Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maui2k7

How are your schools faring right now with reported cases?

Here in the suburbs just north of Houston, our district of about 20k kids in total currently has 1.5% of all students (309) and just under 2% (48) of all staff out with COVID. The active cases in our school district have gone up around 20% week over week in the schools, but are still half the delta peak in early Sept.

Overall, the 7 day rolling average of newly reported COVID in Harris County (Houston) continues to trend down from the peak about a 10 days ago.

G00fyDad

Another myth found to be untrue. Every study in the last 2 months should put to rest any doubts about getting vaccinated and boosted.

One of my son's friends told him that his appendix (my son's) became inflamed and nearly ruptured because he got vaccinated. How do you even respond to something that stupid? All my son could do is stare at this person he assumed was intelligent as if he had been wrong all along. He hasn't been speaking to that friend much since that stupid statement. He told me that he is afraid that he'll have a toothache or something and the friend will blame Pfiser.

Screenshot_20220123-200129_Instagram.jpg

correcaminos

Here in the suburbs just north of Houston, our district of about 20k kids in total currently has 1.5% of all students (309) and just under 2% (48) of all staff out with COVID. The active cases in our school district have gone up around 20% week over week in the schools, but are still half the delta peak in early Sept.

Overall, the 7 day rolling average of newly reported COVID in Harris County (Houston) continues to trend down from the peak about a 10 days ago.
I think we peaked at roughly 2.7% of all staff and students out almost 2 weeks ago. About 2.3% last week. We had been 2% for a few weeks prior. Since school in Aug 17.6% of all staff and students have had a positive case. We're suburban district as well. I do not have teacher totals for a siblings district but they showed a peak the same week we did and topped at about 3% of the kids. For the first time in forever it feels like no delays or early releases due to staffing issues

Major city near only have 4 schools remote today for covid (a 5th is closed due to a furnace issue - and in the teens still they cannot go with such low temps). That's down from I think over a dozen (lost count tbh). They have about 50k students and 9k staff. They peaked also a over a week ago with 4% of the kids out and over 4.5% of staff (some staff could have been out due to their own sick family member though). They had one day they entirely closed due to transportation issues a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

correcaminos

One of my son's friends told him that his appendix (my son's) became inflamed and nearly ruptured because he got vaccinated. How do you even respond to something that stupid? All my son could do is stare at this person he assumed was intelligent as if he had been wrong all along. He hasn't been speaking to that friend much since that stupid statement. He told me that he is afraid that he'll have a toothache or something and the friend will blame Pfiser.

View attachment 616196
Yeah I had a smart friend say something that has been debunked too. Granted they got their booster even but some of the stuff I hear just makes me go huh?

Patcheslee

Our system doesn't send out updates Indiana only updates on Mondays by 5pm for previous week. Her particular school is 7th & 8th grade only. 804 in her building, 7 new cases reported last Monday, so 7 new cases January 11-14th. At the previous peak, the school ran around 1 or 2 a week. Jackson County still hasn't show peak or downward trend besides weekends when testing is limited.

correcaminos

Our system doesn't send out updates Indiana only updates on Mondays by 5pm for previous week. Her particular school is 7th & 8th grade only. 804 in her building, 7 new cases reported last Monday, so 7 new cases January 11-14th. At the previous peak, the school ran around 1 or 2 a week. Jackson County still hasn't show peak or downward trend besides weekends when testing is limited.
That's impressive honestly. Our specific school is similar size and ages of kids and we were getting 10 or 20 a day on the worst days (that does include staff and roll over from weekends). We get daily reports for cases in school and also singular class and close contact notifications.

Patcheslee

That's impressive honestly. Our specific school is similar size and ages of kids and we were getting 10 or 20 a day on the worst days (that does include staff and roll over from weekends). We get daily reports for cases in school and also singular class and close contact notifications.
I'm waiting to see what this week looks like, I've only kept an eye on student cases, teachers and staff has been low <5 weekly. With it being their first week back, after a 3 week break, chances the cases were from school exposure that week seem slim. Most the parents I know don't get their kids tested for close contact unless they show symptoms since the 5 days out doesn't change to return to school. I got her PCR as my work requirement only. Before she had results back, I had to continue to report in, now that they are back and she is symptomatic I have to wait on my own.

correcaminos

I'm waiting to see what this week looks like, I've only kept an eye on student cases, teachers and staff has been low <5 weekly. With it being their first week back, after a 3 week break, chances the cases were from school exposure that week seem slim. Most the parents I know don't get their kids tested for close contact unless they show symptoms since the 5 days out doesn't change to return to school. I got her PCR as my work requirement only. Before she had results back, I had to continue to report in, now that they are back and she is symptomatic I have to wait on my own.
Our staff and students are pooled together in our reports. It's been daily at the school where before it was a few times a week. They only report when they get cases, which means before some days we were zero. So I cannot break down to know who is what but based on things I've seen with charts it was more students than teachers. They do not report over break, but come back with totals of those reported to the school only. We went back on the 5th I think right as numbers were soaring locally.

We tested for close contact but couldn't get in for a PCR so take that for what it's worth. It was not required though and there were no removals from school for close contacts here. So my kid continued as always for school. I'm sorry that your DD is positive and hope it is mild. For us my biggest worry was the last close contact we had was the same day as the booster. I only there's still a 25% chance of it not helping enough but still I didn't want to risk possible more of a hard time recovering while being boosted and exposed simultaneously. Now we've at least done all we can. Though with asymptomatic we can go to school no worries. We did decline a birthday party because of it though. That was our choice.

I always WFH unless I fly into work. DH WFH most of the time too so for us we can isolate completely if needed without worry. Just hope the cases keep dropping but with MLK weekend I worry they'll jump up a little but our last nosedive was significant here. Much like our jumps were massive in the end of Dec and beginning of Jan.

Kevin_W

My DD's school district has the highest # of cases in the state of Ohio (and we're not close to the largest district), so I would say poorly.

Her middle school had about 8% of the students out with positive cases the first couple weeks in January. Dropped down to 6% by end of last week - I hope it keeps dropping and that my daughter doesn't get it. She missed 2 days last week with booster side effects and keeping up with classwork was hard enough with just 2 days.

maui2k7

Here is the link to the dashboard our district has published which is updated daily.

correcaminos

My DD's school district has the highest # of cases in the state of Ohio (and we're not close to the largest district), so I would say poorly.

Her middle school had about 8% of the students out with positive cases the first couple weeks in January. Dropped down to 6% by end of last week - I hope it keeps dropping and that my daughter doesn't get it. She missed 2 days last week with booster side effects and keeping up with classwork was hard enough with just 2 days.
Just curious if that was total for the year or a single week? I've seen articles about the former. Hoping cases are dropping where you are. Ohio does seem to be on a downward trend...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have been very cautious about COVID from the very beginning but I have finally decided to schedule a Disney/Universal trip for the end of April. I figure things will probably be pretty good at that point, it will either be the end of it, or a lull before the next curve ball in the pandemic.

Incomudro

I have been very cautious about COVID from the very beginning but I have finally decided to schedule a Disney/Universal trip for the end of April. I figure things will probably be pretty good at that point, it will either be the end of it, or a lull before the next curve ball in the pandemic.
Yes, we're going late March - because that's what works best for our family now that everyone works, or has school etc.
I'm very happy that our trip looks like it is going to coincide with a nice drop in everything.
If we're lucky, we'll be in the parks during a sweet spot.

Kevin_W

Just curious if that was total for the year or a single week? I've seen articles about the former. Hoping cases are dropping where you are. Ohio does seem to be on a downward trend...
That 8% out was as of last Monday. I don't know what the cumulative is over the last year, but it has to be at least 25% of the school.

Last spring/fall we'd get emails 1-3 times a week it felt like with the text "This email is to inform you of the fact that there has been a confirmed student case of COVID-19...".

After break we were getting emails saying "This email is to inform you of the fact that there has been twenty-seven confirmed student cases of COVID-19..."

It's been crazy.

Kevin_W

Cases are dropping in our locale. They have taken to updating the dashboard daily (was weekly, then semi-weekly) and DD's school is down to 4.5% positive as of today. That's still high, but that means a lot of kids that got exposed over break and were positive earlier in Jan are coming back to school. And hopefully not too many more are getting it.

correcaminos

Cases are dropping in our locale. They have taken to updating the dashboard daily (was weekly, then semi-weekly) and DD's school is down to 4.5% positive as of today. That's still high, but that means a lot of kids that got exposed over break and were positive earlier in Jan are coming back to school. And hopefully not too many more are getting it.
I am hoping it drops for you all. We don't get positivity in our schools, I just have to do the math ourselves. I am hoping that the MLK weekend didn't do much. I know there were some swim meets that weekend with people traveling so I am just hoping this week isn't as bad as 2 weeks ago. Last week was high but much better at least.

Our emails were much like yours X many cases in the school today. We were not getting daily like that until after break. Before break a handful a week. Goes to show that being out of school didn't do much as that's when we blew up in cases.

DisneyCane

Another COVID scandal hits the UK:

I think this one may prove decisive.
Decisive of what? That he was making rules that he didn't believe in as many others around the world (several high profile examples in the US as well) also did?

If you mean in a political sense then I don't think UK politics are allowed here either but I'm not a moderator.

LittleBuford

Decisive of what? That he was making rules that he didn't believe in as many others around the world (several high profile examples in the US as well) also did?

If you mean in a political sense then I don't think UK politics are allowed here either but I'm not a moderator.
In a general COVID thread, I think it’s fair to share news of a pandemic-related scandal that has grown to such proportions that it may well cause the resignation or toppling of no less a figure than the British prime minister. I’m not inviting or engaging in partisan discussion; the story transcends party politics. At any rate, I’m happy for my post to be removed if it’s deemed to be inappropriate.

Disney Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom