Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicWDI

Why is there a toilet paper shortage I thought this was a respiratory virus and not dysentery.
I was wondering this myself, and the only logical answer I can think of is if people are told to quarantine themselves at home. Not sure why some people bare buying like a year's worth.

If it's not that then I guess diarrhea....

lentesta

Premium Member
Thanks @lentesta , you and your team are unbelievable. I really appreciate your work. But if cancels are up, I'm just not sure how your algorithm inceased the predicted crowds. Are you thinking that the discounted flights along with people changing their plans from foreign to domestic are the factors that others suggested? I'm sorry to sound like I'm grilling you. Im just fascinated. And also trying to decide if I should cancel my trip next week.
Thanks and again, your work amazes me.

I'm still going to the parks almost daily. As I tell my wife, my diet and my driving are more immediate threats to my health and well-being.

MrHappy

I'm still going to the parks almost daily. As I tell my wife, my diet and my driving are more immediate threats to my health and well-being.
Thank you for clearing that up. That makes sense now. Looking at the past week on your actual vs predicted, most of the time the actuals are lower. That probably is a more accurate indicator of the weeks to come, right?
Im also glad to hear your visiting daily with no issues. Just eat some salads ;)

Lilofan

I was wondering this myself, and the only logical answer I can think of is if people are told to quarantine themselves at home. Not sure why some people bare buying like a year's worth.

There are other posts where diarrhea is one of the symptoms.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
When people get scared...they rush the stores and buy TP...

It’s some bizarre comfort mechanism...can’t explain it.
B105C803-5247-4CA7-AD86-BC192C64DE46.gif

lentesta

Premium Member
Thank you for clearing that up. That makes sense now. Looking at the past week on your actual vs predicted, most of the time the actuals are lower. That probably is a more accurate indicator of the weeks to come, right?
Im also glad to hear your visiting daily with no issues. Just eat some salads ;)

Yes, check the actuals.

IanDLBZF

Could be Rotavirus. My mom had it back in 2009 one day after we went to Epcot, and had dinner at O'Hana.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We're trying to figure out the upcoming impact. There's not a recent precedent for this, obviously.

For what it's worth, we're hearing cancellation rates for upcoming trips were around 10% last week, much higher than usual. Lots of people pushed trips to late 2020 or into 2021. Still, new bookings could be down as much as 20%. Both of those numbers got larger as the week went on.

Our year-over-year sales for the past week are down about 18%, which is right in the middle of those numbers. (Before last week we were +7% YTD, so potentially a -25% swing). That includes refunds to people who cancelled trips. Since our users are almost certainly planning a trip, I think that's a decent proxy too.

Excellent insight. Actual data and perspective to give us an idea of what’s up.

Thank you. The next month is gonna be fascinating on a new level

Last edited:

Overlordkitty

There are shortages of all sorts of things because people are going crazy. This is also not like a storm or other type of regional problem because it is all of the USA along with every other country. I don't think anyone needs to stock up on basics because Amazon will deliver them if you need to self quarantine and with doordash, grubhub and Uber Eats there are tons of options for eating. People just need to calm down and live. Don't worry but take proper precautions.
So people are going to self-quarentine, and then interact with people in the gig economy that have no choice but to keep working because they have no health insurance?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unfortunately, I feel like it's only a matter of time before it gets to the heart of Disney. All the major conferences are canceled in Orlando and the next industry would be Disney.
Big spike in US “exposure” coming...hope that doesn’t mean fatalities as well:

I think we’ll see the effects of this at Disney parks in the coming months...cancellations, delays, losses...and if it blows over - a rush.

Provided the economics work. Big IF

Calmdownnow

Italy has just placed a whole section of the country into quarantine. 16 million people in the regions hit by the virus are not being allowed to leave for fear of spreading infection to the other 50 million living in that country. Democratic governments do not do this unless they have good reason and science behind their decision-making. Their tourism industry has been totally burnt by the spread of this infection and tourist travel to northern Italy over the recent ski season has been a major factor in the wide spread of the virus to other European countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom