Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

Concerning news. All flights to the UK from South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini are being suspended from tomorrow.

So they don't know how infectious and if it causes more severe illness and only have a few cases to study. Right to isolate it until those are determined.

hopemax

So they don't know how infectious and if it causes more severe illness and only have a few cases to study. Right to isolate it until those are determined.
Yeah, I saw this on Twitter. The concern for this one, unlike a bunch of other recent variants, is that in this small region, and in a short period of time it has been able to outcompete Delta by a huge margin. Faster even than Delta outcompeted Alpha. If the result is a milder illness, then we'll learn to deal. If it's the same as before or worse and more immune evasive, then bad news. It could just be founder effect, and over time and greater area Delta hangs on and this blips out like the other variants.

Heppenheimer

The main reason there was no flu last year to speak of is that the flu originates every year in Asia and travels around the world. There was essentially zero travel out of Asia due to COVID so it wasn't able to branch out like normal.
The flu travels and undergoes antigenic shift among populations of migrating birds, so unless they were in lock-down too, the lack of flu last year probably had much more with those mitigation measures in humans that you are so against.

Slpy3270

If this Nu variant is as bad as Twitter threads claim it is, 90% employee vaccination coverage won't protect .

Last edited by a moderator:

Heppenheimer

By the way, before we declare Armageddon with the latest new COVID strand, may I offer a bit of hope?

The upcoming oral anti-COVID medications interfere with the action of an enzyme that the virus uses to transcribe RNA into proteins. Even if the mutated spike proteins escape the immunity generated by the current vaccines, the viral protein-encoding enzyme should still remain vulnerable to the medications.

Worst case scenario is that we need to re-jig the vaccines to produce the new spike protein. Fortunately, the mRNA-based technology makes this extremely easy. Regulatory approval and public acceptance are a different matter, though.

By the way, before we declare Armageddon with the latest new COVID strand, may I offer a bit of hope?

The upcoming oral anti-COVID medications interfere with the action of an enzyme that the virus uses to transcribe RNA into proteins. Even if the mutated spike proteins escape the immunity generated by the current vaccines, the viral protein-encoding enzyme should still remain vulnerable to the medications.

Worst case scenario is that we need to re-jig the vaccines to produce the new spike protein. Fortunately, the mRNA-based technology makes this extremely easy. Regulatory approval and public acceptance are a different matter, though.
I am sure people will jump at getting another vaccine shot,,,,,,NOT

Bob Harlem

Case number reporting has been inconsistent this week for the holiday (weekly case numbers report wont be out until tuesday for this week), but hospitalization numbers are still being reported. We end the week in Florida with a new all time low (since HHS started in April 2020) for Florida covid hospitalization. 2.31% covid use across the state, (1322 beds. All time low since April 2020) rate of decrease week to week is slowing slightly,but still steady.

On the flip side Michigan is currently seeing a faster per capita rate increase than Florida ever did even in August right now.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

We won't know until it's too late.
Also, we're still battling delta here, which we know the vaccine works against. Until we know more about this new variant and/or have evidence that it's located anywhere other sub-Saharan Africa, this new variant doesn't suddenly absolve us of doing the things we know work against delta. Delta is our immediate problem.

Disorbust

Except:

Not as promising as they advertised

Heppenheimer

Except:

Not as promising as they advertised
I'm waiting to see the data they submit to the FDA. It hasn't been published yet, so we really don't know much about the efficacy at this point.

dreday3

Also, we're still battling delta here, which we know the vaccine works against. Until we know more about this new variant and/or have evidence that it's located anywhere other sub-Saharan Africa, this new variant doesn't suddenly absolve us of doing the things we know work against delta. Delta is our immediate problem.

I've been reading about it this morning - question - do any of the articles say anything about the actual severity of the illness in the patients? I understand the worry is how fast it's spreading, but I'm reading nothing of the jump in cases with the actual severity. Is it possible it could be it's mutating to spread easier, evade easier, but be more mild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom