Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Out of curiosity - has anyone yet received their free test kits from the US government? It's sure been a while and I haven't gotten mine yet.

It took a couple of weeks but I got mine, ordered when the site went live

How efficient! I guess the tests will be ready for the next wave since the Omicron wave is pretty much done. Hopefully these tests that they spend however many billions purchasing will have sensitivity to whatever the next variant is.

Heppenheimer

How efficient! I guess the tests will be ready for the next wave since the Omicron wave is pretty much done. Hopefully these tests that they spend however many billions purchasing will have sensitivity to whatever the next variant is.
Omicron is certainly not "done" yet. Yes, we're in the downslope, but we only passed hospitalization numbers lower than the delta peak about a week ago. I don't think we're likely to see another surge with this variant, but "not as terrible as previously" is still not the same as "good" or "done". People are still getting severely ill with omicron in fairly large numbers. They're just not stressing the medical system to the same critical degree.

Back to the question, I have not yet received my tests, but a whole lot of tests were delivered to primary care clinics across the country. We've been giving them away to every patient, kind of like dentists give a little toy to every child.

drizgirl

Out of curiosity - has anyone yet received their free test kits from the US government? It's sure been a while and I haven't gotten mine yet.
You can have mine. They arrived in a late mail delivery and sat overnight in the mail box in single digit weather.

drizgirl

Probably not. Unless she gets severely ill, I doubt they would risk unproven treatments, when the approved medical therapies work pretty well.

What is different for the Queen is that she will probably jump to the front of the line if the UK had a shortage of the approved treatments. I have no idea if availability is a problem there right now.
Fair point. But let's hope they aren't holding off with it out of concern for unknown long term side effects.

Heppenheimer

Fair point. But let's hope they aren't holding off with it out of concern for unknown long term side effects.
The chances of a one-time monoclonal antibody infusion causing delayed, long-term side effects are almost nil, and I'm sure the Queen's personal physicians do not have this concern (if they did, this would place them outside the medical mainstream). Same thing with a vaccine, if they don't trigger an autoimmune reaction very soon afterwards, they never will. We use monoclonal antibodies to treat all kinds of other diseases, and these are mostly very well tolerated medications, and these are regular injections, not on-offs like with COVID.

I have my doubts too that a short, time limited course of Paxlovid could also have long term toxicities, unless it's given inappropriately. The medication has a surprising number of contraindications.

drizgirl

The chances of a one-time monoclonal antibody infusion causing delayed, long-term side effects are almost nil, and I'm sure the Queen's personal physicians do not have this concern (if they did, this would place them outside the medical mainstream). Same thing with a vaccine, if they don't trigger an autoimmune reaction very soon afterwards, they never will. We use monoclonal antibodies to treat all kinds of other diseases, and these are mostly very well tolerated medications, and these are regular injections, not on-offs like with COVID.

I have my doubts too that a short, time limited course of Paxlovid could also have long term toxicities, unless it's given inappropriately. The medication has a surprising number of contraindications.
It was a joke.

Lilofan

Ordered the free stuff over a month ago, still waiting. I don't know if the porch pirates cruising the neighborhood grabbed it.

DisneyDebRob

Got them 2 weeks ago. As some have said, they fit in the mailbox. Well standard mailboxes that is. If you have a small opening or not regulation size it won’t fit.

BuddyThomas

DisneyCane

From the article:
Some experts think it's unlikely BA.2 will trigger a massive new surge because so many people have immunity from prior infections and vaccination at this point.

"The most likely thing that's going to happen is that it might extend our tail, meaning it might slow down the decrease in cases. But it's probably not going to lead to a new wave of cases," says Grubaugh.
It seems the extended tail is exactly what happened in South Africa where the article says that BA.2 became dominant. The spin of this article is basically trying to counter the rapid removal of mitigation measures across the US with frightening predictions.

As soon as the CDC revises mitigation recommendations so that they are based upon hospitalizations and other health care system metrics instead of case counts, it will basically mark the official end of at least 70% of people caring at all about COVID.

mellyf

Still waiting. I ordered on January 19. Three people that I work with ordered theirs the same day or within a day and got their test kits within a week.

correcaminos

Some articles are out to scare people. This one really is full of that.... read some quotes like this

"A lot of us were assuming that it was going to quickly take off in the United States just like it was doing in Europe and become the new dominant variant," says Nathan Grubaugh, an associate professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health.

So far that hasn't happened. Instead, BA.2 has slowly, but steadily spread even as the omicron surge continued to dissipate.

Denmark also was the ones who removed mitigations right at the height of omicron. Claiming it was the subtype of omicron is a guess. Plus if it caused a wave it was incredibly short lived and on the way down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom