Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

If attendance is down. Which it will be. If onsite spending is down. Which it will be. If hotel occupancy is down. Which it will be. Do the years and years of price increases and ancillary fees start to catch up to Disney? Going to be interesting to see if they start offering heavy discounts along with the suspension of certain things like parking fees and possibly reduce park hours and/or the amount of hard ticket events.
If you are right and Orlando's tourism takes a dive. Universal will also have major cuts. Disney has over 400,000 DVC members that have to visit or at least pay for their rooms every year. Disney was smart to have this base level of guests something Universal has none of.

deeevo

If attendance is down. Which it will be. If onsite spending is down. Which it will be. If hotel occupancy is down. Which it will be. Do the years and years of price increases and ancillary fees start to catch up to Disney? Going to be interesting to see if they start offering heavy discounts along with the suspension of certain things like parking fees and possibly reduce park hours and/or the amount of hard ticket events.
I was thinking the same thing this morning. I will be looking at those wait times just to see if this panic will have any effect on them. Based on the past 4 months of traffic in the parks it should be pretty telling if they suddenly drop off.

Josh Hendy

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I will be looking at those wait times just to see if this panic will have any effect on them. Based on the past 4 months of traffic in the parks it should be pretty telling if they suddenly drop off.
For sure ... but if wait times are flat or they increase, it could be because Disney has reduced staffing levels not because of people cancelling trips.

Quinnmac000

This is just plain wrong and misinformation like this is simply fear mongering.

Chinese CDC study (published in JAMA and featured 72,000 cases) notes that 81% of cases were mild, while 14% were severe (noted as having difficulty breathing). 5% were critical.

So i was one percent off...so I was plain wrong....

My statement said ~20% serious/critical. Your article showed 19% severe/critical. Shows I was really fearmongering.

ToTBellHop

Cupcake parties will get guests to return. Nothing else will be necessary.

I'd pay $249 for the Hollywood Tower Hotel Lobby Tea Party.

Buried20KLeague

I'm going to be there for two weeks in late May/Early June. I'm crossing my fingers everyone stays home and Disney goes on a fire sale.

And you can bet your Pooh that if the parks are open, we'll be there.

Higginbotham587

The death rate is estimated at up to 3%. The virus is extremely contagious, for example it seems that it can be spread by people who have no symptoms. Very little testing is being done and many attempts to quarantine people who have been exposed were totally botched. In China obviously, also Korea, Italy, Japan and the USA.

No vaccine exists yet so unless it starts to die out naturally with the end of winter, it will spread everywhere and to give a for instance, 3% of the US population means that almost 10 million people might die from it.

Until the situation looks significantly better, such as a vaccine is available or the infection rate approaches zero, I think it would be unwise to expose yourself in places like airplanes, hotels, cruise ships, crowded theme parks, etc.

Even if you're healthy and fit and at little risk of dying, this sounds like a really nasty Illness that you just don't want to have.

This is total and complete fear mongering and it is frankly irresponsible.

First, the WHO has just said the virus is of very low risk to children, for whatever reason people under 19 have had few cases. Second, it is only of high risk to the elderly and those with preexisting conditions. Third, the crude fatality rate (which is what you are calling the "death rate") is not the mortality rate of the virus, because there are likely thousands if not hundreds of thousands of undetected cases where cold symptoms are experienced and the patient recovers. Fourth, I have yet to see any study where the comorbidity with smoking is examined. Virtually everyone in China smokes, which may also be why the CFR is higher in men (more smokers), and higher in China and Italy than, ultimately, the UK, Iran, or the US. There are responsible medical scientists suggesting that possible link to worse outcomes.

Read the WHO report just out on China containment. Or just read. But scaring people on this website with tales of 10 million dead is the height of irresponsible online activity, in my view.

Read more. Know more. Or speak less.

TKTC

So i was one percent off...so I was plain wrong....

My statement said ~20% serious/critical. Your article showed 19% severe/critical. Shows I was really fearmongering.

Correct. You implied serious/critical as one group. That is incorrect. I had a severe case of bronchitis. Difficulty breathing. It wasn't critical, I missed two days of work while watching Disney+. I wasn't in the ICU, like someone with a critical case of pneumonia.

raymusiccity

They'll drop off as soon as Spring Breaks are over 🙂

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
My 60 FP+ window opens tomorrow and while I'll take the necessary precautions, my only worry would be if WDW decided to close up shop for a period of time. We cruised on Disney in '05 and it was a high risk year for norovirus (or something really contagious). There were a few ships out of service for deep cleaning (I believe either the Wonder or Magic were out too), and we didn't cancel our trip. Everyone on board was vigilant when it came to touching things, and there were hand sanitizing stations everywhere. You just need to be proactive when it comes to your hands, mouths, eyes, nose and face, meaning wash your hands often, and don't touch anything on your face with unwashed hands. These are things we should all do everyday, whether there's a virus on the loose or not.

disneyflush

This is total and complete fear mongering and it is frankly irresponsible.

First, the WHO has just said the virus is of very low risk to children, for whatever reason people under 19 have had few cases. Second, it is only of high risk to the elderly and those with preexisting conditions. Third, the crude fatality rate (which is what you are calling the "death rate") is not the mortality rate of the virus, because there are likely thousands if not hundreds of thousands of undetected cases where cold symptoms are experienced and the patient recovers. Fourth, I have yet to see any study where the comorbidity with smoking is examined. Virtually everyone in China smokes, which may also be why the CFR is higher in men (more smokers), and higher in China and Italy than, ultimately, the UK, Iran, or the US. There are responsible medical scientists suggesting that possible link to worse outcomes.

Read the WHO report just out on China containment. Or just read. But scaring people on this website with tales of 10 million dead is the height of irresponsible online activity, in my view.

Read more. Know more. Or speak less.

No one is coming to WDWMagic.com's forums for their pandemic news and health updates. Thinking this scared anyone is, frankly, ridiculous and your overreaction is, frankly, irresponsible.

Minthorne

Folks, it is clear that this virus actually started in the MK in the

1582914831485.png

Buried20KLeague

Thank you for the guesswork and sweeping statements 👍 Most informative, and very reassuring

He's not wrong. China accounts for 30% of smokers globally and 40% of all tobacco use globally. It's completely logical to wonder how that fact (and it IS a fact) factors in to recovery of a new respiratory illness.

His hypothesis is far more grounded in reality than a lot of the junk posted in this thread.

Higginbotham587

No one is coming to WDWMagic.com's forums for their pandemic news and health updates. Thinking this scared anyone is, frankly, ridiculous and your overreaction is, frankly, irresponsible.

I don’t presume to know where people get their information from or to whom they repeat things they read on whatever website they visit. However, I will bother to call out totally misinformed talk when I see it here because that might stop people from repeating it

And everything I said is backed up by basic virology and epidemiology, not to mention the WHO and CDC.

With all that said, sensible precautions are in order particularly for at risk groups like the elderly. The WHO report on China containment is quite interesting and is at who.int. A good resource site is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom