Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

My monies on a yearly shot, like the flu shot, that idea will likely make some peoples head explode but for most people it won’t be a big deal, a minute spent at their target or grocery store pharmacy every fall.

I also think it’ll end up with numbers similar to the flu shot, probably 50% will get it every year and 50% won’t. (Assuming original vaccine protection against hospitalization remains high). Those who aren’t worried about getting the flu likely won’t be worried about getting mild COVID either.
The issue for me isn't the time it takes, it's the reaction. When I get the flu shot my arm is a little sore for a few hours. When I got my second dose of Moderna, I had a fever and was knocked out for a whole day in addition to my arm being sore. The side effects were just as bad as a minor illness.

I joked at the time that I was going to make a T-Shirt that said, "I gave myself a fever so I won't get a cough."

Now those side effects are worth it to prevent a serious illness but not to prevent a minor illness.

Kevin_W

The issue for me isn't the time it takes, it's the reaction. When I get the flu shot my arm is a little sore for a few hours. When I got my second dose of Moderna, I had a fever and was knocked out for a whole day in addition to my arm being sore. The side effects were just as bad as a minor illness.

I joked at the time that I was going to make a T-Shirt that said, "I gave myself a fever so I won't get a cough."

Now those side effects are worth it to prevent a serious illness but not to prevent a minor illness.

Depends on the "minor illness". I know some one recently infectected with a breakthrough case that was "mildly ill" - still a few days in bed and barely able to exercise after 1.5-2 weeks. She's take the side effects again in a heartbeat.

DisneyCane

Unfortunately there will be exceptions but most people only report arm pain and fatigue.

I don’t envy people in your position if it does become yearly, hopefully efficacy against serious illness stays in the 90s and an annual won’t be necessary.
There are a lot of exceptions. Over half of the people I know that got either Pfizer or Moderna had, at minimum extreme fatigue that lasted for at least the majority of the day after. Some also had fever/chills. My wife could barely sleep. My mom had afib, significantly elevated heart rate and severe chills.

Whereas, with the flu shot I don't think I know anybody who has had worse than a sore arm

CaptainAmerica

Depends on the "minor illness". I know some one recently infectected with a breakthrough case that was "mildly ill" - still a few days in bed and barely able to exercise after 1.5-2 weeks. She's take the side effects again in a heartbeat.
Risk = Probability x Impact

It's not irrational to say "I'd rather take a 10% risk of COVID than a 100% guarantee of vaccine side effects."

DisneyCane

I'm pretty much guaranteed to get the side effects. It is an extremely low chance that I'll get a breakthrough case even with waning effectiveness.

Ayla

My monies on a yearly shot, like the flu shot, that idea will likely make some peoples head explode but for most people it won’t be a big deal, a minute spent at their target or grocery store pharmacy every fall.

I also think it’ll end up with numbers similar to the flu shot, probably 50% will get it every year and 50% won’t. (Assuming original vaccine protection against hospitalization remains high). Those who aren’t worried about getting the flu likely won’t be worried about getting mild COVID either.
Except you have absolutely no way of knowing whether you'll get a mild case or not. It may be mild, it may cause you lifelong issues or it may kill you. There is no rhyme or reason.

mmascari

I believe Anna Durbin at Johns Hopkins used the term "regularly."
Do you have a link that shows this?

I did a quick google search, and 5 results, the closest it came to using regularly was:
Durbin says, is “if we are unable to control this pandemic — if we continue to see surges that are requiring hospitalization and really taxing health care systems.”

With most of the quotes being the revese.
For most young and healthy people, “your benefit from a booster is limited,” Durbin says.

If you got a two-dose mRNA vaccine and you’re not currently eligible for a booster, you may never need that third dose.

“There could be new variants that arise, that could come into the United States, in which case we may need a booster,” Durbin says. “But only time is going to tell us that.”

“They are still highly effective,” she said of the vaccines during a COVID webinar Wednesday. “The purpose of a vaccine is not to prevent every single symptom. … For the vast majority of people in the United States a booster is not indicated.”

But whether that’s the case depends on how well we control the ongoing pandemic, according to Durbin. The best way to ensure that we don’t need them soon or don’t need to get them regularly is to stop the disease from spreading—and the best way to do that is to vaccinate the unvaccinated, both in the U.S. and around the world. The more unvaccinated people there are, the more chances there are for new variants to emerge.
Those are all pretty far from regularly needing a booster.

Rachel Walensky says that "over time" they're going to change the definition of "fully vaccinated" to only mean people who have gotten boosters.
Just to stay on the same page here:
  1. First the CDC needs to approve the booster recommendation to include more people, not just based on conditions.
  2. Then, it could change the "fully vaccinated" to match this new definition including the approved booster. Today, they could do this for 65+ as they're all recommended.
That's still just one booster.

So, then they need to recommend additional boosters for everyone beyond the first. At which point, they could include those in the "fully vaccinated" definition. None of that is consensus today that we're going to need annual boosters.

All of that could happen. It's certainly possible. It's just as possible that none of it happens. I'm not going to worry about people saying "Not going to happen." about getting frequent boosters for something that is a totally made up thing today. I'm certainly not going use it as a way to say we've already lost and cannot beat COVID.

Side note: Dr. Anna Durbin from Johns Hopkins completely agrees with @DisneyCane that he does not need to get a booster. Based on what we know today. Look at that, some agreement. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Give it up, @CaptainAmerica. There is no reasoning with these people. The same folks who are yelling at you for daring to suggest it might be every 8 months when all the intelligent people know it's, er, every 12 months will be in here 6 months from now arguing how barbaric we are for not wanting it every 6 months when the CDC changes the guidance. You can't win.

He didn't "suggest" it, had made a statement as if it was fact, "They want people to take a COVID booster every 8 months". Just because a third dose was needed after 8 months, doesn't mean that it will be continually needed on that schedule.

drizgirl

Just wondering who's brand did you receive?
All 3 of my shots were Moderna. My husband had Moderna then boosted with Pfizer and was very sick for a day post booster. My young adult sons had JNJ followed by Pfizer. Not as bad but still very strong side effects. Young adult daughter was fine after 2 Pfizers and will boost this weekend with Pfizer ( based on high risk job).

willtravel

All 3 of my shots were Moderna. My husband had Moderna then boosted with Pfizer and was very sick for a day post booster. My young adult sons had JNJ followed by Pfizer. Not as bad but still very strong side effects. Young adult daughter was fine after 2 Pfizers and will boost this weekend with Pfizer ( based on high risk job).
I have had no problems with my 3 shots w/Pfizer. Is it because Moderna is stronger that there is stronger side effects at least for you? Or hard to say.

DisneyCane

Except you have absolutely no way of knowing whether you'll get a mild case or not. It may be mild, it may cause you lifelong issues or it may kill you. There is no rhyme or reason.
We were talking about for boosters. At this point the data suggests that unless in a high risk group, if you are "fully vaccinated" and you get a breakthrough case it is highly unlikely to be severe.

drizgirl

I have had no problems with my 3 shots w/Pfizer. Is it because Moderna is stronger that there is stronger side effects at least for you? Or hard to say.
I am convinced Moderna has stronger side effects. Can't explain my husband and 2 sons having strong reactions to their Pfizer boosters though, unless it has something to do with having different initial vaccines. I'll test that out when my daughter gets her 3rd Pfizer this weekend.

Vegas Disney Fan

We were talking about for boosters. At this point the data suggests that unless in a high risk group, if you are "fully vaccinated" and you get a breakthrough case it is highly unlikely to be severe.
“At this point” being the key phrase.

The unknown is the worst part for me, I’ve been living life as normal (masks being the exception) since being vaccinated, I plan to continue living life as normal as long as they keep doing their job. If/when a booster is necessary I’ll get it, whatever it takes to keep living life as normal.

Currently I have no more fear of Covid than I do any other disease. (Although I do follow and think about it much more than other diseases).

ABQ

Since the mask thread was locked any new info on what we think WDW will do? I know there was some talk about an announcement that might be coming soon in regards to masks (one way or the other).
I'll tell you this, being here in WDW this week, each of the cast I've spoken with about masks have had enough, especially after they removed the back stage requirement. Also, after waiting in the 70 minute Jingle Cruise queue, shoulder to shoulder, nose to pretty much butt, unmasked, it's just beyond silly to think that there is any science behind Disney's indoor mask requirement. If it's OK to breath on hundreds of strangers for over an hour, but somehow the end of the world to be in a sparsely populated gift shop without a mask at say, the Boardwalk, I'm utterly confused.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The last time the FDA/CDC looked to see if boosters were needed for the general public, they said not at this time.

People pushing boosters are makers of the vaccine and politicians.

This is all a distraction from the thing that would make boosters mostly unneeded: A vaccine mandate for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom