Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Maybe we should embrace youth hockey more?

And I'm not going to try to make what is likely a completely unfounded correlation... but maybe this can offer a window into some of the cultural differences. Have you ever seen the portion sizes at Tim Horton's versus American fast food? Yes, Tim Horton's is hardly health food, but perhaps is says something that Canada's most popular restaurant chain doesn't feel the economic pressure to "Super-size" everything on the menu.

I might be forming a false memory, since the pandemic has kept me out of Canada for the past two years, but I seem to recall, sit-down chains in Canada like Kelsey's, St. Hubert, Boston Pizza, Montana's, and The Keg serve far more reasonable portions than their US counterparts. But then again, Swiss Chalet gives you a huge portion of fries.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

And I'm not going to try to make what is likely a completely unfounded correlation... but maybe this can offer a window into some of the cultural differences. Have you ever seen the portion sizes at Tim Horton's versus American fast food? Yes, Tim Horton's is hardly health food, but perhaps is says something that Canada's most popular restaurant chain doesn't feel the economic pressure to "Super-size" everything on the menu.
One entree at Cheesecake Factory could feed a family of four.

JoeCamel

I might be forming a false memory, since the pandemic has kept me out of Canada for the past two years, but I seem to recall, sit-down chains in Canada like Kelsey's, St. Hubert, Boston Pizza, Montana's, and The Keg serve far more reasonable portions than their US counterparts. But then again, Swiss Chalet gives you a huge portion of fries.
It didn't start with food, it has been a cultural norm in the US for a very long time that more is better, much to our detriment

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have no idea, but it doesn't seem that likely to overcome some of the specific cultural differences between the US and Canada.
Probably not. We are different. Different mindset. But as you can see in recent news, for some/many Canadians, there is a limit to how far they can be pushed. Not wanting to get into what is going on specifically....just calling out that everyone has their limits.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I wonder if overall health to start with is better in Canada than in the US. Like not as many comorbidities
That is likely one factor I bet...

But on the other end, keep in mind also that the hospital capacity in most of Canada is woefully less than we have in the US. This is a benefit that many in the US take for granted. So when we talk about mitigation efforts/mandates in Canada, some of it really wasn't by 100% choice but practically by necessity.

Bottom line, each country chooses its own path. Like South Africa's 25% vaccination rate when omicron was rolling in.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

This is just an interesting article that puts in numbers how much better Canada has managed the pandemic than the US:

I'm not sure I completely buy the reasoning, though. From what I can see in the polling numbers, Canadians haven't stubbornly resisted vaccination and mitigation measures in nearly the amount we have in the US. Would better funding for access to regular health care have changed this resistance? I have no idea, but it doesn't seem that likely to overcome some of the specific cultural differences between the US and Canada.
My guess is this is as simple as Canadas 20% vs our 30% obesity rate, Canadas 80% vs our 60% vaccination rate, and Canadas health care system encouraging frequent visits while our copay based system encourages us to avoid the hospital unless it’s necessary.

Canadas average life expectancy and average healthy years are 3-4 years higher than the US in every category, overall they simply take better care of themselves than we do.

correcaminos

Disney has announced masks will become optional indoors for vaccinated guests beginning February 17th.

Masks will still be required on all enclosed transportation.
I made a joke on the other thread, can't we just open the monorail windows and let us not wear there? I was going to use the monorail to epcot next month... I don't really want to drive but could.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

mmascari

We expect Guests who are not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, including indoor attractions and theaters.

Written by a lawyer, someone making joke, or the vaccination rate at Disney is higher than anywhere else?

I mean, I get it, they're dropping the requirement. Buy why even include that in the announcement? That's the group most likely to not wear one today when it is the rule for everyone. I have no expectation that anyone meeting this condition will be wearing a mask at all. No expectation that Disney will even try to get them to wear one either. Which makes having the rule stupid. Just be honest and drop them.

Can I bring food on rides now? A large coke on Test Track? Is the rule against that any more important? How do I determine which rules are really rules and which ones are just lawyer CYA but aren't really rules and can be ignored?

G00fyDad

Written by a lawyer, someone making joke, or the vaccination rate at Disney is higher than anywhere else?

I mean, I get it, they're dropping the requirement. Buy why even include that in the announcement? That's the group most likely to not wear one today when it is the rule for everyone. I have no expectation that anyone meeting this condition will be wearing a mask at all. No expectation that Disney will even try to get them to wear one either. Which makes having the rule stupid. Just be honest and drop them.

Can I bring food on rides now? A large coke on Test Track? Is the rule against that any more important? How do I determine which rules are really rules and which ones are just lawyer CYA but aren't really rules and can be ignored?
Listen to this guy. He's right there in your head. :)
cricket GIF

Unfortunately some (a lot of) people have no sense of self or the wellbeing of others and do not know the meaning of morals. We cannot expect that these people will do what they should do. Heck, these same people haven't worn a mask from day one of mask mandates in their own hometown. Do we really expect them to do so now? LOL

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Its the cousin to the warning signs on attractions about heart conditions, pregnancy etc. its intended to shift liability. Its a second cousin to the signs everywhere in California disclosing that the state of California knows everything causes cancer.

Heppenheimer

Its the cousin to the warning signs on attractions about heart conditions, pregnancy etc. its intended to shift liability. Its a second cousin to the signs everywhere in California disclosing that the state of California knows everything causes cancer.
Funny, I don't recall ever seeing that sign in any Disneyland venue that serves alcohol.

Maybe some industries just have better lobbyists...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom