Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
As an aside to all this discussion, I wanted to share that my wife and children -- everyone in the house, except for me -- has Covid right now. All have tested positive at various times over the past week or so. All have had various types and levels of symptoms, but fortunately so far none have been serious. My son does taekwondo and despite their masking and taking proper precautions, they had an outbreak, which then came to our house.

As I've mentioned here before, I've both had Covid before and have been fully vaccinated. My wife, unfortunately, had an allergic reaction to the first vaccine dose and was advised not to take the second dose of that vaccine (Moderna), and that was before they allowed "mixing and matching" vaccines, so she was left with just one shot. And we hadn't vaccinated our children yet.

So for those of you who believe in such things, I'd like to kindly ask for your prayers that everyone in my family gets through this okay. And I'd also like emphasize that even with the delta variant being so contagious, and even with me being in close contact for a week with people who have Covid, I have not gotten it this time, which I take as a testament to the effectiveness of the vaccine (in addition to natural immunity from having had Covid prior to being vaccinated). So I highly encourage everyone who hasn't yet done so to go get vaccinated.
Prayers for sure.

Communicora

Premium Member
As an aside to all this discussion, I wanted to share that my wife and children -- everyone in the house, except for me -- has Covid right now. All have tested positive at various times over the past week or so. All have had various types and levels of symptoms, but fortunately so far none have been serious. My son does taekwondo and despite their masking and taking proper precautions, they had an outbreak, which then came to our house.

As I've mentioned here before, I've both had Covid before and have been fully vaccinated. My wife, unfortunately, had an allergic reaction to the first vaccine dose and was advised not to take the second dose of that vaccine (Moderna), and that was before they allowed "mixing and matching" vaccines, so she was left with just one shot. And we hadn't vaccinated our children yet.

So for those of you who believe in such things, I'd like to kindly ask for your prayers that everyone in my family gets through this okay. And I'd also like emphasize that even with the delta variant being so contagious, and even with me being in close contact for a week with people who have Covid, I have not gotten it this time, which I take as a testament to the effectiveness of the vaccine (in addition to natural immunity from having had Covid prior to being vaccinated). So I highly encourage everyone who hasn't yet done so to go get vaccinated.
Sending you and your family my prayers. I hope they all recover quickly.

drizgirl

Don't know but we asked the CVS pharmacist before we rolled up our sleeves and she advised us we were getting the full dosage. One thing that was good was she returned our CDC card completed and back to us after the CVS location egg timer went off while we sat nearby in case of an immediate reaction.

I remember you posting about getting your Moderna booster. It was well before the half dose was even available. I recall because I had been watching closely for news that we could get ours.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Prayers for your family to come through this quickly and safely.

correcaminos

Germany and Italy set to announce those unvaccinated will be put into a lockdown - not even able to go to work.

Austria which has gone into lockdown - implemented a similar policy this week, but does allow unvaccinated to go to work.

All round this is very grim.
Where do you get your news? Seriously curious as your last two posts have been incorrect and just overly negative
"German lawmakers in Parliament voted on Thursday to force unvaccinated people going to work or using public transit to provide daily test results"

The grimness you are alluding to is just the government wanting people to vaccinate.

correcaminos

Wishing your family all the best!

The Mom

Premium Member
Germany and Italy set to announce those unvaccinated will be put into a lockdown - not even able to go to work.

Austria which has gone into lockdown - implemented a similar policy this week, but does allow unvaccinated to go to work.

I think that might be backwards - Austria in first sentence, and Germany and Italy in second.

Redhawk

Weird thing is that I got mine before they opened it to everyone. I don’t live in one of the states where the governor said anyone that wants it can get it. My wife is immune compromised so we were out to go to her doctor to get a note for her to get it and me tagging along hoping to get it also. But we stopped for the flu shot and just asked if we can get the booster. No note needed and a quick “ sure thing” they told us. Saved a trip to the doctor. I’m wondering if CVS and Walgreens just basically do what they want if they have enough vaccine.
Husband and I went to a CVS in DC a couple of weeks ago for our flu shots and they would have given us the booster shot if we'd wanted it, no specific questions to check if we qualified to take it at that time. I didn't like the idea of both shots in one day so we made an appointment for our booster shots next week. Glad we got our appointment as now all those who waited until it was approved for them will be lining up, plus all the kids who now can get vaxxed. But I'm glad so many in this area are getting vaccinated or boosted.

Tony the Tigger

Chuck the masks, take down the plexiglass, reopen everything, and return the world to the way it was in 2019, with the exception of a vaccination mandate for inbound international travelers, including American citizens returning from abroad. Once the pediatric vaccine has been fully approved, make it mandatory for enrollment in public schools. Accept that endemic viruses are an inescapable fact of human life.
I’m with this except the mandate should be for everyone, not just kids in school.

SingleRider

Premium Member
You think the same protocols that hospitals apply to guests should be applied to guests at a theme park? Every entertainment venue in FL has come to terms with reality except Disney.
I visited a heart clinic this past week that wasn't requiring masks for patients. Most of the staff working at the front desk weren't wearing them and about half of the people in the waiting room weren't either, but I did wear mine for the visit. A place that likely has some patients at high risk wasn't requiring them but I had to wear one at Disney - go figure.

Tony the Tigger

I visited a heart clinic this past week that wasn't requiring masks for patients. Most of the staff working at the front desk weren't wearing them and about half of the people in the waiting room weren't either, but I did wear mine for the visit. A place that likely has some patients at high risk wasn't requiring them but I had to wear one at Disney - go figure.
Disney is doing a better job than that heart clinic.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney has paused its vaccine mandate for Florida employees in response to restrictions passed by the Legislature on Wednesday limiting employers’ power to require worker vaccination.

A memo sent to Disney employees Friday said the company was taking that action immediately because of the state legislation and an appeal court’s temporary delay of federal vaccination guidelines from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

“We remain confident in the approach we have taken with our mandatory vaccine policy for Florida-based Cast Members and employees, with more than 90% of our active Florida-based Cast members and employees having verified that they are fully vaccinated, and we consider this to be very successful,” the memo read.

The memo said Disney, Central Florida’s largest single-site employer, will require all employees who had not verified they were fully vaccinated to wear face coverings and observe social distancing, among other safety protocols.

The company also is pausing consideration of vaccine exemption requests from employees and will deem employees who had not yet finished the vaccination verification process unvaccinated for the time being."

More below -

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Curious how? Are police with panel vans going to go around arresting unvaccinated and taking them to a securable location to lock them up?

disneygeek90

Did I miss something, I thought this wasn't legal in Florida?
I just hopped off a Royal Caribbean cruise this morning. We had to show proof of vaccination twice during the initial check in and were given wrist bands to show “vaccinated.” We also had to provide proof of a negative test in the past two days. Certain music halls, bars and theaters were only accessible for vaccinated guests. Some shows reserved the balcony level for the “non vaccinated” (vaccinated adults with kids under 12).

It was absolutely amazing knowing that 98%+ of the ship was vaccinated, and all in all was one of the most normal things I’ve felt since pre pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom