Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

One other thing I think could be a serious help would be for the FDA to approve the Covaxin vaccine. That is a more traditional "inactivated virus" vaccine similar to the flu vaccine. I think having that option available could help overcome some vaccine hesitancy from those who are not necessarily anti-vax but are leery of mRNA technology. Johnson & Johnson originally was that "alternative" option, but I think the early issues with blood clotting and the subsequent pause kind of ruined its reputation in the public's mind.
The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is not a traditional vaccine.

Trauma

Honest question. For those who are anti mask, anti vaccine mandate, but not pro-COVID.

What’s the solution to reduce yearly deaths from 400,000 to something like 100,000?

With hopefully a similar reduction in other COVID complications.

I saw a tweet today that said vaccination doesn’t work, followed by “The more you vaccinate the more people get infected. Simple math really.” It’s shaken my faith that anything is possible and we’re at the lowest impact that’s possible in the US.
So here is an idea - Don’t go on twitter.

Problem solved.

DisneyCane

If that nasal spray works out, we may actually have the tool to really end this thing for good...

...if people actually take it. I must say, the past two years have really shaken my faith in humanity's reasoning ability.
I think people will be more inclined to have something sprayed into their nose than injected. Since they don't really understand anything they'll think the nano it's can't get in through the nose.

hopemax

Honest question. For those who are anti mask, anti vaccine mandate, but not pro-COVID.

What’s the solution to reduce yearly deaths from 400,000 to something like 100,000?

I saw a tweet today that said vaccination doesn’t work, followed by “The more you vaccinate the more people get infected. Simple math really.” It’s shaken my faith that anything is possible and we’re at the lowest impact that’s possible in the US.
You know the answer... people just think we can wait it out and Covid won't settle in the range that is "worse than flu." Bad things won't happen to them, or if it does "it's just their time." Which is one of the things people say for why they won't change their diet or exercise, or give up unhealthy habits like smoking or too much alcohol. We can't even get people to say we should make societal changes to "improving ventilation" or universal paid sick leave policies. If individual establishments want to do something, they can... if your job gives you sick leave, you can take it. Individual, but not societal, community. One of the policy guys posted a list of things that are standard in European countries who are dropping their mitigations that the USA does not have. But we'll look at them to justify why we should drop things too, and then be surprised when things don't turn out the same.

So you can see where my faith is too. :)

Ayla

The last two years have shown there are a lot of stupid people. People who I believed were semi-intelligent until they proved me wrong.

Trauma

That would solve seeing that particular tweet. But, I would have to give up this site, NPR, all other news sources, and burry my head in the sand to pretend things were different. That’s not a better solution.
Might be.

Seems like the news has you freaked out.

Chip Chipperson

I saw a Facebook post today touting a "COVID-19 vaccines cause HIV" conspiracy theory. Seriously. It's amazing that the "I'm just asking questions" crowd never questions the things that are clearly nuts. All that's left now is for someone to claim that the virus is a conspiracy between the government, aliens, and Bigfoot to turn us into a race of strong hairy space travelers so we can be put to work on the moon to mine for a secret element used to fuel interdimensional vehicles.

maui2k7

We can’t mask our way out of COVID. Omicron proved that to us all.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m not sure there is a solution but we have vaccines available to everyone (or will very soon with the under 5 approvals coming) so now it truly does become a personal choice.

The people that choose to get vaccinated will likely die at or below flu rates, those that don’t get vaccinated are on their own, if I thought they’d change their mind I’d be okay giving them more time but it’s become crystal clear the holdouts are never changing their mind so there’s not much benefit in us trying to protect them from themselves.

Masks or no masks the death rate will be similar.

I’m surprised no states have done a mandate yet, they historically have the power but not a single one has even attempted it. I’m not sure if that’s because they don’t want to fight it in court or they’re afraid of political repercussions but I’m amazed none have tried.

Last edited:

mmascari

I’m not sure there is a solution but we have vaccines available to everyone (or will very soon with the under 5 approvals coming) so now it truly does become a personal choice.

The people that choose to get vaccinated will likely die at or below flu rates, those that don’t get vaccinated are on their own, if I thought they’d change their mind I’d be okay giving them more time but it’s become crystal clear the holdouts are never changing their mind so there’s not much benefit in us trying to protect them from themselves.

Masks or no masks the death rate will be similar.

I’m surprised no states have done a mandate yet, they historically have the power but not a single one has even attempted it. I’m not sure if that’s because they don’t want to fight it in court or they’re afraid of political repercussions but I’m amazed none have tried.
So, no masks, and nothing else? That’s it, the 400,000 is it.

It’s true, the vast majority of those 400,000 will be unvaccinated people. But there will be vaccinated in the mix too. If the vaccinated are 5% that’s 20,000 who tried and got unlucky. If the level was down to 100,000, it could be 5,000 who tried and got unlucky. So, we just doom and extra 280,000 unvaccinated jerks and 15,000 who tried cause we’ve got nothing. Not to mention those who the vaccine doesn’t work for. To bad for them.

mmascari

Thats what I think, we’ve done what we can, unfortunately that’s the number and our only hope is immunity from prior infection starts playing a bigger role to keep the unvaccinated alive.
If that’s it, we’ve done all that we can do, we don’t deserve nice things. That’s freaking depressing to think we’ve tried everything and are out of options.

This plan will take a decade or more for it to drop to low levels.

sullyinMT

If that’s it, we’ve done all that we can do, we don’t deserve nice things. That’s freaking depressing to think we’ve tried everything and are out of options.

This plan will take a decade or more for it to drop to low levels.
My personal read of the “room” is that the general hope is that this is the virus’s last push. Experts and medically credentialed pundits that have been cautious all along seem to be taking a different tone lately. They come across optimistic that once the deaths from this current wave tick down, and cases drop hopefully to last summer’s levels and ideally lower, we will enter the real “living with it” stage.

What political leaders have done with the change in tone is jump the gun maybe a little. But they know November is fast approaching, and the general populous is beyond tired. So, hopefully our actual public health timeline just pushes out a little. Because if a new super mutation or something comes along, I don’t know that the world is ready for square one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom