributing to the insanity.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't know who you are, but as a doctor who works in an emergency department, I question the advice that you are handing out.

I'm confused also by your earlier statement that people with symptoms should see (make an appointment with?) any GP even if it's not their own. I don't know where you live, but in my region, the wait time to see a GP as a new patient is 6 months to a year.
Well, in your "region" perhaps people should act differently. In mine, I am down the street (within walking distance) of a 24 hour urgent care. And, I have used them.

As far as "wait times", that's where I call into doubt your statement. If you are a "doctor", wait times to see a GP is "6 months to a year", how would you even know those numbers? Or even care to know those numbers?

I smell nonsense.

Rimmit

Jenny McCarthy played a HUGE role in the resurgence of anti-vaxxers by contradicting science and claiming there's a link between autism and vaccines, and also by saying autism can be cured by a diet change.
She is my public enemy number one. She has caused me so much heartache and time regarding vaccine education.

The weather in Iran is warm and CV19 spread like wildfire there.

Just to preface, I do not believe the belief this virus will get better just because the weather warms up.

That being said, Iran is not exactly warm in the winter. The average high temp in Tehran, the main hotbed in Iran during the month of Feb was low 50s and the average low in the 30s, and sometimes hitting below freezing. Not exactly what most would call warm weather.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

The issue is largely that there isn't a conclusive test yet.

disneygeek90

Anyone else find it a bit strange the are no cases in Orange, Osceola, or Seminole? That area has the greatest number of visitors and especially foreign visitors.
Orlando Sentinel lists Seminole county with one positive.

Cantor

I suspect most people aren't doing any of that.

I also suspect the ERs are overrun with people doing exactly that.

This is insane. Stop contributing to the insanity.

The numbers I've seen suggest that 10-20% of cases of corona virus require hospitalization and that this hospitalization often lasts 2-6 weeks. So yeah, you're right that in 80% of cases where some has coronavirus the person shouldn't go to the ER and they probably don't even need to see a GP. But 10-20% of people do. This means that if a large number of people become infected quickly then there won't be enough hospital beds and ventilators for people that need them and the fatality rate will jump up quite a bit. Wuhan has a much higher fatality rate than everywhere else because it spread too quickly and overwhelmed their healthcare system. This lack of capacity was the reason China built two new hospitals in Wuhan over the course of just a couple days.

Earlier showed a graph showing the number of new daily infections have decreased dramatically in China. You do realize that this is because of the extreme measures China has taken, right? China has been literally welding people's apartment doors closed to prevent them from infecting others. In some regions people are only allowed to have one member of their family leave their apartment twice a week to purchase food.

If we want to avoid overwhelming our healthcare system we have to take action to prevent slow the spread of corona virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom