Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliza61nyc

IMG_93981.jpg

Crunchie9

Not “celebrating” the flu by any means but let’s keep things in perspective:

Infections
COVID-19: Approximately 113,579 cases worldwide; 607 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 9, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 3,995 deaths reported worldwide; 22 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 9, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

291,000/1,000,000,000=0.000291
3995/113,597=0.0351681823

0.0351681823/0.000291=120.85286 times deadlier then the flu

JLipnick

we will be down in WDW next Friday for 8 days also and the main thing we are considering changing is our buffet meals. is anyone aware of anything Disney is doing to reduce the risk at buffets? We were thinking Disney could have staff putting food on plates rather than having guests do it themselves. If not, we will switch to only do those that are served family style.

LSLS

Ah yes, I only cough and sneeze when I get pneumonia too.

lmao, you literally are doing that then turning around and accusing me of it.

If you take *all* the data, how is that "one party" vs taking literally one countries data....

Honestly, you are both probably wrong. You are absolutely correct that we need to be careful about extrapolating from South Korea if what you said about the demographics are true (and I have no reason to not believe them). Likewise, others are correct in that your "All Data" numbers are pretty well accepted as inaccurate. It has been reported numerous times that many cases are not being reported due to lack of testing kits/price, mild symptoms, etc.

Now the thing is, last I read, the real worry right now is we don't know a ton about this yet. The flu does kill a lot more people than this right now. But we don't seem to have a handle on the ease of spread/incubation/what will happen in the summer/etc. that we do have on the flu. As you have pointed out, we don't know how far this is going to spread, or how fast. That's what we really should be worried about.

Piebald

The apprehension to test in the US is very concerning. My friends parents were on the cruise ship that finally docked in Oakland last night and as of their latest report they had not been tested and were waiting to hear which military base theyd be quarantined at

DisneyCane

The apprehension to test in the US is very concerning. My friends parents were on the cruise ship that finally docked in Oakland last night and as of their latest report they had not been tested and were waiting to hear which military base theyd be quarantined at
If they are going to be quarantined anyway, what's the difference how long it takes to test? It isn't like cancer where early detection makes a difference. If they get symptoms they'll be treated. The reason for testing in the general population is so that people who are positive will be isolated.

Until a specific treatment is available, it doesn't really matter if you are positive from a treatment perspective. Respiratory distress from the flu is treated the same as it is for COVID-19.

There isn't apprehension to test. There was a failure on the part of the CDC to have tests available in anywhere near the required quantity.

Lilofan

I heard from the media that the cruise passengers that are ill would be tested first, but the thousands of passengers to disembark the ship would take 2-3 days. Then another 14 days in isolation.

Nubs70

I heard from the media that the cruise passengers that are ill would be tested first, but the thousands of passengers to disembark the ship would take 2-3 days. Then another 14 days in isolation.
Will all passengers be quarantined to cover the false negative possibilities?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Nah, you can touch anything you want without washing your hands, just don’t touch your face after. Do you know how hard it is to not touch your face?
Easy for me, I have been not touching my face for nigh on 20 years. Hands carry bacteria, bacteria causes breakouts. So, no face touching for Dan.
My birthday is part of your username. Just rambling, myself.
Same! It was my old AOL name. I signed up here long long ago.

John park hopper

Actually even before they are out of isolation.

There is an old joke --why didn't the rattle snake bite the lawyer--professional courtesy-- should be changes to --Why didn't the coronavirus infect the lawyer --professional courtesy

Crunchie9

Probably trying to stop the hemorrhaging.
If DW closes for a month or two, that stock will drop under 100 bucks and maybe get as low as 85..... I would be hard-pressed not to play the short game (not losses, just short investment) compared to Long investment.

Only thing is, once I sold to pay for my next trip to DW, I would be watching the profits go back up, and climb near 185.

I just want to be rich.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Speaking of lawsuits....This happened in my town last night. Classy move by the proprietors of this 7-11. Hopefully they get arrested and charges are pressed. The kid is okay, but had a really rough night in the Hospital.

Raineman

It's too bad Body Wars is no longer around at Epcot-a new script involving the COVID-19 virus as the ride's climax would write itself right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom