Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

"The Food and Drug Administration on Friday is expected to authorize Moderna’s Covid-19 booster shot for all adults — a move that would come in tandem with the clearance of Pfizer-BioNtech’s booster for widespread use, two people with knowledge of the matter told POLITICO.

The decision comes just days after Moderna officially asked the FDA to greenlight its booster for Americans 18 and older, and reflects the administration’s growing unease over the recent rise in Covid-19 cases across the nation."

My family member just walked into a pharmacy and got his Moderna booster with no wait.

zapple

If anyone is wondering how the US Navy is handling the vaccine mandate and exemptions, I have a story to share. First, here are the current guidelines for sailors who refuse the vaccine. https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/N...pdates-guidance-for-covid-19-vaccine-refusal/

Basically those who refuse are getting kicked out and will lose all benefits including GI bill, but ones who try for an exemption won’t be punished while it’s under review. Because they mean business, 98% of sailors are fully vaxxed. It’s easy for a ship captain to make everyone get vaccinated, they made a rule that they won’t let you off the boat without getting the shot, so everyone on the boat gets the shot.

Well, here’s how the navy is treating officers who try for a religious exemption. My husband works at a large naval facility. There is a young lieutenant on a shore billet in a different department who applied for a religious exemption. I’m not sure of the religion or what his problem is with the vaccine specifically but he is so anti-vax that his children have received no vaccines even though he has his other required shots. He is also currently enrolled in seminary because he wants to be a navy chaplain. He submitted his exemption and his commanding officer read him the riot act, saying that he was being disingenuous and cynical, that he had no problem getting his other vaccines and he’s exhibiting conduct unbecoming of an officer. His request was denied and so his career is over: he’s being given a less than honorable discharge.

The Navy is not playing around, at least not with officers.

ABQ

Also, a little anecdotal report, since I feel what we're doing out West is different from the rest of you all, although here in CO we are a mess. We went to Cheyenne today. Visited 3 antique stores, a used bookstore and Menards. There were no signs about masks anywhere. The first antique store, everyone was masked. The bookstore and other antique stores, no masks except us, but everyone was friendly and didn't seem bothered by our masks. In Menards about 2/3rds of shoppers and employees were masked. I was quite frankly shocked (in a good way).
This little tidbit hit the news a few days ago:
SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – The mask debate continues. This time, it’s governor versus governor. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis said last week he won’t be requiring masks like New Mexico and will be leaving it up to counties, even as their cases keep climbing. He’s claiming masks haven’t helped improve New Mexico’s case count.

As a New Mexican, watching our cases only go upward, it's hard to disagree.

DisneyCane

SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – The mask debate continues. This time, it’s governor versus governor. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis said last week he won’t be requiring masks like New Mexico and will be leaving it up to counties, even as their cases keep climbing. He’s claiming masks haven’t helped improve New Mexico’s case count.

I'm not going to get into an argument about what masks do or don't do. However, what is very clear is that MASK MANDATES don't make much, if any, difference.

I'm sure somebody will bring up the study from Kansas but there were many more variables between those counties than just mask mandates. Nobody did a study of FL to compare mandate counties vs. non. Probably because in many cases the mandate counties in FL had the higher spread last year.

When looking at similar places like comparing CO to NM, there is no discernable difference even though one has a statewide mandate and one doesn't.

Nubs70

Is there a definitive randomized control study on masks?

DisneyCane

I think a lot of people still haven’t been directly touched by it, I’ve had a couple dozen friends/coworkers test positive with it over the last year and a half but (thankfully) still don’t know a single person who’s ended up in the hospital or worse.

Even among those who’ve been sick the results vary, one of my friends who got it said it’s the worst he’s ever felt in his entire life, despite not needing hospitalization, and he (and his girlfriend) got vaccinated the day he was eligible after recovering, another who had it said the flu was worse and she now uses that as her justification not to be vaccinated.

If seems like a simple choice but peoples brains work very differently.
I agree with you. I'm in the same boat. I've known a similar number of people (friends or relatives) who have tested positive. None of them had anything worse than what they described as a bad cold for a few days. One person had a loss of taste for several months and that was the only one I knew with lasting effects.

I don't know the exact number but probably around 10 million or so people have been hospitalized. That's still only around 3% of the population who have been hospitalized. On average, even to be touched by a close friend or relative being hospitalized, you'd have to know 33 people that fit in that category.

In reality it is going to be higher for a lot of people with the older skew for serious illness. Somebody in their 60s is going to be a lot more likely to be touched by a close friend or relative having a serious case of COVID than somebody in their 30s just based on their social circle.

DisneyCane

Is there a definitive randomized control study on masks?
Only that one out of Bangladesh but they just gave free masks to some villages and encouraged using them. They found an 11% reduction in the likelihood of contracting COVID in the villages where surgical masks were distributed and a statistically insignificant reduction in risk in the villages where cloth masks were distributed.

I don't think I'd call it a definitive study. I don't think you'd get too many people to volunteer for a truly definitive study. Saying, we're going to put you in a poorly ventilated room for 8 hours with known COVID positive people and then test you for two weeks and see if you got it is probably not too appealing.

correcaminos

I agree with you. I'm in the same boat. I've known a similar number of people (friends or relatives) who have tested positive. None of them had anything worse than what they described as a bad cold for a few days. One person had a loss of taste for several months and that was the only one I knew with lasting effects.

I don't know the exact number but probably around 10 million or so people have been hospitalized. That's still only around 3% of the population who have been hospitalized. On average, even to be touched by a close friend or relative being hospitalized, you'd have to know 33 people that fit in that category.

In reality it is going to be higher for a lot of people with the older skew for serious illness. Somebody in their 60s is going to be a lot more likely to be touched by a close friend or relative having a serious case of COVID than somebody in their 30s just based on their social circle.
And then there are those of us who lost loved ones, had loved ones who are long haulers over a year later, or others who were hospitalized. I'd say you are lucky you (and those like you) are really incredibly lucky. One of my cousins tries to say she knows no one who had it and that's her justification for not vaccinating - you know it cannot be real. It smacks me in the face with hurt. Last night there was a mass of remembrance at my church for those who died in the last year or so. I know more than one from church who died from covid alone. I will state this kindly, your last comment really does feel a bit flippant for those of us who either lost loved ones or watched young become so frail for so long, who don't fall into your idea of who is affected. I'm in my 40s and my friends affected weren't all old with some being in their 30s and 40s themselves.

I am hoping that more vaccinations, Astra Zeneca's antibody drug (https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/18/ast...cent-effective-at-preventing-covid-trial.html) for those who have real issues with vaccines, and Pfizer's after infection pill will help bring this to a normal level. Unlike some I won't say it will never end, but I know it can be brought to minimal levels where it's not a concern. (no I don't think we are there yet).

DisneyCane

And then there are those of us who lost loved ones, had loved ones who are long haulers over a year later, or others who were hospitalized. I'd say you are lucky you (and those like you) are really incredibly lucky. One of my cousins tries to say she knows no one who had it and that's her justification for not vaccinating - you know it cannot be real. It smacks me in the face with hurt. Last night there was a mass of remembrance at my church for those who died in the last year or so. I know more than one from church who died from covid alone. I will state this kindly, your last comment really does feel a bit flippant for those of us who either lost loved ones or watched young become so frail for so long, who don't fall into your idea of who is affected. I'm in my 40s and my friends affected weren't all old with some being in their 30s and 40s themselves.

I am hoping that more vaccinations, Astra Zeneca's antibody drug (https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/18/ast...cent-effective-at-preventing-covid-trial.html) for those who have real issues with vaccines, and Pfizer's after infection pill will help bring this to a normal level. Unlike some I won't say it will never end, but I know it can be brought to minimal levels where it's not a concern. (no I don't think we are there yet).
I do feel for people who were unlucky and have been touched by several friends and loved ones. My last comment wasn't meant to be flippant at all. I was just commenting on likelihoods of knowing people who had severe illnesses based on age. There will of course be unfortunate outliers to the statistics.

Your cousin's reasoning is just nonsensical. I don't personally know anybody who is HIV+, that certainly doesn't mean HIV doesn't exist.

correcaminos

I do feel for people who were unlucky and have been touched by several friends and loved ones. My last comment wasn't meant to be flippant at all. I was just commenting on likelihoods of knowing people who had severe illnesses based on age. There will of course be unfortunate outliers to the statistics.

Your cousin's reasoning is just nonsensical. I don't personally know anybody who is HIV+, that certainly doesn't mean HIV doesn't exist.
I think it's nothing to do with age is all. Think of young kids who lost grandparents or great aunts or something. Those who lost mentors. Age has less to do with those who were affected by others either really sick or dying. That's what I meant by it being flippant. You're luck has kept you free from this. I wouldn't call me unlucky, but more of a norm too.

Yes, my cousin is obnoxious as all get out. I've spoken about them before and how they thought they could bypass a covid test or not get vaccinated before a surgery and think they were going to be let in. Calling being forced to test or vaccinate discrimination and of course my favorite, claiming they won't be a guinea pig for a vaccine - uh no, that was me ;) I'm not talking to them at the moment. I just don't have time for stupidity.

I'm very much wanting to get my life back, but looking at people like my cousin reminds me why we cannot even come close to it. It really makes me so annoyed. I wanted to be back with no masks, but instead I have stupid dry patched splotches on my face from the mask wearing at Disney combined with flying (always dehydrates me) and coming back to freezing temps. My skin was very unhappy yesterday (got back Weds night) but improving some today - and as trivial as that is, I'd rather only wear masks when it's freezing cold out knowing they work better at keeping my face warm than scarves ;)

Nubs70

Only that one out of Bangladesh but they just gave free masks to some villages and encouraged using them. They found an 11% reduction in the likelihood of contracting COVID in the villages where surgical masks were distributed and a statistically insignificant reduction in risk in the villages where cloth masks were distributed.

I don't think I'd call it a definitive study. I don't think you'd get too many people to volunteer for a truly definitive study. Saying, we're going to put you in a poorly ventilated room for 8 hours with known COVID positive people and then test you for two weeks and see if you got it is probably not too appealing.
There is a tendency for using only RCT at the yardstick of truth. If those that advocate for only RCT as truth were consistent, their response to effectivity of masks should be "we do not know". I would think a double blind test of masks would be very difficult to do.

DisneyCane

There is a tendency for using only RCT at the yardstick of truth. If those that advocate for only RCT as truth were consistent, their response to effectivity of masks should be "we do not know". I would think a double blind test of masks would be very difficult to do.
I agree. The answer to a lot of things COVID should have been "we do not know" followed by "we think this will help."

Heppenheimer

If anyone is wondering how the US Navy is handling the vaccine mandate and exemptions, I have a story to share. First, here are the current guidelines for sailors who refuse the vaccine. https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/N...pdates-guidance-for-covid-19-vaccine-refusal/

Basically those who refuse are getting kicked out and will lose all benefits including GI bill, but ones who try for an exemption won’t be punished while it’s under review. Because they mean business, 98% of sailors are fully vaxxed. It’s easy for a ship captain to make everyone get vaccinated, they made a rule that they won’t let you off the boat without getting the shot, so everyone on the boat gets the shot.

Well, here’s how the navy is treating officers who try for a religious exemption. My husband works at a large naval facility. There is a young lieutenant on a shore billet in a different department who applied for a religious exemption. I’m not sure of the religion or what his problem is with the vaccine specifically but he is so anti-vax that his children have received no vaccines even though he has his other required shots. He is also currently enrolled in seminary because he wants to be a navy chaplain. He submitted his exemption and his commanding officer read him the riot act, saying that he was being disingenuous and cynical, that he had no problem getting his other vaccines and he’s exhibiting conduct unbecoming of an officer. His request was denied and so his career is over: he’s being given a less than honorable discharge.

The Navy is not playing around, at least not with officers.
Outbreaks of communicable diseases in the military can knock an entire unit out of combat effectiveness, so I'm glad to see that navy is not taking any of this crap. I saw first hand how hard a flu outbreak can hit a deployed army unit, I can only imagine how bad a COVID outbreak could be on a ship.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Jim Cramer said it best yesterday on CNBC: it’s time we stop tracking positive cases and start simply tracking hospitalizations and deaths. This “uptick” we are seeing doesn’t tell the whole story as hospitalizations and deaths continues to remain low (outside of a few pockets).
I have often said that the case numbers aren't a very good stat, but, they're not totally useless. When case numbers go up continually day after day, then almost always, the hospitalization numbers start to rise. Especially with Delta in the mix.

Stats should be presented as a whole. Focusing on just one doesn't tell the whole story, and is often an indicator someone is cherry picking information for a particular agenda.

But, yeah, hospitalizations are a clearer indication of damage being done than just the cases numbers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have often said that the case numbers aren't a very good stat, but, they're not totally useless. When case numbers go up continually day after day, then almost always, the hospitalization numbers start to rise. Especially with Delta in the mix.

Stats should be presented as a whole. Focusing on just one doesn't tell the whole story, and is often an indicator someone is cherry picking information for a particular agenda.

But, yeah, hospitalizations are a clearer indication of damage being done than just the cases numbers.
BTW, Florida's case number dove down and are now starting to go up again. Same with other states that had number of cases drop significantly.

It's something to keep an eye on...

dreday3

"What we’re starting to see now is an uptick in hospitalizations among people who’ve been vaccinated but not boosted”

Maybe this will be the disease to kill off humanity...I'm going to stop paying my bills. ;)

After the booster, then what? My parents got theirs yesterday, we are getting ours week after Thanksgiving, but I know many, many vaccinated who aren't getting booster because they've been told they don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom