Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

If you are depending upon this thread for your Covid information you are clearly looking in the wrong place. ;)
I don't know. I would bet:
70% of COVID information is timely and points at good references.
99% of FL information is helpful for fretting over future WDW trip plans and implications.
25% is just good humor, some of which may be dark humor but is still good.
10% is probably just trash or trolling. Unclear day to day which is more likely trash or troll. 🤔
50% is good shared experience.

All in all, the signal to noise ratio isn't that bad most days. Even when reading stuff before @The Mom cleans up all the posts.

correcaminos

I would rephrase that to be that the study seems to show a fourth dose (second booster) doesn't seem to make a statistically significant difference. The existing currently recommended booster (third dose, second for J&J) does appear to make a statistically significant difference.

That may be what you meant.

I would certainly still recommend everyone get all the currently recommended doses. However, rushing out to personally experiment with extra doses would seem to be unnecessary. Unless someone is up for "doing their own research" the other way, and willing to live with getting extra doses that may do nothing.

Strangely, we heard lots of noise about how they could produce a new vaccine based on the Omicron specifics quickly. But, I haven't seen any reporting about anyone actually doing that or testing that. Which, seems to look like what we'll need unfortunately.
And it they do take the general population to trial a 4th vs studies like this I'll let you all know. 6 months later and nothing though. Though it took until 10 months post 2nd to be called about a 3rd. IIRC from readings on the requirements to join about the omicron (and previously Delta) trials, the participants were from a different pool than the original trials. I know many are studying for immunocompromised and the such too as a whole. Personally I'm good with 75% if it holds.

Heppenheimer

What would have to happen for them to become like flu shots that are able to be updated quickly to try to keep up with strains?
It isn't a comparable situation, unfortunately. The circulating flu viruses have a limited number of known antigens. The difference each year is more equivalent to a new hand of cards after the pack gets reshuffled, rather than a completely new set of cards. Through decades of experience, we know that the vaccine components for each antigen will provoke the desired immune response and they won't pose an unacceptable risk for triggering an unintended autoimmune response. So with the annual flu vaccine, we're really just mixing known ingredients.

This is not the same thing with COVID. With each mutation, we get a completely de novo target antigen, albeit so far, one with sufficient immune overlap with previous strains. So rather than just mix existing vaccine components, we would need to come up with a new vaccine for a new strain, if the old vaccines are no longer effective. The mRNA vaccine technology actually makes this a surprisingly easy process, but because it would produce a unique vaccine that now provokes a new set of antibodies, you still need to perform the proper tests for safety and efficacy. Testing will always be the rate limiting step for new COVID vaccine deployment, unfortunately.

Patcheslee

Yeah we got company emails Friday about this. With the federal contractor mandate still in limbo the company has put a stop to their implementation plans. All employees need to roport vaccination status no due date set, "fully vaccinated" by company standards will include booster. They will use the reporting status to determine where they are if the federal contractor mandate is upheld or the OSHA mandate reinstated.

DisneyCane

Yeah we got company emails Friday about this. With the federal contractor mandate still in limbo the company has put a stop to their implementation plans. All employees need to roport vaccination status no due date set, "fully vaccinated" by company standards will include booster. They will use the reporting status to determine where they are if the federal contractor mandate is upheld or the OSHA mandate reinstated.
While the contractor mandate may be upheld, there is about the same chance of the OSHA mandate being reinstated as the chance that the Yeti will be working by February of this year.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I'm scared of this. Check this news:

Top U.S. health officials are urging caution amid reports of coronavirus cases peaking in some areas and speculation that the omicron variant could end the pandemic.
“It is an open question whether it will be the live virus vaccination that everyone is hoping for,” Anthony S. Fauci, the president’s chief medical adviser, said Monday during a virtual panel at the Davos economic forum.
“I would hope that that’s the case. But that would only be the case if we don’t get another variant that eludes the immune response of the prior variant,” he said. Even then, he added, covid-19 probably would remain as an endemic disease worldwide.
“If you look at the history of infectious diseases, we’ve only eradicated one,” he said. “And that’s smallpox. That’s not going to happen with” the coronavirus.
Surgeon General Vivek H. Murthy expressed a similar note of caution Sunday on CNN, saying that despite apparent omicron peaks in pockets of the Northeast, much of the country isn’t there yet. “The next few weeks will be tough,” he said.
Meanwhile, Pfizer chief executive Albert Bourla predicted that “we will soon be able to resume a normal life” given pandemic mitigation measures including tests and vaccines. But he also said that doesn’t mean an end to the coronavirus.
“We’ve had so many surprises since the start of the pandemic,” he said in an interview with the French newspaper Le Figaro, published Sunday. “We will probably have to live for years with a virus that’s very difficult to eradicate.”

Patcheslee

While the contractor mandate may be upheld, there is about the same chance of the OSHA mandate being reinstated as the chance that the Yeti will be working by February of this year.
Yeah, my specific plant is considered being under the federal contractor mandate, while others were the OSHA mandate. We also have a union that covers 4 factories, so maybe they are looking to transfer people between plants if needed to avoid losing employees. Office employees are a separate union altogether.

mmascari

Neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron by BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine–elicited human sera

Time to stop reading the "Fully Vaccinated" percentage. It's the "Boosted" percentage or bust now.

From "% of Total Population" "Fully Vaccinated" at 84.9% down to "% of Fully Vaccinated Population with a Booster Dose" 45.8% for my previously highly vaccinated county. Gotta get those boosters.

Some of this is the under 12 that aren't eligible for 5 month boosters yet (it hasn't been 5 months since they got shots). Although the paper seem to say (to me) that 5 months leaves quite a gap in good protection. Lots of it is the rest of us. Please get your boosters people.

mmascari

Orders for four free tests went live a day early.
Thanks.

Interesting, they set up a new site to order the tests and all it does is redirect you to the USPS site to actually place the order. I suppose that's probably a good thing. The USPS already knew how to sell stuff online and had an existing ecommerce web site.

Took about 60 seconds to place an order for those wondering. The confirmation message says USPS is validating that only 1 order of 4 tests is delivered to an address.

ArmoredRodent

If you are depending upon this thread [as the sole source] for your Covid information you are clearly looking in the wrong place. ;)
FTFY. Even then, some of the info here is better than most other sources, particularly the "boots-on-the-ground" stuff. And, of course, the WDW info.

And an update:
3yo GS still doing fine in his vaccine trial, which should be coming to an end shortly. No side effects, no infections though COVID detected three times in his Montessori school. Although he has learned a new phrase: "blood draw." :(

Trauma

Question for those who know.

My 15 year old daughter had both shots and recently had Omicron.

Do I have to wait to take her to get boosted?

correcaminos

Question for those who know.

My 15 year old daughter had both shots and recently had Omicron.

Do I have to wait to take her to get boosted?
They suggest waiting 30-90 days on last read to lesses chaces of bad side effects. Came from Fauci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom