Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

A study in the New England Journal of Medicine on the risk for re-infection. There is more than one way to fight covid.
Do we just not read this part?

"Accordingly, for a person who has already had a primary infection, the risk of having a severe reinfection is only approximately 1% of the risk of a previously uninfected person having a severe primary infection. It needs to be determined whether such protection against severe disease at reinfection lasts for a longer period, analogous to the immunity that develops against other seasonal “common-cold” coronaviruses,4 which elicit short-term immunity against mild reinfection but longer-term immunity against more severe illness with reinfection. If this were the case with SARS-CoV-2, the virus (or at least the variants studied to date) could adopt a more benign pattern of infection when it becomes endemic."

Vegas Disney Fan

"Accordingly, for a person who has already had a primary infection, the risk of having a severe reinfection is only approximately 1% of the risk of a previously uninfected person having a severe primary infection. It needs to be determined whether such protection against severe disease at reinfection lasts for a longer period, analogous to the immunity that develops against other seasonal “common-cold” coronaviruses,4 which elicit short-term immunity against mild reinfection but longer-term immunity against more severe illness with reinfection. If this were the case with SARS-CoV-2, the virus (or at least the variants studied to date) could adopt a more benign pattern of infection when it becomes endemic."

Until we know otherwise there’s no reason not to be optimistic and hope it’ll be like other natural immunity that provides long term protection… I’m still getting my booster Monday though. It would be nice if a mild breakthrough case could result in long term natural protection without the more serious risk of death from an unvaccinated infection.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

lazyboy97o

Until we know otherwise there’s no reason not to be optimistic and hope it’ll be like other natural immunity that provides long term protection… I’m still getting my booster Monday though. It would be nice if a mild breakthrough case could result in long term natural protection without the more serious risk of death from an unvaccinated infection.

No, you don’t just hope it all works out, especially when you have a safe and effective alternative.

JoeCamel

Leaves the problem of mutation wide open if you try that route - as we are seeing play out today

Joesixtoe

Correct we don't know until time provides those answers. We do know that vaccines need boosters. Also as in the paragraph you cited, I believe it states other coronaviruses had long term immunity against severe illnesses. So hope and an end to this should be what we strive for.

Nubs70

Correct we don't know until time provides those answers. We do know that vaccines need boosters. Also as in the paragraph you cited, I believe it states other coronaviruses had long term immunity against severe illnesses. So hope and an end to this should be what we strive for.
Mass vaccinating the natural immunized will destroy the potential of an RCT to determine the truth at a Faucian level.

Joesixtoe

Leaves the problem of mutation wide open if you try that route - as we are seeing play out today
I'm willing to bet that in the end that statement turns out incorrect. I'm just trying to offer caution to demonizing people who defeat this another way. But we can agree to disagree.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If the new variant is mild but can out compete delta, we can just allow is to burn through the worlds population and we would be set. :)

Joesixtoe

You don't "defeat" a virus by catching and spreading it. At best, that's the least efficient way to do it when there's a vaccine available.
Ok the individuals decision on how to combat the virus? Handle the virus? Protect oneself from the virus? All of which I think you understood what I ment. The vaccines are obviously a debatable topic, in which why we have the reluctance. There is far more science going on than just the mainstream Fauci team. You can choose to do that route and no one is denying your right to it.

lazyboy97o

The severe illness of the common cold? Just keep spinning nonsense.

Joesixtoe

The severe illness of the common cold? Just keep spinning nonsense.
As the paragraph in question stated, other seasonal “common-cold” coronaviruses,4 which elicit short-term immunity against mild reinfection but longer-term immunity against more severe illness with reinfection. If this were the case with SARS-CoV-2, the virus (or at least the variants studied to date) could adopt a more benign pattern of infection when it becomes endemic."

Just quoting the article. Yes the common cold can be severe, but I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom