Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

It might feel good for you to preach about getting arms out. But I guarantee it's not motivating anyone.
Why the attack? I’m not preaching anything. I said it’s time, with all the data, to discuss it factually to people hesitant. The data, as you are worried about is numerous in favor of getting it. Motivating people needs to be fact based and we have that now.

drizgirl

The data is readily available. People just keep ignoring it.
Ok, stop reporting it then. Case closed. So maybe stop even conducting the research if we aren’t going to report it.

I’m quite amused at the pushback at my support for continuing to highlight this positive data. This is almost as vexing as watching everyone try to claim nobody ever said the vaccines would prevent infection.

Fascinating stuff.

peter11435

Ok, stop reporting it then. Case closed. So maybe stop even conducting the research if we aren’t going to report it.

I’m quite amused at the pushback at my support for continuing to highlight this positive data. This is almost as vexing as watching everyone try to claim nobody ever said the vaccines would prevent infection.

Fascinating stuff.
When did I ever say we should stop reporting data or conducting research?

Hit them from all angles

Patcheslee

Hope your friend recovers fully drizgirl, that reminds me to call my friend who informed me neither she nor husband or 18 year old DD had their booster yet last week.....I encourage, her older sister and family all came back from WDW, with underlying health issues, and had been vaccinated but not boosted and were very ill. That made he start to think on it.....I was like really? But told her places I knew of that were good experiences and organized. Procrastination is not your friend with omicron.:(
Feels like double edged sword sometimes, personally frustrating, and a bit confusing if we are getting efficient protection or stuck behind the 8ball when waves hit. DD13 fully vaccinated June 3rd 2021, due to the gap for booster approval, hers wasn't done until Jan 10th 2022. With the booster being 2 months after the 5 month recommendation, was she more at risk than kids who waited to start? Myself receiving J&J back in March 2021, with booster recommended at 2 months was waaay past due for a booster by yhe time boosters were approved.
It does sometimes feel like hurry up and wait.

correcaminos

Feels like double edged sword sometimes, personally frustrating, and a bit confusing if we are getting efficient protection or stuck behind the 8ball when waves hit. DD13 fully vaccinated June 3rd 2021, due to the gap for booster approval, hers wasn't done until Jan 10th 2022. With the booster being 2 months after the 5 month recommendation, was she more at risk than kids who waited to start? Myself receiving J&J back in March 2021, with booster recommended at 2 months was waaay past due for a booster by yhe time boosters were approved.
It does sometimes feel like hurry up and wait.
The 5 months is minimum. Most of us in the beginning were long past 5 months to get ours. I was 10 months almost to the day.

Last edited:

Nubs70

The data is readily available. People just keep ignoring it.
Are you positive they are ignoring it?

Individuals are allowed to interpret the data, perform their individual risk/reward analysis, act on their individual risk/reward analysis, and live,or not, with the results.

Lilofan

There are lots of reasons people have put off the boosters. I just personally think that hearing more data from time to time is vastly more motivational than lecturing them on “ arms out”, “roll up your sleeves” or “get your Fauci ouchi” like so many around here like to throw around constantly.
There are reasons and there are made up excuses , big difference. Some are unfortunately learning the hard way in the recovery phase of getting covid. The lecturing comes from the medical experts . My friends and family believe it or not are still overwhelmed with dealing with and taking care of covid patients in their respective hospitals that they work in. They are the ones continually pleading with the public to get vaccinated and boostered. If that is what is perceived as lecturing I'm all for it. Some that I know had recovered from covid with serious symptoms and it woke them up to reality to then roll up their sleeves to get vaccinated and boostered up also.

peter11435

Are you positive they are ignoring it?

Individuals are allowed to interpret the data, perform their individual risk/reward analysis, act on their individual risk/reward analysis, and live,or not, with the results.
They are ignoring it.

There’s only one way to interpret the data unless you’re being deliberately obtuse.

Individuals are free to act upon that data as they see fit. Doesn’t mean their choices are informed or intelligent.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Why the attack? I’m not preaching anything. I said it’s time, with all the data, to discuss it factually to people hesitant. The data, as you are worried about is numerous in favor of getting it. Motivating people needs to be fact based and we have that now.
Because that approach doesn't work on the segment of people that don't like to feel that they are being told what to do.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Against Omicron they are nowhere near this level.
With boosters they are right there - around 70%.

I talked to a virologist friend of mine recently. She contends that the vaccines actually would likely still provide high 90+% efficacy against the ancestral strain and probably Alpha. What has changed with Delta, and even moreso Omicron, is that they replicate a lot faster, thus not allowing the B Cells to make new antibodies fast enough (antibodies always wane from vaccines, although they wane less in 4/5 shot courses.)

But we can't gloss over the fact that the vaccine, even without the booster, offers significant long-term protection over severe disease. While that's not the ideal outcome we have hoped for, it is still an outcome that will help us get out of this pandemic.

They will also be Gen 2 vaccines at some point that will probably offer more robust long-term protection. Walter Reed has a pan coronavirus vaccine in trials that actually targets all coronaviruses and has high efficacy. It is also much less susceptible to mutations.

Bottom line The vaccine still offer good protection, although it could be a lot better. What we have now is a crisis of hospital care because of unvaccinated individuals affecting the rest of us, and that is what is keeping the pandemic going.

Laketravis

I hope I'm posting this in the right place (this IS about Disney and Covid, correct?) but I'm taking a couple hundred high school kids to the World in April and just last week got a copy of Disney's student group requirements. Sharing in case anyone is interested:

1642881806673.png

correcaminos

The vaccination rate is a worldwide issue. That’s one of the reasons I said that putting children in danger, here in the US, has nothing to do with the vaccine.
Let me guess school closures again then? How can you run a school when there isn't staff to do it? Cannot mandate vaccines so we are stuck with random closures and online only at times. My school hasn't been affected yet knock on wood but many in my area have. You literally cannot open schools in person if you don't have adults to run it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Let me guess school closures again then? How can you run a school when there isn't staff to do it? Cannot mandate vaccines so we are stuck with random closures and online only at times. My school hasn't been affected yet knock on wood but many in my area have. You literally cannot open schools in person if you don't have adults to run it.
I don’t really have an issue closing a single school out of absolute necessity. As a last resort. I have an issue with entire school districts preemptively shutting down all of their schools as a reaction to a wave, in order to “slow the spread.” That’s where I draw the line. It’s dangerous.

correcaminos

I don’t really have an issue closing a single school out of absolute necessity. As a last resort. I have an issue with entire school districts preemptively shutting down all of their schools as a reaction to a wave, in order to “slow the spread.” That’s where I draw the line. It’s dangerous.
Not sure where you live, but schools were not the only thing shut down during that time. We came back after 2 weeks to finish up the year for the kids at least online. The ones who were hurting most were small businesses IMO. Kids are more resistant as a whole and at least here there were programs in place to help at risk kids. Tried to help out with those as much as possible tbh. Worse was losing months of income during a time when we tried to help.

But that is old news and we've moved on from that. So not sure why it is still an issue.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not sure where you live, but schools were not the only thing shut down during that time. We came back after 2 weeks to finish up the year for the kids at least online. The ones who were hurting most were small businesses IMO. Kids are more resistant as a whole and at least here there were programs in place to help at risk kids. Tried to help out with those as much as possible tbh. Worse was losing months of income during a time when we tried to help.

But that is old news and we've moved on from that. So not sure why it is still an issue.
Because many districts across the country refused to reopen after Christmas break and are still closed today. Either due to the unions being unions, or by a poor mentality from school district leaders. Not because of current school outbreaks where they had no choice. Some of these districts have the majority of their kids living below the poverty line.
I am not going to stop beating the drum of this dangerous behavior.

correcaminos

Because many districts across the country refused to reopen after Christmas break and are still closed today. Either due to the unions being unions, or by a poor mentality from school district leaders. Not because of current school outbreaks where they had no choice. Some of these districts have the majority of their kids living below the poverty line.
I am not going to stop beating the drum of this dangerous behavior.
The districts closed this year right now that I know of, are lacking staff or have over 1/4 of the kids out. Schools always close with excessive absences. Now I only know my area, but not one school is closed that doesn't have a valid excuse. It literally is that bad now. Even my district I am seeing more cases per day than I'd see all week or even all month previously. The below poverty level districts here are out of subs and out of ability to send kids and have them watched properly. So if the school is closed they have food for the kids and chromebooks and hot spots. When you cannot open, you adapt. Many schools have thanks to federal aid.

I think if there are unions pushing for closures find out why and make sure we are not risking losing more teachers for next year when getting a solution. My kid's bus driver quit due to risk so we're now on bus driver #4 this year. That happens when you push too far too. Most schools are far beyond closing for no cause now. If there are exceptions then deal with it, but as a whole what you are claiming just isn't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom