Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Yes (mostly) and no (sort of, with lots of nuance).

In this specific case, Yes I would like them to get some more data first. But, no, I don't want them to wait forever. At some point, they need to give some opinions based on what's known so far. And those will change as what's known so far changes. Cannot wait until we know everything, need to make some educated guesses as we go. But, also shouldn't be making those when we don't even know enough to start.

Today, for Omnicron, I get that we're early enough that there isn't really a "known so far" as even a little seed to base stuff on. Which actually brings up a better question. Why don't know already know how Omnicron is spreading in the US? It's certainly here and spreading already. Anyone who thinks we've managed to keep Omnicron out and that it's not here yet, I've got a bridge you may be interested in, cheap.

Or, perhaps a sure ROTR boarding group strategy. See, first you get to the park at soft open, then you hover your finger over the button at exactly real open, make sure you're already past the tap points and inside the park. Then you remember that plan is 2 years old and you've already missed your chance to ride ROTR because "known so far" has completely changed. :p
Another example. In medicine, we often need to make initial treatments choices before we have all of our necessary clinical data. As this comes in, you fine-tune the plan, or in some cases, you make a complete 180 degree turn in treatment strategy when the initial suspicion ends of up being wrong. You don't just observe the patient and possibly let them crash while waiting for result of every test. For example, most patient's will receive initial empiric treatment for pneumonia based on what antibiotics will likely work, not based on precise culture results that demonstrate the exact infecting organism and its antibiotic sensitivities. In most cases, this information will never be known, but the "good enough" treatment will work nonetheless.

We can extrapolate this idea to public health. Right now, I don't think we need to rush into doing anything different until we either know more about omicron or have evidence that out existing strategies for dealing with COVID will be inadequate for this variant (but I do think we should be doing more against delta anyway, but that's a different debate...) However, we should take the necessary "do no harm" precautions, like at least doing the preliminary work on reconfiguring the mRNA vaccines, in case this ends up being needed.

DisneyDebRob

Another example. In medicine, we often need to make initial treatments choices before we have all of our necessary clinical data. As this comes in, you fine-tune the plan, or in some cases, you make a complete 180 degree turn in treatment strategy when the initial suspicion ends of up being wrong. You don't just observe the patient and possibly let them crash while waiting for result of every test. For example, most patient's will receive initial empiric treatment for pneumonia based on what antibiotics will likely work, not based on precise culture results that demonstrate the exact infecting organism and its antibiotic sensitivities. In most cases, this information will never be known, but the "good enough" treatment will work nonetheless.

We can extrapolate this idea to public health. Right now, I don't think we need to rush into doing anything different until we either know more about omicron or have evidence that out existing strategies for dealing with COVID will be inadequate for this variant (but I do think we should be doing more against delta anyway, but that's a different debate...) However, we should take the necessary "do no harm" precautions, like at least doing the preliminary work on reconfiguring the mRNA vaccines, in case this ends up being needed.
Exactly right. We need opinions from the experts before all data is in to make the best and safest decisions before the “oops “ moment of we should have done something. If we all waited for all the data we will be waiting another 5 years. Also, why need experts then, just publish the findings on Facebook and everyone will know, no need for the middle man.( The Facebook comment was a joke, referring to the people that get their news on that platform). Ok, bad joke at that.

Vegas Disney Fan

Eh, people receiving the same brand booster don't have to hang around the 15 minutes afterwards. There is limited waiting areas where available. i.e. go stand in this corner for 15 minutes. The local hospital is vaccinating 5-11yos only.

Just got my booster this morning at Walgreens, after my shot she handed me my updated card and said I was good to go. I asked if I needed to wait 15 minutes and she said since I didn’t have a reaction to the first 2 shots it wasn’t necessary. I walked next door and grabbed a Starbucks so I’d be in public just in case.

Fingers crossed I just have a sore arm like my first shot and not the week of exhaustion that followed my second.

Heppenheimer

Lockdowns should never be on the table ever again. They don’t work and actually make the fight against COVID more difficult because you remove natural immunity from the equation.
No authoritative source in the US is calling for lockdowns, nor has anyone in over a year. Why are people still acting like any suggestion on mitigation strategies equals lockdowns and nothing else?

"Natural immunity" is not a viable strategy either because relying on it means the virus is still spreading exponentially, filling up hospitals, killing people, and giving SARS-Cov-2 more and more chances to mutate.

Lilofan

Whatever he said at least the stock market seemed to like it. Much better than Friday for my portfolio!
We need more optimism than pessimism in order to drive the market bulls to keep running . Lockdowns is actually the stock market kryptonite but some investors with cash that bought at market lows in summer of 2020 and reaping net worth rewards a plenty a year later.

Lilofan

Anyone who is passing out is doing so from the needle or act of injection, not from anything particular in the COVID vaccines. The thing that they're monitoring for is severe allergic reaction.
Seems odd that some posters say that per the pharmacist they didn't have to stay. I'm glad our pharmacist made us stay for 15 min sitting in the seats next to the pharmacist station in case of allergic reaction.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Seems odd that some posters say that per the pharmacist they didn't have to stay. I'm glad our pharmacist made us stay for 15 min sitting in the seats next to the pharmacist station in case of allergic reaction.
They didn't have to stay *for the second dose and/or the booster*. The first dose, second dose, and third dose are exactly the same stuff. Having an allergic reaction after your second dose when you didn't have one after your first dose isn't a thing. It's not possible. The (correct) assumption is that if you were fine after your first, you'll be fine after your second.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Just got my booster this morning at Walgreens, after my shot she handed me my updated card and said I was good to go. I asked if I needed to wait 15 minutes and she said since I didn’t have a reaction to the first 2 shots it wasn’t necessary. I walked next door and grabbed a Starbucks so I’d be in public just in case.

Fingers crossed I just have a sore arm like my first shot and not the week of exhaustion that followed my second.
DW and I get our boosters on Friday. 8 year old gets her second dose this evening...that's that... 🤷‍♂️

Vegas Disney Fan

DW and I get our boosters on Friday. 8 year old gets her second dose this evening...that's that... 🤷‍♂️
That’s how I feel also, I’ve done what I can do. I “bought” myself another six months of relatively stress free freedom, hopefully in 6 months Covid will be under control, if not I’ll have to make another booster decision… but for now I’ve done what I can, that’s that.

Tom P.

That’s how I feel also, I’ve done what I can do. I “bought” myself another six months of relatively stress free freedom, hopefully in 6 months Covid will be under control, if not I’ll have to make another booster decision… but for now I’ve done what I can, that’s that.
That's not necessarily true, though. We don't know that the effectiveness of the boosters will wane as the initial doses have. There are other cases where vaccines have needed a single booster and after that confer long-term protection. That may be the case here. No one has yet determined that repeated boosters will be necessary. Hopefully, they won't.

Lilofan

They didn't have to stay *for the second dose and/or the booster*. The first dose, second dose, and third dose are exactly the same stuff. Having an allergic reaction after your second dose when you didn't have one after your first dose isn't a thing. It's not possible. The (correct) assumption is that if you were fine after your first, you'll be fine after your second.
I still complied w/ my pharmacist instructions and after the 15 min egg timer went off she then gave me my completed CDC card and I went on my way.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

That's not necessarily true, though. We don't know that the effectiveness of the boosters will wane as the initial doses have. There are other cases where vaccines have needed a single booster and after that confer long-term protection. That may be the case here. No one has yet determined that repeated boosters will be necessary. Hopefully, they won't.
I hope you are right, I’d love for this to be my final dose and be personally done with Covid.

Worst case scenario I’m good for another 6 months though, I can live with that.

Crunchie9

First dose kicked my . Second dose didn’t have any effect on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom