Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

I was supposing that one was in the kitchen and the other walked in. In the isolation scenario that was given, one of them would have to leave if not wearing a mask. I personally would just sleep in separate rooms, and spend as little time as possible with the other person, but would not wear a mask.
Ah, OK. Yes, in that scenario, I too would see the need for masks. But, like you, I wouldn't wear a mask if in a separate room.

dovetail65

I don't understand. If they're in separate rooms, with doors closed and on different floors to boot, why would masks be necessary if one of them happens to be eating (or talking, or singing, etc.)? Is there any evidence that the virus can be spread with so many physical barriers between the occupants of a shared building?
Well yeah Covid can go through HVAC air systems and many studies show that different contaminates can travel through HVAC, remember legionnaire disease(it is spread to humans through inhalation of moist air that's contaminated. This means that a large number of people who use a building with a contaminated HVAC system can quickly contract Legionnaires' Disease)

In a single family home with 2 people there most likely is not enough viral load for Covid or anything else really to saturate the HVAC system and travel room to room like it certainly could in a commercial setting like a restaurant where the air returns to the same room over and over again with hundreds or even thousand of people. Plus, the air returns in most homes are not nearly as powerful as in a commercial setting. Still could happen in a home I am sure, but for us our family stayed safe not worrying about it. People can get better filter system for their homes I guess.

correcaminos

I'm scared of this.
The surge is going for some and receding for others. Nothing unpredicted either way. I was hoping we peaked where I live but last few days has shown otherwise. The end result is lesser rate of increase though. We'll get there.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think the difference right now with Omicron and the US, is that previous infection doesn't seem to really matter, you can still get Omicron.

You can still get reinfected but studies have shown it to be far less serious the second time around.

“When people got reinfected with Covid-19, their odds of ending up in the hospital or dying were 90% lower than an initial Covid-19 infection”

This is in line with how our immune system has responded to previous diseases as well. Neither vaccine based immunity or natural immunity mean you’ll never get it, it just means your body has a blueprint how to fight it so your odds of a serious case go way down.

lazyboy97o

Another quote from The Great Influenza:

“Even if Lewis succeeded in making a vaccine, it would take weeks to produce in sufficient quantities. Thus, only drastic action could prevent the spread of influenza throughout the city. Banning public meetings, closing businesses and schools, imposing an absolute quarantine on the Navy Yard and on civilian cases—all these things made sense. A recent precedent existed. Only three years earlier Krusen’s predecessor—during the single term of a reform mayor—had imposed and enforced a strict quarantine when a polio epidemic had erupted, a disease Lewis knew more about than anyone in the world. Lewis certainly wanted a quarantine.

But Plummer was Lewis’s commanding officer. He and Kristen wanted to wait. Both feared that taking any such steps might cause panic and interfere with the war effort. Keeping the public calm was their goal. Those polio restrictions had been imposed when the country wasn’t fighting a war.”

History really does seem to repeat itself sometimes.

JoeCamel

You can still get reinfected but studies have shown it to be far less serious the second time around.

“When people got reinfected with Covid-19, their odds of ending up in the hospital or dying were 90% lower than an initial Covid-19 infection”

This is in line with how our immune system has responded to previous diseases as well. Neither vaccine based immunity or natural immunity mean you’ll never get it, it just means your body has a blueprint how to fight it so your odds of a serious case go way down.

It is also very much in line with the protection afforded by the vaccines. No matter the route of the immune system activation the antibody response is the same. How long it protects and how well against reinfection is poorly understood for now, we do know that some people that had covid before will catch it again and some people that are "fully vaccinated" will be infected.
Either way we need to treat the same by doing what we can to keep from being infected. If you tempt fate (distwitter the last week or two) you just may find your vaccination didn't protect you from testing positive.
Hopefully either route of immunity would help to minimize the effects of the infection while your immune system fights it off but even then some small fraction will end up needing care in a hospital setting and a few will go on to die from it. Often the immunovunerable (I made that up) will be the ones to die but not always. Seemingly young, healthy adults will succumb in a matter of days and there are pediatric cases that do as well.

In my area the local hospital system posts numbers daily of the makeup of their covid inpatients, the chart I posted before came from them showing 290 in their system on 1/12. Here we are 5 days later and there are 355 inpatients. The number of PedICU patients doubled to 10 in five days......

lazyboy97o

Hopefully either route of immunity would help to minimize the effects of the infection while your immune system fights it off but even then some small fraction will end up needing care in a hospital setting and a few will go on to die from it.
While the immediate response may be similar, we still don’t know what long term issues may arise from “natural” immunity.

RoadiJeff

Serious question just in case I'm ever in the same situation: If you're on different floors with closed doors between you, why would you need to wear masks?
It's an open floor plan, no closed doors between us. I can look over the loft railing and wave to her but we try to maintain our distance. It's been 5 days since she tested positive and I do not have any of her symptoms so I think I'll be OK. Until she takes another test and it comes back negative I'm still going to be extra cautious.

Right now, I'm the only one who can go out and buy food, medicine and anything else we need. If I came down with COVID at the same time we'd be in trouble.

LittleBuford

It's an open floor plan, no closed doors between us. I can look over the loft railing and wave to her but we try to maintain our distance. It's been 5 days since she tested positive and I do not have any of her symptoms so I think I'll be OK. Until she takes another test and it comes back negative I'm still going to be extra cautious.

Right now, I'm the only one who can go out and buy food, medicine and anything else we need. If I came down with COVID at the same time we'd be in trouble.
Thanks for explaining—that makes sense! I hope that she recovers soon and that you do indeed manage to avoid catching it.

BrianLo

So, among the anti-vaxxers, Australia is the new Israel Canada.

Just in time! Canada case rates were significantly lower than the US this wave after all.

*NWT has a population of 44000 before anyone notices its aberrant data.
**BC has made many sacrifices to the gods of rain and fire this year.

Wendy Pleakley

Just in time! Canada case rates were significantly lower than the US this wave after all.

*NWT has a population of 44000 before anyone notices its aberrant data.
**BC has made many sacrifices to the gods of rain and fire this year.

To be fair BC isn’t testing the majority of people, only those who are high risk.

GuyFawkes

In a single family home with 2 people there most likely is not enough viral load for Covid or anything else really to saturate the HVAC system and travel room to room like it certainly could in a commercial setting like a restaurant where the air returns to the same room over and over again with hundreds or even thousand of people. Plus, the air returns in most homes are not nearly as powerful as in a commercial setting. Still could happen in a home I am sure, but for us our family stayed safe not worrying about it. People can get better filter system for their homes I guess.

Interesting that a person on a Disney forum thinks a household is 2 people? I guess Disney is no longer for people with children? You live a different life than I do.

Lilofan

Interesting that a person on a Disney forum thinks a household is 2 people? I guess Disney is no longer for people with children? You live a different life than I do.
He's using 2 that live in a single family home as one example. There are several just in my street alone.

dovetail65

Interesting that a person on a Disney forum thinks a household is 2 people? I guess Disney is no longer for people with children? You live a different life than I do.n 90
Not sure if this was for me most know I have kids and it has been established long ago this forum is full of people with no kids or empty nesters. I was responding to an initial post from a husband. He stated he was staying in a different room or even floor than his wife and would not get Covid from his wife, he never mentioned where the kids were so I assumed only 2 people.

Of course I have 6 kids, 7 if we count the adult daughter that came back into our lives with 5 grand kids finding me on FB. I was a stay at home dad4 were home all day with me amd I worked in my workshop at night, when they were all finally in school in 2002 we had twins when my wife was 40. I have had kids since 1984 when I was the youngest parent at the schools and now my twins deal with us being the oldest parents at the schools. So yeah we have a different life probably as busy or more so than any family could be. I used to laugh when people would say I am so tired having 2 or 3 kids, that's fun stuff.

Try paying for a party of 8 for 20 days onsite at WDW and let me know how that bill looks at the end, outrageous comes to mind. It was out roller coaster life and what a great strange life. Now only two more kids to complete college and we aren't waiting until they graduate, on Jan 1 2023 we move into our FL home right near WDW full time for retirement, what a ride of a life.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Not sure if anyone saw this:

It was based on a fairly small sample of health care professionals (meaning, people with a much higher baseline level of exposure). If this result can be generalized to a larger population, then a 4th dose may not be recommended. Or, we may need a reformulation of the existing vaccines. Personally, I think the key will be the nasal vaccine, if it pans out (no guarantees there), because if it can stimulate a strong immune response in the mucosa, then we can block even the extremely fast-replicating omicron variant from taking hold.

I also can't find any information if they looked at hospitalization rates and deaths with the 4th dose, but the study was likely too small to show statistical significance for these metrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom