Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
My Pfizer 3rd dose had me wondering for a few hours if I got placebo or not. Wasn't bad. More like 1st shot than 2nd but none of mine were bad. DH's Moderna booster was nothing for him. Most of my family said 3rd doses were pretty easy.
You won't get a placebo other than during a test.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH. The number of new deaths reported from the report last week to this report is 384.

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.26.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.26.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.26.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.26.46 PM.png

Here is data for Orange County from the report -

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.29.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.29.48 PM.png

Lilofan

How come some got full third shot of moderna and others the smaller dose?
Don't know but we asked the CVS pharmacist before we rolled up our sleeves and she advised us we were getting the full dosage. One thing that was good was she returned our CDC card completed and back to us after the CVS location egg timer went off while we sat nearby in case of an immediate reaction.

Chomama

I agree with you. I'm in the same boat. I've known a similar number of people (friends or relatives) who have tested positive. None of them had anything worse than what they described as a bad cold for a few days. One person had a loss of taste for several months and that was the only one I knew with lasting effects.

I don't know the exact number but probably around 10 million or so people have been hospitalized. That's still only around 3% of the population who have been hospitalized. On average, even to be touched by a close friend or relative being hospitalized, you'd have to know 33 people that fit in that category.

In reality it is going to be higher for a lot of people with the older skew for serious illness. Somebody in their 60s is going to be a lot more likely to be touched by a close friend or relative having a serious case of COVID than somebody in their 30s just based on their social circle.
I’m so glad for you both. I must be an enigma because I know now 7 people who have died from Covid. This 7th last weekend. Sigh. I do think that has informed how conservative I have been with my stance on vaccines, masks and social distancing (before we could be vaccinated). I find myself relaxing now but then having another friend die is rattling me. Why do I know this many people?!

Chomama

There’s another unfortunate truth hiding in this too.

No matter how many people get a booster, it’s not going to end this faster.

If we assume 3 out of every 10 cases is a breakthrough in a vaccinated person. Then assume boosters bring this down to 2 or 1. That’s great for those 2 or 1 individuals. Problem is, there’s still 7 other unvaccinated cases that were not changed at all.

Even if we took boosters every 3 months, it wouldn’t change that unvaccinated case rate at all. That’s the number we really need to drive down. Especially since the breakthrough rate is a reduction from that rate. Booster all we want, we still need to fix the vaccination overall percentage.

My wife scheduled her booster just like the rest of you for those same reasons, even though she previously hadn’t.
I completely agree with you. At this point I have given up on any kind of containment and started focusing solely on my household. We finally got our kids vaccinated last week and we got our boosters. We will keep getting boosters whenever we are told and stay away from people we know aren’t vaccinated. That’s the best I can do now. And obviously we wear kn95 masks in planes and in crowded indoor areas, including school while their peers get their shots. Thankfully our school has above a 90% vax rate for eligible kids.

Last edited:

Tom P.

As an aside to all this discussion, I wanted to share that my wife and children -- everyone in the house, except for me -- has Covid right now. All have tested positive at various times over the past week or so. All have had various types and levels of symptoms, but fortunately so far none have been serious. My son does taekwondo and despite their masking and taking proper precautions, they had an outbreak, which then came to our house.

As I've mentioned here before, I've both had Covid before and have been fully vaccinated. My wife, unfortunately, had an allergic reaction to the first vaccine dose and was advised not to take the second dose of that vaccine (Moderna), and that was before they allowed "mixing and matching" vaccines, so she was left with just one shot. And we hadn't vaccinated our children yet.

So for those of you who believe in such things, I'd like to kindly ask for your prayers that everyone in my family gets through this okay. And I'd also like emphasize that even with the delta variant being so contagious, and even with me being in close contact for a week with people who have Covid, I have not gotten it this time, which I take as a testament to the effectiveness of the vaccine (in addition to natural immunity from having had Covid prior to being vaccinated). So I highly encourage everyone who hasn't yet done so to go get vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom