Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
what is the goal? That the problem. COVID is never going away.

Nobody in the US died from COVID in 2019. In 2020, 352,000 people died, and we have already exceeded that number in 2021. Covid is now the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer. It kills more people in the US then any other infectious disease by a big margin. Nobody should just give up and say this is something we have to live with. Yes, it will never go away completely, but that doesn't mean we should just accept the current level of deaths.

Lilofan

By starting the process of adding to Healthcare facilities. Increasing available seats in nursing programs. I hope you do realize that there is a severe shortage of available seats in nursing schools. By which, to be accepted Into nursing school, one needs to have a better GPA than one needs to get into med school.
If immigration items are addressed and improved, there could be more immigrant RNs to fill needed positions in the USA. There are and have been recruiting companies from our country based in other countries to recruit foreign RNs to fill positions in a number of our country hospitals other medical facilities. With Omicron in the air presents challenges in this, too.

Nubs70

Covid protocols are also creating shortages in nurse staffing. DW came down with what was turned out to be a seasonal cold. However, due to protocol, she has to call off and get a Covid test. 1 day to get tested/1 day to get result. Contracting a cold reduces available working hours by 40%

Last edited:

Nubs70

Nobody in the US died from COVID in 2019. In 2020, 352,000 people died, and we have already exceeded that number in 2021. Covid is now the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer. It kills more people in the US then any other infectious disease by a big margin. Nobody should just give up and say this is something we have to live with. Yes, it will never go away completely, but that doesn't mean we should just accept the current level of deaths.
Need to start building dedicated Covid centers.

DisneyCane

If immigration items are addressed and improved, there could be more immigrant RNs to fill needed positions in the USA. There are and have been recruiting companies from our country based in other countries to recruit foreign RNs to fill positions in a number of our country hospitals other medical facilities. With Omicron in the air presents challenges in this, too.
Aren't those RNs needed in their home county as well?

Heppenheimer

Aren't those RNs needed in their home county as well?
We have a long history of plucking qualified medical personnel from their home countries to fill unmet needs here. See, for example, all the practicing physicians in the US who were trained (at least partially) in India and Pakistan. I daresay they are needed far more in their home countries. It isn't exactly fair, but we in the US do benefit quite a bit, albeit at the expense of people in south Asia.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

Florida hospitalization has remain flat this week, hovering still at 2.31% (Which is the same as it was last Friday) Cases reporting last week were impacted by the holiday, but went lower, but some catch up will likely happen in this week's report, so it'll probably be a little higher again.

On the projection model I've been watching closely vs real numbers (https://epi.ufl.edu/covid-19-resour...year-projections-for-covid-19-in-florida.html) a small spike is expected over the next week or two before it falls again. Too early to say if Omicron affects anything. Although the reports of cases with no (Asymptomatic) to mild symptoms are continuing. (Mild since its been no to little oxygen saturation loss and no loss of taste and smell. The o2 saturation is big because it implies its not as dangerous for long term issues) Johannesburg in SA (https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-reports/) has had a rise in hospitalization (Delta is still there too), but not a huge one compared to other waves before it, but symptoms have been generally milder even so.

Areas in the northeast and great lakes are still continuing a rise in hospitalizaiton and cases. Vermont's new daily cases adjusted for popluation would be equivalent to a 22k day in Florida.

dreday3

So now we need to conjure up not just doctors and nurses but architects, engineers and contractors qualified to build such facilities. So the timeline on that is what?

Well, it's not exactly as stupid as you make it sound.

A lot to work on- all the problems with retaining and recruiting healthcare providers as mentioned in prior posts. But also yes, now that we can "see the future" of pandemics yet to come, part of what we (the world) should start planning is more room for sick patients. We know it's going to happen again and why not start preparing for it now?

I don't just mean go out and start building hospitals, but yes, talks/task forces/whatever should be starting about how to handle a large influx of patients in the future. How can they retain/recruit healthcare workers. Obviously we have an issue with capacity, just ignore it?

Some hospital systems have already started contingency planning. Working on refurbishing (refitting?) entire hospitals to be able to switch and house only infectious disease patients if/when another pandemic comes.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Well, it's not exactly as stupid as you make it sound.

A lot to work on- all the problems with retaining and recruiting healthcare providers as mentioned in prior posts. But also yes, now that we can "see the future" of pandemics yet to come, part of what we (the world) should start planning is more room for sick patients. We know it's going to happen again and why not start preparing for it now?

I don't just mean go out and start building hospitals, but yes, talks/task forces/whatever should be starting about how to handle a large influx of patients in the future. How can they retain/recruit healthcare workers. Obviously we have an issue with capacity, just ignore it?
There’s nothing wrong with preparing for the future but it 1) does nothing for the problem that exists now and 2) such preparations have to be maintained. The US had pandemic plans and they were allowed to languish and be ignored. A big part of any plan is going to be avoiding that big influx of patients in the first place, something many don’t want to hear or do.

dreday3

There’s nothing wrong with preparing for the future but it 1) does nothing for the problem that exists now and 2) such preparations have to be maintained. The US had pandemic plans and they were allowed to languish and be ignored.

My hope is that the hospital systems themselves start preparing, as in the example I gave. It may come down to that rather than waiting on individual states governments to do it. Another one of our hospitals had already built a tower made especially for infectious disease. (can be used during "normal times" too).

Yes, it won't help now. But for the future.

lazyboy97o

My hope is that the hospital systems themselves start preparing, as in the example I gave. It may come down to that rather than waiting on individual states governments to do it. Another one of our hospitals had already built a tower made especially for infectious disease. (can be used during "normal times" too).

Yes, it won't help now. But for the future.
Who is going to pay for hospitals to just maintain reserve facilities and staff? But even then, the best thing is going to be keeping people from getting sick in the first place. You don’t know how long people will be sick. You don’t know the sort of complications that will result. As of right now it seems almost certain that people who “survived” will have issues for some time into the future all adding to the need for more capacity.

Heppenheimer

Who is going to pay for hospitals to just maintain reserve facilities and staff? But even then, the best thing is going to be keeping people from getting sick in the first place. You don’t know how long people will be sick. You don’t know the sort of complications that will result. As of right now it seems almost certain that people who “survived” will have issues for some time into the future all adding to the need for more capacity.
I don't think we have any option but to build expensive infrastructure, and suddenly train far more staff than we've ever managed to do in the past. I mean, it's not like we have a cheap and widely available preventative measure available. Oh, wait...

dreday3

Okay, then let's just worry about now and not later.
Man, you have your foot set on one side and can't possibly even look out to the future can you. How can you argue the need to be better prepared for future pandemics?

This is an example of preparing for future infectious disease outbreaks.

Another article discussing more out of the box ways to prepare, not just building a new hospital:

And another one:

Last edited:

dreday3

I don't think we have any option but to build expensive infrastructure, and suddenly train far more staff than we've ever managed to do in the past. I mean, it's not like we have a cheap and widely available preventative measure available. Oh, wait...

Oh, I'm already vaccinated and boosted, thanks. But I can also think we need to start thinking of ways to handle future pandemics, not just what's happening now. And yes, it's starts with discussion. Planning, for every roadblock.
But yes, let's just stay stagnant, not even bother to start planning ahead. Let's wait for another virus and have the same issues.

This is what is wrong with the country. Everyone has to be on one side or the other. No one can ever try to have a rational discussion.

We will never move forward. Never.

Last edited:

Lilofan

We have a long history of plucking qualified medical personnel from their home countries to fill unmet needs here. See, for example, all the practicing physicians in the US who were trained (at least partially) in India and Pakistan. I daresay they are needed far more in their home countries. It isn't exactly fair, but we in the US do benefit quite a bit, albeit at the expense of people in south Asia.
Follow the money... And much more of it when earning and living in USA.

Heppenheimer

Whatever. Just dismiss ideas of working towards the future with funny little quips made to feel posters feel stupid. Good job.

Oh, I'm already vaccinated and boosted, thanks. But I can also think we need to start thinking of ways to handle future pandemics, not just what's happening now.
We had an entire Office of Pandemic Response and a detailed plan of surveillance and action to deal with emerging pandemics. Swift action with international cooperation largely kept MERS from becoming a pandemic.

But because politics aren't allowed, I won't get into what actually happened with COVID. And who knows if we would have been able to nip this thing in the bud had we followed the recommended procedures anyway? I can't say I do, but our ability to respond was knee-capped from the get-go.

dreday3

We had an entire Office of Pandemic Response and a detailed plan of surveillance and action to deal with emerging pandemics. Swift action with international cooperation largely kept MERS from becoming a pandemic.

But because politics aren't allowed, I won't get into what actually happened with COVID. And who knows if we would have been able to nip this thing in the bud had we followed the recommended procedures anyway? I can't say I do, but our ability to respond was knee-capped from the get-go.

Yeah your previous remark pretty much shot me down about having a discussion of possibilities of how we can prepare for future.

I get it.

The Mom

Premium Member
Do you have some sort of plan to ramp up graduates? Because that’s part of the problem with RNs… the educational opportunity.

“ According to AACN’s report on 2019-2020 Enrollment and Graduations in Baccalaureate and Graduate Programs in Nursing, U.S. nursing schools turned away 80,407 qualified applicants from baccalaureate and graduate nursing programs in 2019 due to insufficient number of faculty, clinical sites, classroom space, and clinical preceptors, as well as budget constraints. Almost two-thirds of the nursing schools responding to the survey pointed to a shortage of faculty and/or clinical preceptors as a reason for not accepting all qualified applicants into their programs.”

In order to ramp up healthcare, we’re gonna need to ramp up higher education first. And that takes time, money and resources. I don’t have a problem with that, but I don’t have confidence in the rest of America. And it won’t happen overnight.
The last time there was a nursing shortage, the ADRN was instituted (2 year associate degree, with no Pediatric & ER rotations)

Once upon a time, the majority of nurses were trained through hospital programs, rotating to all services (and to other hospitals) for 3 years, no breaks. They were learned how to be in charge of a unit by their Senior year, and were a source of extra staff during shortages because they lived at the hospital. Prior to the early 1970s they were not allowed to marry - I went to a wedding every weekend one June before the ban was lifted.

Many went on to earn BS and higher, and became instructors in nursing programs because of their increased knowledge of treating patients and managing staffing. Most are older than I and have retired.

Many young women who would have entered nursing and eventually become faculty at nursing schools have chosen to go to medical school instead, or become Nurse Practitioners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom