Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'll probably take those 4 tests to FL since it seems getting tested there is tough. It amazes me that a place like FL that relies on tourism doesn't have the best system in the entire world in place for testing. FL should be a model for testing, not sure why they aren't. They just do not put their resources there I guess.
Curative.com, select a site with rapid PCR, and book an appointment. There's one located just off-property in Lake Buena Vista and another a little bit further away in Kissimmee.

Testing is free - either through your medical insurance or paid for by the government if you're uninsured.

hopemax

Oh, and wouldn't you know... EpiTwitter is reminding people that while we know that efficacy for you getting sick is high, we still don't know if vaccinated people are unable to infect someone else. The 2nd half of the equation.

So you get exposed, but you are vaccinated, so your body gets to work, and while you are technically infected, you will have no symptoms. The live virus that entered your system, can you spread it before it's eliminated? Is it neutralized? Primate studies so far have said, transmission is still possible. Other non-COVID vaccines, transmission is still possible; there is a track record.

So for @Chi84's question about why they still need to wear a mask... the answer is we don't know yet if you could still be Typhoid Mary, even if you're vaccinated.

Apparently, there are other vaccines still in development that do show prevention of transmission in primate tests. (Novavax and Janssen)
I'm bumping this post of mine from December 2020 back up as an example of what we were talking about back then, since people have apparently forgotten.

Chip Chipperson

Do you suppose I can get a Figment popcorn bucket for each test? That would be MAGICAL!

Well an at-home test kit shouldn't cost more than about $25 unless the seller is price gouging, so you'll need at least 20 test kits to get 1 Figment popcorn bucket. Sounds like a fair trade to me! 4 tests will only get you the opportunity to look at the bucket through a hole in a wall for 3 seconds.

dovetail65

Curative.com, select a site with rapid PCR, and book an appointment. There's one located just off-property in Lake Buena Vista and another a little bit further away in Kissimmee.

Testing is free - either through your medical insurance or paid for by the government if you're uninsured.
Curative is exactly the system(sub contractor) used by my county here in IL. I am already in the system meaning it takes even less time(online anyhow) because all my information is already submitted. It takes about 15 minutes online to upload everything and answer all the questions they ask, but only the first time. The one near me in IL is so clean, fast and organized it's almost amazing how fast they get people in and out. If it's even close to as good as here then FL made a great decision to use them. I am not sure if it's just the online system Curative provides or the workers too, but in either case it's a good step for FL.

lazyboy97o

You have made assumptions of what the polio vaccine must have done based on the outcome of reaching near-eradication. But they are just assumptions.
Over and over again this seems to be a root problem. There has been so much success in medical science, epidemiology and public health that people just take for granted the outcomes and have no connection to how they came about, assuming that those now unnoticed processes are themselves indications of failure. We don’t see breakthrough cases of the measles because we’re not swimming in the measles virus the way we are swimming in SARS-CoV-2.

mmascari

We don’t see breakthrough cases of the measles because we’re not swimming in the measles virus the way we are swimming in SARS-CoV-2.
To admit that the outcome depends on if you're swimming in a pool of constant exposure or not is to admit that it's a group problem that requires a group solution.

Since, if it's only an individual decision to vaccinate or not, the action of vaccination must only have an individual impact.

Hence, if you're adamant that it's only an individual decision with no external impact, it's impossible to see the first.

mmascari

mkt

Premium Member
At least you will get a good price for your home with so many people moving to Florida.
We're renters.

NY/CA/DC remote workers have made Miami as expensive as DC/California/Boston, but without the amenities that make those places worth living in.

Our plan is Orlando for a year or two to be close to family, and once our kid's a little older, either NC or Virginia.

mkt

Premium Member
Curative is exactly the system(sub contractor) used by my county here in IL. I am already in the system meaning it takes even less time(online anyhow) because all my information is already submitted. It takes about 15 minutes online to upload everything and answer all the questions they ask, but only the first time. The one near me in IL is so clean, fast and organized it's almost amazing how fast they get people in and out. If it's even close to as good as here then FL made a great decision to use them. I am not sure if it's just the online system Curative provides or the workers too, but in either case it's a good step for FL.
The ones here are directly through Curative, not as a subcontractor to any government entity.

However you need to re-register for each site. Thankfully the process is quick, and the rapid PCR locations are genuinely fast. Slowest one for me has been 3 hours, with one arriving a little more than 30 minutes later. You just need an appointment.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Actually, that's exactly all the original Polio vaccine did. It did NOT prevent infection from poliovirus.
The CDC website today says the Covid vaccines are effective at preventing infections. This has been said over and over again by leaders (up until now anyways). And we wonder why people may be confused when others are now saying “well the vaccines were never supposed to prevent infection, just prevent severe illness.”

Wendy Pleakley

The CDC website today says the Covid vaccines are effective at preventing infections. This has been said over and over again by leaders (up until now anyways). And we wonder why people may be confused when others are now saying “well the vaccines were never supposed to prevent infection, just prevent severe illness.”

We were told from the beginning that herd immunity was a key element of fighting COVID. The more people are vaccinated the less it spreads. I wonder if this myth of inconsistency comes largely from people listening to too many disparate sources, many of which are flat out wrong and/or pushing an anti-vaxx agenda.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Adding on to the last comment, IgA antibodies also protect the mucous membranes. They act kind of like a trap lined with punjee sticks.

The mRNA vaccines mostly induce the production of the blood-borne antibodies IgG and IgM. These can easily penetrate the interface of the blood vessels and airways in the lung, hence the reason that the vaccines are effective at preventing severe disease. But IgG and IgM can't readily penetrate the much thicker mucous membrane linings of the upper airway, so without a strong IgA antibody response here, a particularly fast replicating virus, like the delta and omicron variants, can gain a foothold before the memory cells can fully mobilize to fight the infection.

This is why I keep mentioning that I hope the nasal vaccine pans out. If it can stimulate the desired IgA response in the mucosa, then this might actually make a huge dent in symptomatic infections, and hence also, greatly reduce transmission.
+50 points for working "punjee sticks" in there.

lazyboy97o

Again, infection is not binary, linear or constant. Those percentages given were odds. Every time one is exposed it is like spinning the giant wheel on The Price is Right to see if it lands on full blown infection.

Let’s say we have a vaccine that is 90% effective and 100 vaccinated people who are all exposed to an infectious viral load. That doesn’t mean 10 people will get sick. Each person is spinning their own wheel that is 90% no infection spaces and 10% infection spaces. It’s possible that nobody gets infect, it’s also possible that everyone gets infected and everything in between is possible with various probabilities.

But let’s say it is uniform and exactly 10 of the 100 people will get infected, it isn’t just one and done. If 15 minutes later the remaining 90 people are infected then that’s still 9 more who are infected. 15 minutes and do it again and it’s 8 more infected. Keeping doing that and eventually you’ll get everyone infected even with 90% efficacy. Decrease that efficacy and it’ll take less turns. Decrease the time between exposures and it’ll happen over a shorter period of time.

DisneyDebRob

There were many discussions about” what the vaccine will do”. You are correct in saying many leaders and some in the actual field leaned towards preventing infections, there were many that weren’t sure and said it probably wouldn’t.
I have a folder of different articles from when COVID first hit through the last month and how things have changed. In everyone, it’s the science, and what we learn everyday that keeps the information changing. That’s a good thing. Here’s one article from back in December of 2020 actually questioning some that said about it not being infectious after we get the vaccine. It’s important to note that this was written before vaccines were widely available. Some of the trials they mentioned that needed to be performed weren’t. So when we say everyone was saying this or that, others weren’t.

Lilofan

Perhaps the report could include the full email that he sent. The use of ellipsis in the first quote clearly shows that they didn't include the entire text.

Until we see the full text of the email, we can't opine on whether or not what he said violated state law.

It should be noted that he wasn't fired. They placed him on administrative leave while investigating.

If all the email did was express frustration and they don't reinstate him then that would be wrong. If there is more to the email or he wrote or said something else which violated the law then termination would be justified.

I can't give an opinion either way due to lack of information but it doesn't stop others from immediately going on the anti-Florida leadership attack.
And is it not odd that the FL state leaders team who suspended OC health director Dr Pino, not even have the courtesy to inform Orange County Mayor Demings ( critical and spoke out against FL state virus response )? I commend Dr Pino for exposing and addressing as a whistleblower .

Chip Chipperson

Yes, effective at preventing infection to a specific percentage that was always stated to be less than 100%. Nobody should think that preventing infection was never a goal or stated benefit, but the ones acting like we were promised 100% guarantees that we wouldn't get sick if vaccinated are rewriting history for the benefit of anti-vaxxers. "If the vaccines work then why are there breakthrough cases?" is literally an anti-vax talking point that intentionally ignores the rest of the stated benefits of getting vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom