Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillip9698

There are going to be the 2 cycles that make this particularly bad for the US:

1. Person gets sick, infection is discovered
2. Self-quarantine is issued
3. Self-quarantine is violated, either due to the need to work to cover medical expenses or due to the person not wanting to inconvenience themselves (we've already seen this with a patient in New Hampshire)
4. Infection spreads, rinse-and-repeat

1. Person gets sick, does not see doctor either due to high costs or lack of PTO (or even any time off at all)
2. Person goes about their life as usual
3. Infection spreads, rinse-and-repeat

We're also not equipped to really handle measures that other countries have taken. If public transit gets shutdown, there would be massive issues. If schools shutdown, people may not be able to skip work to care for their children and/or can't afford childcare even if they do go to work.

Couple that with the distrust in information being provided by actual health officials and we're woefully unequipped to handle something like this. I get that many people will not be affected severely by it, but you can still aid in the spread of it to those who will be. Taking the 2% mortality rate at face value, that's 6 million+ Americans potentially dead from this if we see it become widespread. I'm not saying we should panic, but at the same time we should also not treat this as "oh, it's nothing" or "oh, it won't affect me" instead of viewing the impact this could have on our communities as a whole.

This is my take on it as well. You have a society that expects the market to handle everything combined with a check to check lifestyle and its a recipe for disaster. You expect someone who cant afford to miss a months check to self quarantine and miss 2 weeks of pay? You think most businesses are going to pay their associates for 2 weeks without eating up all their PTO? Lets say the adults dont get sick but schools are shut down, who is going to stay home and watch the kids?

Im praying this thing doesnt spread because if it does the US is not equipped to handle it. It would throw this country into a recession.

Josh Hendy

I just listened to a surgeon talking about this on CNN(?)...he said 12-18 months.
Likewise, I've heard estimates more like 1 1/2 years to produce a vaccine with no guarantee they will succeed. That will take the world all the way into the next flu season.

And about this "take the same precautions as you would for the flu" meme ... that's quite true but it doesn't mean it's only as dangerous as the flu (or less dangerous).

The official Chinese news agency made veiled threats to cut off the USA from pharmaceuticals, masks, etc. if they don't show sufficient gratitude for everything China is doing ... that will make even taking normal flu precautions difficult ...

fngoofy

Tell me what indisputable facts you are talking about... if you bring up the mortality rate, then you will be just as guilty as the people you claim are cherry-picking the numbers. The mortality rate is based on those contracting the disease vs those that have lost their lives from the disease. The fact is, nobody really knows the mortality rate since the number of those that have contracted the disease can not be determined. So, yes the numerical facts are disputable. Also, what these news outlets are not telling you is that it is estimated that more then 50% of the 95k confirmed cases have already gotten over the virus. Why can't we report that and make people feel a bit less stressed about the disease?

The real fact is that social media is what is causing the dissemination of inaccurate information resulting in a scare or panic that does not need to happen. My company just had a call with a doctor working with the CDC and their position is still to treat this as you would a flu virus. Be smart about cleanliness, drink lots of water and stay home when you are sick, go to the hospital if you are really sick. A vaccine will be available between 6 months and a year.

I recommend everyone listen only to the CDC and other worldwide medical outlets for more factual information and not make judgments based on biased news outlets.

A vaccine will not be ready in 6-12 months.

Experts say 12-18 months would be unprecedentedly fast.

This is more deadly than the flu, flu has a mortality of 0.1%. This is at least 2.3, but WHO's most recent numbers have it at 3.4%.

Tom P.

A vaccine will not be ready in 6-12 months.

Experts say 12-18 months would be unprecedentedly fast.

This is more deadly than the flu, flu has a mortality of 0.1%. This is at least 2.3, but WHO's most recent numbers have it at 3.4%.
Please see earlier posts in this thread. We do not know that the mortality rate is higher than the flu, because we don't know how many people have been infected. Testing is only now being ramped up and still is rather minimal. It is quite likely there are many, many more people who have contracted the virus and just thought they had a cold who are not being counted in the numbers. We need time for more data to be available before reaching conclusions.

VaderTron

Well travel insurance covers some things, airfare.... I always ala carte things, so my tickets can be repurposed value wise....ADR's can be cancelled, think 24 hour on resorts …..but think its different when you purchase a package? RIght now I have tickets for DLR which still have no date assigned, but do expire in one years time, but never truly expire, I can use price paid to pay for future tickets with increases applied.:happy:

I'm pretty sure they changed resort room cancellations to 5 days or more prior if you want a full refund.

Incomudro

Tell me what indisputable facts you are talking about... if you bring up the mortality rate, then you will be just as guilty as the people you claim are cherry-picking the numbers. The mortality rate is based on those contracting the disease vs those that have lost their lives from the disease. The fact is, nobody really knows the mortality rate since the number of those that have contracted the disease can not be determined. So, yes the numerical facts are disputable. Also, what these news outlets are not telling you is that it is estimated that more then 50% of the 95k confirmed cases have already gotten over the virus. Why can't we report that and make people feel a bit less stressed about the disease?

The real fact is that social media is what is causing the dissemination of inaccurate information resulting in a scare or panic that does not need to happen. My company just had a call with a doctor working with the CDC and their position is still to treat this as you would a flu virus. Be smart about cleanliness, drink lots of water and stay home when you are sick, go to the hospital if you are really sick. A vaccine will be available between 6 months and a year.

I recommend everyone listen only to the CDC and other worldwide medical outlets for more factual information and not make judgments based on biased news outlets.

Nor make judgements based on the panicky actions of groups or organizations canceling things.

Lilofan

Knew some people that work on International Drive in Orlando where the convention center, hotels and many dining options are located. This is their lifeblood. Our President is coming March 9 to a health conference at the convention center.
The major health conference has been cancelled and Trump also cancelled too. 40K attendees were expected to attend.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Starbucks issued new policy due to coronavirus that customers who bring their own mug inside the store to purchase a beverage will no longer be allowed to do so.

MagicWDI

Please see earlier posts in this thread. We do not know that the mortality rate is higher than the flu, because we don't know how many people have been infected. Testing is only now being ramped up and still is rather minimal. It is quite likely there are many, many more people who have contracted the virus and just thought they had a cold who are not being counted in the numbers. We need time for more data to be available before reaching conclusions.
Is this the same method use to determine the flu mortality rate?

Incomudro

Or, you know, major corporations.

Well, yes - because it's all meaningless - but adds to hysteria.
Oh my God, this cancelled! That cancelled! This must be serious!
Unless cancellations were ordered by the CDC, these are just the decisions of the frightened.

Reactions: Ayn

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Well, yes - because it's all meaningless - but adds to hysteria.
Oh my God, this cancelled! That cancelled! This must be serious!
Unless cancellations were ordered by the CDC, these are just the decisions of the frightened.

I couldn't care less about my own health, I just don't want to get anyone else sick. If that makes me a frightened and hysterical human, bring it on. On second thought, I'm sure you'll now tell me to stay home for the rest of my life. So, scratch that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Sorry...not Indisputable facts in this scenario...the “unknown” are the facts here and causing the panic.

I was more referring to science, politics, religion...the real show of stupidity these days.

horaceluke

Hi all, this might have already been asked, but if wdw was closed would Disney allow date specific tickets to be redeemed on another date or would they be refunded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom