Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

You just don't quit do you. Vaccines help. Period. Fauci is older, more susceptible because he is older. Not one single person I know does mitigation 24/7. I am very sure Fauci took a calculated risk and likely failed.

This anti-mask, anti-vax rhetoric is beyond old and I'm tired of it. I will repeatedly give thanks for the vaccines keeping us safe. Whether you want to pretend I am super human, that's on you, but I give a ton of a thanks to the trial for getting these vaccines in me and so many others. Especially since my child spent the night with my spouse in a hotel to avoid 100 degree temps at night, I give a ton of thanks for giving him extra protection knowing how much more transmissible omicron is.

There is irony of an anti vaxxer who has been vaccinated. Strange world we live in.

I don't get it - I really don't.... it makes no sense why people are this way and it is highly frustrating to me.

I didn't say anything about vaccines at all. They seem to help minimize disease severity.

Fauci has constantly recommended masking, double double masking and avoiding crowds yet it appears he didn't follow his own advice. That makes him a hypocrite.

If I get COVID I'll get posts that my chickens came home to roost because my attitude has always been not to really care. Somehow, criticizing Fauci for hypocrisy is not allowed because he told people what they should do to "be safe" and he "takes COVID seriously."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I didn't say anything about vaccines at all. They seem to help minimize disease severity.

Fauci has constantly recommended masking, double double masking and avoiding crowds yet it appears he didn't follow his own advice. That makes him a hypocrite.

If I get COVID I'll get posts that my chickens came home to roost because my attitude has always been not to really care. Somehow, criticizing Fauci for hypocrisy is not allowed because he told people what they should do to "be safe" and he "takes COVID seriously."

If we were still in a time when masks were being used a public health measure, then yes I could make the argument that he was being hypocritical, but that's not where we are now. Since there are no more mandates, masks are now about personal protection and that is a choice each person needs to make.

Ayla

Btw I hadn't seen much - maybe missed while out and about, but is your family okay?
Thanks for asking. We have mostly recovered from covid (I have a nagging, wheezy cough I can't get rid of, though).

My mother has been diagnosed with terminal Stage 4 breast cancer and has been in the hospital since May 14th. She is on palliative care and will either die shortly at Mayo or be released to Hospice Care if we can find a bed for her.

So, yeah... I am so thankful I was able to take her to WDW one last time before our lives exploded a week later.

correcaminos

Thanks for asking. We have mostly recovered from covid (I have a nagging, wheezy cough I can't get rid of, though).

My mother has been diagnosed with terminal Stage 4 breast cancer and has been in the hospital since May 14th. She is on palliative care and will either die shortly at Mayo or be released to Hospice Care if we can find a bed for her.

So, yeah... I am so thankful I was able to take her to WDW one last time before our lives exploded a week later.
Boo on the wheezy cough. I wish I could be hopeful for you with that, but I won't pretend it is an easy one to deal with.

I am so deeply sorry for your mom though. I lost my own mom to cancer almost 30 years ago - so I feel for you completely. Best wishes to you all and I am glad there is a small blessing in the trip that you did take to WDW. May those memories live with you forever. My heart really goes out to you right now.

correcaminos

This is a couple months old now but even after 9 months vaccines aren't nothing. Probably why I get so upset when people discount vaccines as helping. I am not sure how my body would know to fight this off right without vaccines but I've dodged bullets now for over 2 years.

In 3 weeks I have my final - very final - Pfizer/BioNTech appointment. 2 years ago I signed up to help. I was enrolled almost 2 years to the day from my final appointment. That's crazy to think about.

Vegas Disney Fan

That kind of study sounds like what you would expect for a vaccine or a new drug. But for masking, there are too many factors that researchers could not fully control that make such a precise figure impossible to collect accurately, such as:

1) What type of masks people wear

2) Whether they wear their mask correctly and whether they report on their own mask use accurately. Clinical trial investigators can't follow around subjects all the time to make sure, so they'd likely have to rely on self-reported use.

3) What activities they do and whether they're exposed to COVID while doing them. In real-world conditions, that would be impossible to know. Or maybe they're never exposed at all, which wouldn't prove whether a mask worked or not, same reason why vaccine trials largely avoided participants that worked at home and didn't go anywhere back in 2020.

4) People will behave differently when they're masked vs. unmasked in ways that could affect their exposure. Drug and vaccine trials get around this with placebos, but obviously there's no mask version of a placebo.

5) Are they exposed to COVID in situations where they, understandably, removed their mask, like dining out? If a person who reported wearing their mask correctly caught COVID in that situation, it may incorrectly look like the mask didn't work.

6) All of these same factors would apply to people in the same household, who could then spread COVID to a person in the trial at home when they're not wearing masks.

7) Prior immunity, whether through infection or vaccination, would now affect whether an exposed person gets infected.

Another key point: masks had enough evidence from experimental studies and studies in health care spaces to show that they do reduce spread. Because they are also a harmless intervention that could be rapidly adopted by nearly everyone, the benefit needed to justify the risk is basically anything more than zero. So it made sense to use them even without being able to say it's "X% effective," as long as there was a threat of overwhelming hospitals.

That’s unfortunate because if they can’t prove how effective they are I don’t expect compliance to be any better if they ever come back, which largely defeats the purpose if a large percent aren’t using them.

Hopefully we’ve ramped up our domestic ability to mass produce n95s so they will be readily available to everyone if we ever need masks again, at least those are proven to substantially cut the risk to the people wearing them if mask compliance is low again.

OrlandoRising

Studies can be done that observe masking participation and then compare different areas with different levels. As far as I know there was only that one large scale study even attempted and it showed very little efficacy for cloth masks and somewhat higher efficacy for surgical masks (but still not very high). They didn't attempt to include N95 (or equivalent) in the study

You can't simply observe masking participation and compare different areas with different levels of masking. That wouldn't control for important factors like the ones I listed before.

I think you're talking about the big Bangladesh mask study. The 11% reduction in infections was not a measure of mask efficacy and shouldn't be framed that way. The study actually described the results like this: "Those living in villages randomly assigned to a series of interventions promoting the use of surgical masks were about 11% less likely than those living in control villages to develop COVID-19."

It may seem like a subtle difference, but the study was not testing masks vs. no masks, but rather villages "randomly assigned to a series of interventions promoting the use of surgical masks" -- such as providing free masks -- and villages where no new interventions were implemented. People in the intervention village were not uniformly masked -- in fact, fewer of 50% of people in the intervention villages wore masks in public places -- and people in the control villages could still be masked.

"Providing free masks, informing people about the importance of covering both the mouth and nose, reminding people in-person when they were unmasked in public, and role-modeling by community leaders tripled regular mask usage compared with control villages that received no interventions, the researchers found."

Because the study showed that villages with higher use of surgical masks saw fewer COVID-19 cases -- and the cloth mask villages had a reduced likelihood of symptomatic respiratory illness of any kind -- it adds to the evidence that masks are effective in reducing spread, but it can't tell you to what degree.

Source: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html

TrainsOfDisney

Yesterday I saw quite a few masks at the grocery store - this was in the south in a pretty conservative small town. I was actually surprised how many I saw.

Communicora

Premium Member

I am sending prayers for you, your mom and your whole family. I'm glad you got to have that last trip together. ❤️

Disstevefan1

Let’s argue about masks for at least a few more pages, shall we?
It helps grow the page count.
I’ll go.
Folks should be free to wear masks for whatever reason…. Except for bank robbery 😉

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Friend was saying in her golfing group many wear because allergies are rotten
Do we need a study that shows whether or not masks do a good job at preventing seasonal allergies? :)

Side note...as I was riding my john deere mowing on Sunday, I could not stop sneezing.

Lilofan

Do we need a study that shows whether or not masks do a good job at preventing seasonal allergies? :)

Side note...as I was riding my john deere mowing on Sunday, I could not stop sneezing.
Gave up mowing years ago. Between snakes crawling up my leg, and gators ar the waters edge, I’m paying someone to cut the grass . Never had issues sneezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom