Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa12000

Lots of UK people worried that we may become a transit for people to try and get over to US - our PM is making an announcement tomorrow and wonder if its coordinated and we may restrict European flights as well? (would have to be eurotunnel and ferries for us as well though)

DisneyCane

Lots of UK people worried that we may become a transit for people to try and get over to US - our PM is making an announcement tomorrow and wonder if its coordinated and we may restrict European flights as well? (would have to be eurotunnel and ferries for us as well though)

I would think there had to be something like that brewing. It makes no sense to exempt the UK otherwise. Possibly only citizens of the UK would be allowed in but if the UK doesn't take the same action against the rest of Europe, the UK will end up with the same infection rates when people from other European counties seed new hot spots in the UK.

lisa12000

I would think there had to be something like that brewing. It makes no sense to exempt the UK otherwise. Possibly only citizens of the UK would be allowed in but if the UK doesn't take the same action against the rest of Europe, the UK will end up with the same infection rates when people from other European counties seed new hot spots in the UK.

Yes said on the UK board Trump and Johnson have very clearly had a conversation where Trump has laid down terms to enable travel to continue for now i.e. restriction of flights into the UK/ social distancing measures etc.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The NBA has announced it has suspended its current season.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.36.21 PM.png

Piebald

With the news of Hanks being positive, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of famous people test positive. Not because they're likelier to get it but because they have way better accessibility than us unwashed do. At the moment unless things change we have to jump through hoops to get tested.

Also, NBA just announced they're suspending the season. I wouldnt be shocked if Disney is feeling a literal ton of pressure to act soon.

DisneyCane

time for disney to do the right thing and close down the parks

The question (for infectious disease experts) is does WDW fall into the category of a large gathering? If it does, then I would think malls, destination shopping centers, mass transit and in some locations would as well.

While there is certainly a large crowd in each park, they are not really confined together. The confinement happens in the queue and to some extent on the ride. Is the number of people in the queues and the way they are spread considered a large gathering? Again, more of a question for infectious disease experts.

Basically, if the risk of transmission at the parks is similar to the risk of transmission in those other locations that I mentioned it would logically follow that if you close WDW parks, you must also close those other places.

I would assume that other than touching surfaces and not washing hands, I would think the queues have the highest risk of transmission. My suggestion would be to go completely to virtual queues done in a way that the guest will flow and not bottleneck. Any ride shut downs would require clearing the queue. The technology to modify the FP+ system to do this has to exist even if it takes a week or two to implement. Even re-use the boarding group software with some modifications to join throughout the day for normal rides.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The question (for infectious disease experts) is does WDW fall into the category of a large gathering? If it does, then I would think malls, destination shopping centers, mass transit and in some locations would as well.

While there is certainly a large crowd in each park, they are not really confined together. The confinement happens in the queue and to some extent on the ride. Is the number of people in the queues and the way they are spread considered a large gathering? Again, more of a question for infectious disease experts.

Basically, if the risk of transmission at the parks is similar to the risk of transmission in those other locations that I mentioned it would logically follow that if you close WDW parks, you must also close those other places.

I would assume that other than touching surfaces and not washing hands, I would think the queues have the highest risk of transmission. My suggestion would be to go completely to virtual queues done in a way that the guest will flow and not bottleneck. Any ride shut downs would require clearing the queue. The technology to modify the FP+ system to do this has to exist even if it takes a week or two to implement. Even re-use the boarding group software with some modifications to join throughout the day for normal rides.
I think the biggest risk of a place like WDW is people from all over come there and then go back home. If this thing breaks out in pockets of infection that’s a fast way to spread it around. Not saying local gatherings are safe either.

disney4life2008

View attachment 455673
[/QUOTE]

I think that is the gray area. If you think about a conference or a concert, people from all over are in a shared space or multiple shared spaces. Disney is no different, actually it's worse because of the Disney bubble everyone is contained. And a significant amount of external factors. One sneeze and Disney is done.

Unfortunately, it's the bottom line. In the case of bad weather or 911, these are easy calls. But unless something dire happens Disney will push as long as possible. My greater concern is how are resorts being cleaned? Bathrooms? Everything. Housekeeping at Disney has become questionable at best and the custodians, well I have seen my fair share of remains in almost every bathroom in the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom