Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't read opinion stories on the internet. I will read a story and then track down the source material. I don't take any reporter's interpretation as valid, no matter which "side" they are on. I read studies, transcripts, etc. and therefore avoid spin.
That’s understandable…but unfortunate.

like anything…journalism takes knowledge and instincts and those are learned over time. I hate to throw all the babies out with the bath water.

Chip Chipperson

With widespread vaccine availability, who cares about cases? As long as the vaccines keep the hospitalizations and deaths in check just get vaccinated and stop worrying about COVID.

Theoretically, sure. The problem is that more cases equals more opportunities for new variants. We can't assume that the next variant will be milder than what we're dealing with now.

drizgirl

I hear that’s the new en Vogue way of deflecting from the indefensible.

my advice: cancel your cable package.
Goodness. Assume much?

So if anyone has a differing opinion, it could only have come from cable TV. Nice.

Fortunately your comment says a lot more about you than it does about me.

hopemax

Perhaps it will also sink in for you that these waves are just natural cycles. I didn't put FL on any pedestal, I've been pointing out that the wave (tidal wave at that) ended because that's how viral outbreaks work. I fully anticipate an "aftershock" to the wave over the next couple of months as people from the northeast where spread is higher travel down to FL and bring more infections with them.

COVID isn't going to zero and likely never will. There will be waves of it everywhere for the foreseeable future for sure and likely the rest of our lives.

So lets stop treating it like Armageddon, dispense with the mitigation (other than encouraging vaccination) and live with it.
For hospitals it continues to be closer to Armageddon even if everyone else has moved on. There continues to be an inability to support normal hospital functions, surgeries and a COVID wave at the same time. If all attempts at suppressing numbers goes away, the numbers will tick up. And this whole situation probably sped up the arrival of the wave of aging Boomers seeking additional care over previous norms, between delays and also having to be more vigilant about their health so they don’t get hit hard with a breakthrough if they are infected in a future wave. End up in the hospital twice like my FIL, even though it wasn’t ICU / Vent / ECMO serious but more retirement age + serious respiratory infection serious. That individual responsibility everyone is always clamoring for.

If you really want people to believe we can manage this now, someone is going to have to start proving the hospitals and other health care providers are up to it and will be supported economically by society at large, for as long as you see the waves coming. We can’t expect them to operate in crisis mode indefinitely, but that is what you are asking. And seemingly expecting no consequences from it.

The burnout labor issue is real. Fixing it will be expensive, and those costs are going to borne by someone. There is going to need to be a real strategy here besides playing a game of chicken with our health care system. Griping that it’s all some policy fault and not predominately the result of more people needing care (the choice we made by stopping mitigation) and not enough cheap care being available won’t be a real strategy.

The economy in the US is so broad and growth is strong in other fields that people don’t have to take or stay in jobs that destroy their spirit, make them feel unappreciated, work long hours and for inadequate pay. Life is too short. You would probably even tell them under the personal responsibility umbrella, “if it’s that bad… just quit and do something else.” But this “let’s just pile on more because there is nothing we can do to make it go away so let’s not try to make it easier for the people working and living in the “pinch point”… nobody better be surprised when it doesn’t go back to 2019 state, which for nursing was already a problem, made worse by the acceleration of Boomers reaching retirement, looking around and saying, “To heck with all this.” Apparently almost half of RNs are age 50+ which seems like a ticking time bomb. And the one state projected to actually handle it over the long term best is Florida which may be why it doesn’t feel like a major problem to you.

willtravel

I saw this comment on an article I was reading. Not sure what to make of it.

Sweden conducted the most comprehensive long-term study of vaccine effectiveness in the world and found that after 6-7 months, "no effectiveness could be detected" from the Pfizer shot. In fact, the study found negative efficacy after 210 days for those over 50.

dreday3

In other news, just a reminder that being fully vaccinated (and boosted) against COVID means squat if you get hit by another respiratory virus. My son brought something home from his pre-preschool sessions and both my wife and I are completely knocked out from it. We all tested negative for COVID-19, so I guess that's good. Still feel like garbage, though.

We had the same thing!!! Caught it at Disney (or on plane) - 2.5 weeks of horrible sinus congestion, cough only at night, mild fever for a few days - tested negative for Covid.
He's all better, unfortunately my smell/taste is still not great. But worst is over.

DisneyDebRob

Sweden conducted the most comprehensive long-term study of vaccine effectiveness in the world and found that after 6-7 months, "no effectiveness could be detected" from the Pfizer shot. In fact, the study found negative efficacy after 210 days for those over 50.
Where was this article? I have not heard or read anything of the sort. Not saying it’s wrong, just would like to know where the source is from. Wasn’t moderna website was it? :)

DisneyCane

Where was this article? I have not heard or read anything of the sort. Not saying it’s wrong, just would like to know where the source is from. Wasn’t moderna website was it? :)
Same here. Seems like something made up by an anti-vaxxer but you never know.

willtravel

As I said this was a comment on an article from a reader. I think comments like this creates confusion. But I personally believe that some of the comment could be true.

Last edited:

tallica

That’s understandable…but unfortunate.

like anything…journalism takes knowledge and instincts and those are learned over time. I hate to throw all the babies out with the bath water.
True journalists have gone they way of the dodo bird. Nowadays they let emotion, bias, and political view corrupt their reporting. Modern journalism is done by cherry pickers who are stating opinion and hypotheses as fact.

hopemax

Okay, and here's the actual study

The purpose of the study was to determine if a third dose should be recommended for elderly and immunocompromised individuals previously vaccinated with Pfizer. They concluded, yes, and also for men.

"Interpretation: Vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic Covid-19 infection wanes progressively over time across all subgroups, but at different rate according to type of vaccine, and faster for men and older frail individuals. The effectiveness against severe illness seems to remain high through 9 months, although not for men, older frail individuals, and individuals with comorbidities. This strengthens the evidence-based rationale for administration of a third booster dose."

Now the study is being used to promote propaganda that vaccination is useless.

Lilofan

True journalists have gone they way of the dodo bird. Nowadays they let emotion, bias, and political view corrupt their reporting. Modern journalism is done by cherry pickers who are stating opinion and hypotheses as fact.
Modern journalism which all compete against each other is far different from back in the day. Back then there was TV and printed newspaper which was not much of a competition.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Theoretically, sure. The problem is that more cases equals more opportunities for new variants. We can't assume that the next variant will be milder than what we're dealing with now.
Yet another “bookmark”

cases don’t matter…until they do. The danger is more biology “floating about” doing what it does…

I swear…If some of these people were in Jurassic park…they’d invite the raptors to tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom