Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeesh. I paid $3.20 for 93 yesterday. 87 would've been around 2.80-2.90 here is western PA. PA has pretty crap gas prices in general though.
Raise your tobacco tax, tax frakkers, and lower your gas tax

Why is my gas full service and cheaper? (Hint...just told you)

(I might be from your neck of the woods originally...as I have a bag over my head with “pens fan” written on it today)

Last edited:

matt9112

You're lucky, the cheapest gas here in OC is $3.29, but the stations all around Disneyland are closer to $4.00 for 87 octane. 91 octane (the highest octane available in California) is well above $4.00 a gallon today. The gas taxes in California are insane.

This oil price crash reminds me of 1985 when the oil prices crashed suddenly and dramatically, destroying the budget of the Soviet Union which began its weakening immediately and then downfall five years later. There's always silver linings when the price of oil crashes like this, most oil exporting nations are rather crummy and corrupt, and I can't wait to watch this play out!

And that's also why the bounce back from this by summer is going to be fast and very robust, I truly believe. The fundamentals are so sound and the price of living is declining with the oil price, so tourism and travel will bounce back quickly, especially in the USA. Which also reminds me of the mid 1980's when there was a couple of high profile airplane bombings that had Americans cancelling their European vacations in droves. They stayed home and did See America First! vacations instead. Another silver lining for the good old USA.

It's surprising how much optimism you can find in all this panic, if you know where to look. :)

My lists of reasons never to live in California grows ever so more. Really is a great experiment on how far can you SLLLLLOOOOOWWWLLLY push people that they just say yeah thats good i guess. Both of my cars are tuned on 93 the gti could probably and not knock the other meh less likely. But i guess if i stay out of California my chances of getting cancer stay lower. ;) its a joke...

Edit i guess you cant say RE...TA....RD in the scientific manner.

Lirael

It’s all tied back to the Chinese and their crumpling manufacturing. That had been going on for years.

This isn’t really about a virus
I thought the oil price surge was due to Saudi Arabia deciding it was prime time to try and destabilize Russia by price dropping?

JohnD

Several weeks ago, the calculation was $10k more than the cost to buy back in, now it's $2k under. Not too bad but RnRC crazy. My rate of return is -8.85% and -$12,818.16.

Here's a visual with percentages only.

InvestmentPlanRoR.png

KBLovedDisney

My state has it now. Fun.

I'm guessing by the end of it, this virus is just going to be everywhere, possibly Disney World included.😩

Gringrinngghost

6PM Eastern: It looks the President will speak about COVID-19. It was going to be Pence and the COVID-19 task force, however they have replaced the Vice Presidential seal with the Presidential seal.

A Noble Fish

Again, let's stop acting like it's nothing and also stop panicking. Both stances are irrational, ideologically-driven, with no basis in reality.

Estimates based on facts and evidence DO MATTER. Otherwise, you couldn't predict anything, from battles in war, to creating yearly flu vaccines, to running a company, to making scientific theories like Relativity, to running the federal reserve, or anything else really.

All evidence points that this spreads 3x as easily as influenza. Evidence has allowed us to map its genome in labs. Evidence has allowed us to use statistics to bring a clearer picture on the effects of the virus. Evidence shows us which government responses are effective. All evidence points to overcrowded hospitals that cannot support a heavily ill population if there are major outbreaks in areas--the United States is large, so you have to treat it in specific areas rather than blanket the country. All evidence says that seniors, compromised immune systems (HIV, asthma, Lupus), chronic illnesses (Diabetes, Heart Disease), and addicts (smokers, hard drug abusers) should be highly concerned and that the rest of us have a responsibility to help them not get it. The evidence says that it can be spread for a while without symptoms. All evidence points to this not being the plague. There is some evidence that points to it not slowing down much over the summer. The evidence indicates that there is nothing stopping it naturally from reaching or even surpassing yearly flu heights...
There is no point to compare COVID-19 with car accident levels, gun violence, flu deaths, and more. Those should be addressed separately, and hopefully, they will, but COVID-19 is something we can slow down from entering those ranks right now. That's the difference.
Fact-based models that 100's of thousands to over a million could die yearly in the US alone if it stays without containment that slows it down; there is no equal evidence that we have that denies this. In Science, or anything really, you cite other evidence or counterpoints to come to the logically best solution, and there is none that claims it will cap at a certain level due to its fast and easy spread. Simply hoping or feeling is ignorant when you have evidence that indicates that it should be treated seriously with a level head. That's not being a good member of society, and that's not good leadership. Evidence indicates that COVID-19 is a coronavirus, not the pretend 'coronaflu,' or an influenza virus (the flu). All evidence says that we should treat this seriously without panic and let governments do their jobs.

We are able to slow it down, or if we take strong measures against it like China, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Japan, virtually slow new spread to a halt. This will be determined primarily in the US by government and CDC leadership. Businesses and citizens will also need to play a role to slow down its spread: properly washing hands for 20+ seconds, not going to entertainment facilities like concerts and theaters, etc.

Countries don't go to these measures if it isn't in their national security interest.

We don't know when Disney World closes. Arguably when there are cases on property is the time when execs will make the call, or there is a large outbreak in Orlando. They have every right to keep it open for as long as possible, and they should since the impact of the swamps spreading it is negligible judging by all current metrics. The United States is obviously underreporting cases due to not having enough test kits (and that some people don't show symptoms), but TDO will do it when they are a threat to public health, and we're potentially still weeks away from that, and there's no reason that you should cancel trips for this month yet since the chance is currently so low with there not being a major outbreak in the region (guests from around the country are also unlikely to spread the virus). This last paragraph is what you call speculation since we don't have enough evidence or an inside scoop. The rest of this post is fact-based and asks you to stop acting like its all opinions. As some might say, "Snowflake, does it hurt your opinion that there are facts and logically conclusive bits on this?" Please, just everyone stop with the "It's n-o-t-h-i-n-g" and "OMG WE GONNA DIE!!!!" While you're at it, click my signature to make sure you're not receiving biased news on COVID-19, and personally cross-check evidence to get an even clearer picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom