Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Yep, after a decent fall in the cases the UK is you guessed it, going back up again at the same rate:

View attachment 600993

Yesterday they announced that booster shots are now available for those over 40 after it was previously the over 50's (plus those with health conditions etc), and that 16 and 17 year olds could now come forward for second jabs rather than just having one.

Hopefully these measures make a dent and we can make it through to the Spring without having a really awful winter in terms of cases, hospitalisations and deaths.
Almost like it's seasonal... and endemic... and never going away.

ZomboMeme 17112021071651.jpg

DisneyCane

How can a vaccine have a negative effectiveness?

Are they implying it will make people more susceptible in the long term? That makes no sense at all.

I was scratching my head on that also.

Besides the ridiculousness of producing a graph that shows the vaccine eventually creating negative protection, their own conclusions of this study (that hasn't been peer-reviewed) is:
"Background: Whether vaccine effectiveness against Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) lasts longer than 6 months is unclear."​
"Collectively, there is insufficient evidence to determine vaccine effectiveness beyond 6 months."​
"The effectiveness against severe illness seems to remain high through 9 months, although not for men, older frail individuals, and individuals with comorbidities."​
I believe the negative effectiveness is due to vaccinated people who feel (as I do) that once you are vaccinated that's the end of COVID for you. If the vaccine stops having any effect after a period of time but you live without caring about COVID at all then you are more likely to get infected then a person who isn't vaccinated but is taking some level of precautions.

As far as how much to respect this study, it is a pre-print that will be printed in The Lancet, which is a highly respected publication.

DisneyCane

I haven’t shared this because it’s really not anybody’s business, but I got my first two jabs with no issues. My doc then approved a booster because of my work…and then it went bad. Chest tightness, short of breath, severe heart palpitations. One of the scariest and most uncomfortable experiences of my life. I’d take the mild illness and only 2 weeks of not being able to exercise any day…because I’m still having problems. Ongoing boosters don’t excite me.
Thank you for sharing this for the "shut up, arms out" brigade to read. Your description is very similar to what my mom experienced after a Pfizer booster. She told me that she actually thought she might die from the reaction, it was that severe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Spike forming???

Wife's hospital is worse off now than the original wave. Most admissions ever.

I wonder why media is not covering this?
Because it’s no longer getting clicks…would be my guess?

my point is that there could be elevated cases in the south in a few weeks based on trends. Especially where anti-vax stupidity has been the fashion trend of the year…

even chapek might be smart Enough to wait it out.

and people also don’t seem to get the travel patterns. They aren’t going to get “a bump” in November or December by dropping masks. Nobody “whips” up a 7 day trip to Orlando on 2 weeks notice. The only “surge” would be from Florida residents…and that’s not where the silly profits are made. They don’t care about that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing this for the "shut up, arms out" brigade to read. Your description is very similar to what my mom experienced after a Pfizer booster. She told me that she actually thought she might die from the reaction, it was that severe.
The “shut up, arms out” brigade is still going with what the health guys are saying…and will if they tweak that in any way…

Cause…like…science…and stuff

so policy on anecdotes? That’s your call now?

no matter how low long you keep going with this…it won’t erase the mistakes you’ve supported or the Scarlet “H” you’re wearing 👍🏻

threvester

I haven’t shared this because it’s really not anybody’s business, but I got my first two jabs with no issues. My doc then approved a booster because of my work…and then it went bad. Chest tightness, short of breath, severe heart palpitations. One of the scariest and most uncomfortable experiences of my life. I’d take the mild illness and only 2 weeks of not being able to exercise any day…because I’m still having problems. Ongoing boosters don’t excite me.
this happened to me after my 2nd jab.. I posted it and the mods deleted it as if I was making it up or something

DisneyCane

The “shut up, arms out” brigade is still going with what the health guys are saying…and will if they tweak that in any way…

Cause…like…science…and stuff

so policy on anecdotes? That’s your call now?

no matter how low long you keep going with this…it won’t erase the mistakes you’ve supported or the Scarlet “H” you’re wearing 👍🏻
I can't figure out the riddle of what the "H" stands for.

No, I don't suggest policy on anecdotes. I do suggest that people be able to consult with their own doctor and determine what is best for them.

For my mom, the risk of a reaction to another booster may be higher than her risk of contracting COVID if she doesn't get it based on her lifestyle and situation. Similar to the poster I replied to.

While for the vast majority of people, getting vaccinated is the right choice and getting a booster may be the right choice as the evidence of waning effectiveness builds, it isn't the right choice for everybody. Policy should not be set that removes a person's doctor from the equation completely.

Heppenheimer

A mandate? And you didn’t quit? 😉
A yearly flu vaccine is nothing compared to all the stuff I had to regularly get in the army...

... speaking of which, rather than people saying an empty pleasantry like "Thank you for your service", I'd much rather everyone adopt a modicum of civic responsibility and just get the damn vaccine... and yes, even wear a mask when necessary.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can't figure out the riddle of what the "H" stands for.

No, I don't suggest policy on anecdotes. I do suggest that people be able to consult with their own doctor and determine what is best for them.

For my mom, the risk of a reaction to another booster may be higher than her risk of contracting COVID if she doesn't get it based on her lifestyle and situation. Similar to the poster I replied to.

While for the vast majority of people, getting vaccinated is the right choice and getting a booster may be the right choice as the evidence of waning effectiveness builds, it isn't the right choice for everybody. Policy should not be set that removes a person's doctor from the equation completely.
Well that’s fair…the doctors will suggest the booster, however

since you brought the mom story up again - what were the conditions/situation?

DisneyCane

Well that’s fair…the doctors will suggest the booster, however

since you brought the mom story up again - what were the conditions/situation?
She had several hours of a very high (around 179 heart rate), very low blood pressure as a result, AFib event for around 36 hours and severe chills for almost 24 hours.

I'm sure you'll just give a snarky reply insinuating that she survived so it wasn't a big deal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A yearly flu vaccine is nothing compared to all the stuff I had to regularly get in the army...

... speaking of which, rather than people saying an empty pleasantry like "Thank you for your service", I'd much rather everyone adopt a modicum of civic responsibility and just get the damn vaccine... and yes, even wear a mask when necessary.
I’m so glad you said this…

I too say “thank you” when I see service people. And pick up tabs when it’s possible…

but I get the feeling a certain ideological leaning suggests that it should mean “thank you for your service…now do and say whatever you want”. Or it gives the person saying it a pass?

that’s bad civics and problematic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
She had several hours of a very high (around 179 heart rate), very low blood pressure as a result, AFib event for around 36 hours and severe chills for almost 24 hours.

I'm sure you'll just give a snarky reply insinuating that she survived so it wasn't a big deal.
No I saw that…what’s her underlying health/medical history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom