Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa12000

At some point the cost of economic and social unrest will outweigh the benefit of containing entire societies.

You already have 6 people killed in Italy due to rioting over the corona virus.
People are losing jobs and money, all their forms of entertainment and escape (travel, movies (James Bond postponed), sports, concerts) certain industries will fall and die.
Couping people up in what amounts to solitary confinement. All that will lead to more suicides, deaths and social unreset.

Yep that’s what I’ve been trying to say on the uk boards. There are many people within our societies that will not cope with social isolation. That’s not them being selfish that is where they are right now - I know I would massively struggle as I get anxious now when I’m cooped up for a while. The question is also how long do you do it for? There’s already questions about whether a second wave will occur in China as soon as isolation is removed - I just feel it’s a fine balance between deaths due to the virus and deaths due to the restrictions you put in place - which one will be more harmful

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Yep that’s what I’ve been trying to say on the uk boards. There are many people within our societies that will not cope with social isolation. That’s not them being selfish that is where they are right now - I know I would massively struggle as I get anxious now when I’m cooped up for a while. The question is also how long do you do it for? There’s already questions about whether a second wave will occur in China as soon as isolation is removed - I just feel it’s a fine balance between deaths due to the virus and deaths due to the restrictions you put in place - which one will be more harmful
But "cooped up" in self-quarantine is not like you've been put in solitary confinement. There's plenty of ways to keep your mind occupied while you wait out the virus... this board being just one example.

DisneyCane

I don't have normalcy bias. I have bias against insane over reactions. While this outbreak is somewhat worse than the flu, data shows that to only be the case to a significant degree in older people, people with underlying medical conditions and, especially, older people with underlying conditions.

Therefore, it would maybe make some sense to try and isolate the people that are most vulnerable from people that may be infected. What does not make sense is to shut down half the world and panic people like it is Armageddon.

People say that these extreme actions are necessary to save lives. The same actions would save hundreds of thousands of lives a year if we did them in response to the flu. Why is the world allowed to operate normally and let 300,000 people die but it must shut down so that (taking some worst case estimates) 3,000,000 people don't die. In the grand scheme that is still only 0.04% of the population.

I know this is going to come off like me being a cold hearted jerk but, based on the category of people most likely to be killed by COVID-19, they would likely die of some other disease or cause in the next couple of years anyway. Destroying the world economy is going to lead to young people dying of starvation in developing nations and quite possibly lead to more deaths than would occur if this virus was just allowed to run rampant.

If this virus was killing children or even healthy, non-elderly adults in large numbers, then I would support drastic actions. We need to use some common sense. Test people suspected of being infected and isolate them. Beg people that are sick with any illness to be courteous and cough/sneeze into their elbow just to be safe. Use good sanitation and hygiene practices in general.

lisa12000

But "cooped up" in self-quarantine is not like you've been put in solitary confinement. There's plenty of ways to keep your mind occupied while you wait out the virus... this board being just one example.

there’s a difference between self isolation for two week and enforced isolation with no set end date which is what some people are talking about - I’m fine with two weeks if it keeps me away from people I may infect but tell me I can’t go anywhere for an indefinite period of time then I know I would probably panic

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
there’s a difference between self isolation for two week and enforced isolation with no set end date which is what some people are talking about - I’m fine with two weeks if it keeps me away from people I may infect but tell me I can’t go anywhere for an indefinite period of time then I know I would probably panic
I recommend three weeks. But only if everyone else is doing it.

Every time an infected person contacts an uninfected person, the clock starts over.

Notes from Neverland

Americans not following quarantine recommendations will likely be why this will blow up in the U.S. more so than in other countries. Here, where we're from, a family decided to attend a father-daughter dance even though they were told to stay under self quarantine when an immediate family member in the same household tested positive. That lack of caring is detrimental to controlling any kind of spread.

Timmay

There is a reason solitary confinement is considered one of the most severe forms of punishment.
C2DA42C7-648F-4E43-8BEF-F0949B2325A9.jpeg

ELG13

Americans not following quarantine recommendations will likely be why this will blow up in the U.S. more so than in other countries. Here, where we're from, a family decided to attend a father-daughter dance even though they were told to stay under self quarantine when an immediate family member in the same household tested positive. That lack of caring is detrimental to controlling any kind of spread.
But "solitary confinement" is hard. 😁
I agree 100% with you. Until people give up what THEY want for the considerations of others, we are doomed. But...'Merica!

lisa12000

I recommend three weeks. But only if everyone else is doing it.

Every time an infected person contacts an uninfected person, the clock starts over.

well yes whether two or three weeks is not the point it’s the levels of restrictions you put in place- do you do health status tags such as in China? Do we not think that this will lead to discrimination and attacks in individuals? Do we grab people intovans And throw them home? Fine and imprison those who don’t comply? It’s such a terrible decision to have to make

btw it’s not working in Italy atm - people are still coming and going, checks aren’t in place, people are having to keep distances jn shops but then are queuing to get in outside- are still going to the beach; I just feel draconian measures just don’t work In most countries unfortunately

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
But "solitary confinement" is hard. 😁
I agree 100% with you. Until people give up what THEY want for the considerations of others, we are doomed. But...'Merica!

Why put others first if they’re going to die anyway? This’ll pass before you know it.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I may get hammered for this... but this is basically another strain of flu. Why we think this is Armageddon i'm not sure but we don't close the parks or self quarantine when it's flu season.

we and the media can say the coronavirus is more deadly all we/they want.. but I don't think we know that is the case for sure. Plenty probably have this virus and don't even know it yet and they'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom