Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina_yankee

Anecdotal, non-peer-reviewed from my primary doc's assessment of his patents (and his own experience): Getting a Moderna vaccine is like getting hit by a Mac truck. But the stats show it's worth it!

#1 was no problem. #2 had both my husband and I out a day. #3 Had me out two days, and my husband out four. The pets were happy with the presence.

carolina_yankee

Something I learned yesterday planning a trip to France - you can purchase an at-home antigen test that can be proctored virtually and counts for US entry. Only available to US addresses and must be purchased before leaving the country. Download an app and take 15-30 minutes to do the virtual test and get certified results. The only issues is making sure you have some time on your last day of travel as well as a WIFI connection.

It's the same Abbot test as Binax-Now but it has to be specifically purchased for "at-home" rather than "self-testing." Here's a link.

Delta, United, and American also partner with them, but seem to have higher prices per test (but the ability to buy fewer tests). Currently, tests expire in late winter or early spring, but I'm sure the authorizations will be extended (or the ability to buy new tests).

I agree 24 hours is a very tight turnaround, but it is possible. France appears to have 48 hours (from time of flight), so now it's a waiting game to see if this at-home version will work for the French as it does for the US.

For anyone originating outside of the US, check with your airlines - they will likely have testing information and links to where to get tested that satisfies the requirements.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, there are.
There's a Doctor that I watch on YouTube, Dr. John Cambell out of the UK.
The essence of his channel is mostly the reading of studies, and explaining how they were done and what the results were, and if they are of merit.
He's a very measured, and non sensationalistic man, and it's a very good channel.
He read a study where vitamin D showed good results.
Here's a similar channel that doesn't take just one study to heart. When there are a lot of studies and someone picks just one and ignores the rest... that could be a sign of cherry-picking the result one wants...

DisneyDebRob

Ugly isn’t it?
FBAF6575-B1B6-4FCD-ACB6-B5C180719D1E.jpeg

Nubs70

Something I learned yesterday planning a trip to France - you can purchase an at-home antigen test that can be proctored virtually and counts for US entry. Only available to US addresses and must be purchased before leaving the country. Download an app and take 15-30 minutes to do the virtual test and get certified results. The only issues is making sure you have some time on your last day of travel as well as a WIFI connection.

It's the same Abbot test as Binax-Now but it has to be specifically purchased for "at-home" rather than "self-testing." Here's a link.

Delta, United, and American also partner with them, but seem to have higher prices per test (but the ability to buy fewer tests). Currently, tests expire in late winter or early spring, but I'm sure the authorizations will be extended (or the ability to buy new tests).

I agree 24 hours is a very tight turnaround, but it is possible. France appears to have 48 hours (from time of flight), so now it's a waiting game to see if this at-home version will work for the French as it does for the US.

For anyone originating outside of the US, check with your airlines - they will likely have testing information and links to where to get tested that satisfies the requirements.
My all inclusive in Akumal did on site tests, albeit within the 72 hour window prior to departure. Results back within 30 minutes.

An all inclusive that it set up for existing testing should not be a problem.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Vitamin D is supposed to be helpful. I've been taking it for years and have not had a cold since I started taking it.

As is zinc, but bottom line, Emergen-C was successfully sued for false claims and had to revise their packaging.

Endpoint: They overpromised what their powder could do.

Take whatever vitamins you want, but don't think any of them are a silver bullet.

Incomudro

A significant basis of health problems in the US (and much of the developed world) today isn't malnutrition, it's the consequences of over-nutrition. True dietary deficiencies, with the exception of some diseases or treatments that cause that malabsorption, are so rare in the US that the only time I've seen cases in my career was on deployment to Afghanistan.

Our problem is that we consume too much, not because we lack some vital ingredients in our diets.
We consume too much much of the wrong things.
We're over nourished calorically.
I would almost guarantee you that if you analysed the intake of the average American over a 24 hour period, they are not even getting the RDA of key nutrients.
Probably too much of some, and almost none of others.
Most are certainly low in phytochemicals.

Incomudro

I’ve had 3 Moderna shots, and only had injection site pain with all 3. I’m beginning to feel left out. :)
Just got my Moderna booster yesterday, and I've been dragging all day.
I woke up my regular time, had breakfast - and got out and dropped a gift off for my wife at the yoga studio she goes to.
When I got home, I needed to take a nap.
The soreness in my arm was the strongest I've ever had from a shot.

JoeCamel

Just got my Moderna booster yesterday, and I've been dragging all day.
I woke up my regular time, had breakfast - and got out and dropped a gift off for my wife at the yoga studio she goes to.
When I got home, I needed to take a nap.
The soreness in my arm was the strongest I've ever had from a shot.
Sounds like it is working

Heppenheimer

We consume too much much of the wrong things.
We're over nourished calorically.
I would almost guarantee you that if you analysed the intake of the average American over a 24 hour period, they are not even getting the RDA of key nutrients.
Probably too much of some, and almost none of others.
Most are certainly low in phytochemicals.
Deficits in vitamins, certain amino acids and other nutrients cause well-established and specific clinical syndromes. These were/are common in pre-industrial societies where most people only had/have access to specific foods at different times of the year, or not at all. If you're not deficient in those nutrients, you don't develop the related syndromes. With some exceptions related to other medical conditions, we simply don't see those syndromes today in the developed world.

Disney Experience

A significant basis of health problems in the US (and much of the developed world) today isn't malnutrition, it's the consequences of over-nutrition. True dietary deficiencies, with the exception of some diseases or treatments that cause that malabsorption, are so rare in the US that the only time I've seen cases in my career was on deployment to Afghanistan.

Our problem is that we consume too much, not because we lack some vital ingredients in our diets.
There is an interesting set of books on modern food, taste, nutrition, omnivore physiology, and the various research into a very complicated system called the human body. Written for the layman, but really good data ( my relative who is a neurologist ( and owns a firm with physcians ) bought the first audiobook on audible the minute I gave him a few outtakes from it.

The first ( Well he does have an earlier book, but never read so cannot comment on it) book/audiobook:

The second:

The second book at one point pulls in university research on fattening pigs through a cocktail of B vitamins; the enrichment of flour in this country (but not in italy), and the effect of B vitamins on weight gain in humans. As well as the confounding of omnivore physiology with modern changes in food. Vitamins are chemicals that are needed and can be obtained various ways, but as with all things there can be too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom