Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

My concern in case numbers is how it is impacting education.

As I shared earlier this week our school has outbreaks in classrooms across multiple grade levels. We’ve had 7 teachers out, with not enough subs to fill in for them. Current policy is those people are out for 10 days. It’s high enough that it’s impacting Special Ed services being delivered, our standardized tests are soon and obviously it’s impacting that, etc.

While I agree on a larger scale that hospitalizations and deaths are more a barometer for concern, there is still reason to pay attention to and have concern for case counts and how that is impacting the local community.
I understand that and replied that we had been there before. Now not at all. Our state testing is done and just finals left for my kid. But I absolutely understand the worry. In Jan it was so unknown what we would be doing. It was so hard. So if it happened again it would suck! Fortunately we're past the testing and our sub pool grew.

Currently our policy is down to 5 days I think... Definitely not 10. Other districts are even less strict. Friend went back after being out of school just a few days being fever free and symptom free. Wore masks for 2 weeks though.

Angel Ariel

I understand that and replied that we had been there before. Now not at all. Our state testing is done and just finals left for my kid. But I absolutely understand the worry. In Jan it was so unknown what we would be doing. It was so hard. So if it happened again it would suck! Fortunately we're past the testing and our sub pool grew.

Currently our policy is down to 5 days I think... Definitely not 10. Other districts are even less strict. Friend went back after being out of school just a few days being fever free and symptom free. Wore masks for 2 weeks though.
We were just told that our policy will move down to 5 days on May 1, but I have concerns about that given the significant uptick in our schools (high schools are having serious outbreaks due to proms, etc). Not opposed to the idea of it, but doing so in the middle of multiple significant outbreaks across the entire district seems a bit ill advised.

DisneyCane

We were just told that our policy will move down to 5 days on May 1, but I have concerns about that given the significant uptick in our schools (high schools are having serious outbreaks due to proms, etc). Not opposed to the idea of it, but doing so in the middle of multiple significant outbreaks across the entire district seems a bit ill advised.
Large outbreaks and serious outbreaks are two very different things. A serious outbreak would mean that a significant number of people getting seriously ill. A bunch of high school students testing positive or having mild symptoms is not, in any way, shape, or form, "serious."

Angel Ariel

Large outbreaks and serious outbreaks are two very different things. A serious outbreak would mean that a significant number of people getting seriously ill. A bunch of high school students testing positive or having mild symptoms is not, in any way, shape, or form, "serious."
I am using serious in the context of the impact it is having on staffing and access to services.

correcaminos

If it is any consolation my friend I posted about - they all had same concerns. Their changes came before their spring break - cannot say when but at least March if not earlier. None of their concerns came to fruition.

I will say the prom I read about, I would call it a large outbreak (90 out of 600) but not serious. When students say they had little to no symptoms that isn't serious to me.

Dizneykid

Good question but the hospital where my family member is is taking no chances. They limited visitation to one guest per patient. Previously it was two guests to see patient at the same time.

It's weird because the largest hospital in my state ended visitor restrictions days after reporting that hospitalizations have spiked again. I can't keep up with the conflicting criteria. We have reached a point where we have as much awareness as we can have for making our own decisions but there's no rhyme or reason. I get why people are frustrated on both sides.

DisneyCane

So just to clarify: you're saying that the data isn't valid because of the intended recipient for that data?
I'm saying that the CDC is saying that the "community transmission" map should not be used to determine what, if any, actions should be taken. It was in response to a post showing how much transmission was in Florida and advising to take whatever precautions you need but the CDC specifically says NOT to use that map for the purpose of determining precautions.

Heelz2315

I'm saying that the CDC is saying that the "community transmission" map should not be used to determine what, if any, actions should be taken. It was in response to a post showing how much transmission was in Florida and advising to take whatever precautions you need but the CDC specifically says NOT to use that map for the purpose of determining precautions.

I’d almost bet WDW uses that map as one of the things to decide what precautions/mitigations to impose and when to life or bring them back

correcaminos

Just wondering, has anyone have/had a permanent reaction from the covid shot that has affected your sinuses?
No. No permanent reactions for any of my 3. I have bad sinuses due to allergies and deviated septum but nothing related to covid shots. Honestly I have never heard a reaction to the shot at all like that as it doesn't make you sick to affect sinuses.

Vegas Disney Fan

Just wondering, has anyone have/had a permanent reaction from the covid shot that has affected your sinuses?
My allergies are bad this year but I don’t attribute that with the vaccine, just a bad allergy season.

Prior to a few weeks ago, when things started blooming, I had no sinus issues at all (including last years allergy season) so I’d have to say no.

Lilofan

I don’t mind wearing them when things are bad, and cases are high. I just don’t want to wear one anywhere at Disney. Especially in the summer when it’s 100 degrees
At least it is one part of your face that won't be burnt from the hot FL sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom