Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

The last time the FDA/CDC looked to see if boosters were needed for the general public, they said not at this time.

People pushing boosters are makers of the vaccine and politicians.

This is all a distraction from the thing that would make boosters mostly unneeded: A vaccine mandate for everyone.
I can agree on the makers pushing for boosters. More boosters, more profits to make the company stock go up and investors rich. Any company would promote and push their product so more can use and buy.

hopemax

Let me know when a single governor does that. I have been waiting.
Pragmatically, governors have to get elected, so they don't. Employers however... in our free market system, that's where the real decisions get made, right? Up until now the real bills from the insurance companies haven't started arriving yet. Those are mostly being funneled to DC or DC throwing money around. But at some point that ends. And then it's just insurance companies, the costs employers are responsible for, the premiums passed to employees. Right now, probably more than ever, people are thinking this is just one winter away from all just going away naturally. While still talking about being like endemic flu levels indicating that it won't, just double the effects that we are used to. We're looking at permanent increased demand, people fleeing healthcare so decrease supply = bad combination for controlling health care costs.

Vaccination is an efficient strategy to mitigate the effects of increased employee health care costs. The same way it's cheaper for Disney to have mask mandates vs capacity restrictions, it will be cheaper for employers to just have vaccinated labor. And if future mRNA vaccines for flu can result in significant gains for efficacy and combo'd with a COVID booster... we better get used to the yearly Vax Van making rounds. Employers haven't needed to think in terms of vaccination and their bottom line since it's typically a bi-product of school. The continued costs will reveal themselves, and they'll adjust accordingly. Line items in paychecks associated with lack of vaccination (testing costs, higher premiums) will reveal how serious people continue to be about their objections. But like everything else about COVID, people will need to see it to believe it. So that means waiting for the continuing bills to roll in. We'll end up vaccinating to protect business profits. Not silly nonsense like quality of life, or saving lives.

SoFloMagic

The last time the FDA/CDC looked to see if boosters were needed for the general public, they said not at this time.

People pushing boosters are makers of the vaccine and politicians.

This is all a distraction from the thing that would make boosters mostly unneeded: A vaccine mandate for everyone.
Agreed. In the meantime, im happy to have had a booster to protct myself and my family from the unvaxxed.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'll tell you this, being here in WDW this week, each of the cast I've spoken with about masks have had enough, especially after they removed the back stage requirement. Also, after waiting in the 70 minute Jingle Cruise queue, shoulder to shoulder, nose to pretty much butt, unmasked, it's just beyond silly to think that there is any science behind Disney's indoor mask requirement. If it's OK to breath on hundreds of strangers for over an hour, but somehow the end of the world to be in a sparsely populated gift shop without a mask at say, the Boardwalk, I'm utterly confused.
Agreed. I thought it was ridiculous to be mobbed on Main Street a few weeks ago without a mask requirement. Like, what did it matter once we were one step into a covered, but still ‘outdoor’ queue? If people want to wear masks, let ‘em. But I think it should be personal choice at the parks at this point.

Tom P.

Agreed. I thought it was ridiculous to be mobbed on Main Street a few weeks ago without a mask requirement. Like, what did it matter once we were one step into a covered, but still ‘outdoor’ queue? If people want to wear masks, let ‘em. But I think it should be personal choice at the parks at this point.
Mark it down on the calendar. You and I agree.

DisneyDebRob

Just got the booster, wife and I. Got the flu shot also. Both arms doing fine.
The good thing I heard from the nurse was that she said they are mobbed everyday with kids getting the vaccine. They have been so busy daily since it was approved. Let’s hope it carries over to all states and stays busy.
As for the conversation on whether you should get a booster or nit, I’ll be there every 6 or 8 months or a year for the shot. For many reasons. Takes 5 minutes to drive and get it. Not a burden.. then again wearing a mask isn’t either. But that’s me.

SoFloMagic

Wait another two weeks to give parents a shot to get their kids fully vaccinated. Then drop it. Orange county is now in the moderate level, so it tracks with CDC guidelines too. Announcement coming Friday? Or will they wait for Osceola to hit the threshold too

Chip Chipperson

I'll tell you this, being here in WDW this week, each of the cast I've spoken with about masks have had enough, especially after they removed the back stage requirement. Also, after waiting in the 70 minute Jingle Cruise queue, shoulder to shoulder, nose to pretty much butt, unmasked, it's just beyond silly to think that there is any science behind Disney's indoor mask requirement. If it's OK to breath on hundreds of strangers for over an hour, but somehow the end of the world to be in a sparsely populated gift shop without a mask at say, the Boardwalk, I'm utterly confused.

Damn! How tall was the person ahead of you in line?!?!

Nubs70

On the flip side, where is the consensus that the COVID vaccine will only require the initial two doses and then a booster? At this point, it seems everyone is guessing. If we can beat it down now, maybe this is all that will be needed long term. But I don't think we know at this point. And that was sort of the reasoning around my original question. Yes, let's knock out the virus as much as possible now with vaccines. But once this occurs, what are we going to need as far as vaccines? At this point, to expect that we will just need a pattern of shots similar to measles (more or less) seems really premature.
Additionally the thought that the current covid vaccines do not eliminate transmissability, therefore a new type of covid vaccine needs to be developed.

bubbles1812

Just got the booster, wife and I. Got the flu shot also. Both arms doing fine.
The good thing I heard from the nurse was that she said they are mobbed everyday with kids getting the vaccine. They have been so busy daily since it was approved. Let’s hope it carries over to all states and stays busy.
As for the conversation on whether you should get a booster or nit, I’ll be there every 6 or 8 months or a year for the shot. For many reasons. Takes 5 minutes to drive and get it. Not a burden.. then again wearing a mask isn’t either. But that’s me.
I have been quite heartened by the amount of parents bringing their children in the be vaccinated into my office.

And I’m boosterized… I don’t worry so much about Covid in my ‘regular’ job as a Family Med doc, but I sure as hell am seeing it more than I wish to while working Urgent Care. We have a running tally of Vax v Unvax positives and let’s just say the Unvaxed are ‘winning’ by a mile.

That all being said, I think Disney’s indoor mask rule is a bit… eh... If you’re going to pack us all like sardines for the fireworks without a mask requirement, requiring a mask for the indoor queue just seems discordant. I had very mixed feelings about the situation while watching Enchanted last week.

Smooth

I have been quite heartened by the amount of parents bringing their children in the be vaccinated into my office.

And I’m boosterized… I don’t worry so much about Covid in my ‘regular’ job as a Family Med doc, but I sure as hell am seeing it more than I wish to while working Urgent Care. We have a running tally of Vax v Unvax positives and let’s just say the Unvaxed are ‘winning’ by a mile.

That all being said, I think Disney’s indoor mask rule is a bit… eh... If you’re going to pack us all like sardines for the fireworks without a mask requirement, requiring a mask for the indoor queue just seems discordant. I had very mixed feelings about the situation while watching Enchanted last week.
A lot of people have mixed feelings when they watch Enchanted.

LittleBuford

My 2 days spent on the couch after my booster a couple weeks ago begs to differ.
I had a really tough time of it after my booster too (much worse than with either of the two original shots), but I still wouldn’t consider it a big deal in the grand scheme of things, particularly given what it’s protecting me from. That said, I can see how such side-effects would present difficulties to those who have to work every day, or who have to care for children or other dependants.

Heppenheimer

Additionally the thought that the current covid vaccines do not eliminate transmissability, therefore a new type of covid vaccine needs to be developed.
Although as usual, this poster is taking things out of context, there is a race right now amongst drug companies to develop a nasal vaccine. The weak poing in the armor of the current vaccines is that they primarily stimulate production of IgG antibodies. These are great for blood-born infections, and they can readily diffuse out of the thin-walled blood vessels of the airways. However, they penetrate the walls of the mucous membranes much less efficiently. This is why the current vaccines protect very well against severe disease. The antibodies can easily neutralize what viral particles make it into the lungs, but on the flip side, the virus can get a head start with replication in the nasal passages before the various branches of the immune system can really clamp down. A nasal vaccine that strongly stimulates the production of IgA antibodies, which can readily line the mucous membranes like a field of anti-COVID barbed wire, would provide a tremendous complement to the existing vaccines.

Unfortunately, we're at least a year away from seeing such a product going before the FDA, and unlike our existing vaccines, these are not receiving Operation Warp Speed funding.

drizgirl

I had a really tough time of it after my booster too (much worse than with either of the two original shots), but I still wouldn’t consider it a big deal in the grand scheme of things, particularly given what it’s protecting me from. That said, I can see how such side-effects would present difficulties to those who have to work every day, or who have to care for children or other dependants.
As I said, I did it and I would do it again. But I just think it's going to be hard to get large numbers of people on board with it. If it becomes something that's needed regularly (like the flu shot) compliance will tank. This was absolutely nothing like the flu shot in terms of life interruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom