Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisc

And apparently now aspirin is the new false idol of the "everything but tested science" camp. This is especially odd since it was just recently that the recommendation changed to say that patients with heart disease shouldn't take aspirin - yet the common refrain among the COVID deniers was always "underlying health conditions" such as heart disease (aka, the exact people who would have been taking aspirin daily).

You have it backwards. The new recommendation is people at high risk, including patients with a previous heart disease or heart attack should, consulting with their doctor, continue (or start) low dose aspirin regimen.

The issue is if people without any risk factors, particularly people over 60 should start a low dose aspirin regimen for prevention. The recent studies suggest the bleeding risk, for people without any risk factors, exceeds the benefits of starting an aspirin regime. This seems to be more significant with older patients.

edited to add: This doesn't have anything to do with Covid. This is an example of posters, sometimes unintentionally, misrepresenting studies. In this case the poster completely misstated the conclusion.

Gringrinngghost

Do the hosts decide what goes on the chroyn
Usually its up to the producer and the hosts but It depends on the type of situation. Usually Breaking News is up solely to the producer and then the hosts don't have say. Otherwise the host is involved as they are the managing editor of that program.

Gringrinngghost

Like we actually thought all cable news stations don’t lie. What a revelation! 🙂
breaking-news-for-real.gif

DisneyDebRob

That's not exactly an encouraging statement for knowing anything at all. You can replace ivermectin with pixie dust and it's just as valid.

Or, perhaps Tequila, Rum, Chocolate, or Mickey Bars, and it's still just as valid. Where's the study showing if Mickey Bars and Pixie Dust are a good preventative? That would at least fit the story that COVID transmission is low or non existent at WDW. 🤔

It would be delicious too.
Hate when you make me use my reading glasses AND a magnifying glass to read your last sentences sometimes.🤣

Gringrinngghost

Since doctors aren't supposed to be prescribing the drug, for covid, the presumption that humans taking this for covid are generally taking the animal version has some logic.
Exactly, it's not even under a EUA from the FDA for this. People are literally suing to have doctors prescribe it. Doesn't sound to me like it's cleared for that particular use.

Disney Glimpses

For what it's worth (regarding Ivermectin), everything we have used to treat COVID-19 has at once point not been approved to treat COVID-19. It is a novel virus.

And furthermore, using Ivermectin to treat COVID-19 based on a small set of promising RCTs is frankly no different than the widespread off label use of medication in this country for the same reason; studies.

So yes, saying he took horse dewormer is a flat out lie. Especially since there are over a dozen legitimate studies under legitimate centers/institutions underway right now looking at the use of Ivermectin in COVID-19. Are you suggesting those are horse dewormer studies?

Regardless of your opinions on Joe Rogan, this is truthfully no different than me accusing you of eating cat food for lunch when you ate a tuna fish sandwich. Cats eat tuna, so technically it is true.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A panel of experts voted unanimously to recommend that the Food and Drug Administration authorize a booster dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.

In a 19-0 vote, the panel recommended that the booster dose come at least two months after initial immunization with one shot of the J&J vaccine. It applies to people 18 years and older.

During the meeting, J&J presented data that showed the protection of the single shot remained largely stable over time but that a second dose pushed protection to a higher level.

Dr. Peter Marks, director of FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, said the morning's presentations by J&J didn't include other relevant information about why a booster might be valuable after the initial immunization. "There are data suggesting the effectiveness of the vaccine is actually less robust than the company's presentation here," he said.

Marks then called on Dr. Amanda Cohn, a panelist who is also chief medical officer of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. She cited a study published by the CDC in September that showed the J&J vaccine had effectiveness of around 68% in keeping people out of the hospital for COVID-19 compared with more than 90% for Moderna's vaccine and about 77% for the Pfizer-BioNTech after about four months.

Cohn said the J&J vaccine's protection was substantially lower than the mRNA vaccines made by Moderna and Pfizer — even when waning of their protection is taken into account.

"I think, frankly, this was always a two-dose vaccine," said Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, said during the panel discussion before the vote.

The FDA isn't bound to follow the advisory panel's recommendation, but it usually does."

LittleBuford

For what it's worth (regarding Ivermectin), everything we have used to treat COVID-19 has at once point not been approved to treat COVID-19. It is a novel virus.

And furthermore, using Ivermectin to treat COVID-19 based on a small set of promising RCTs is frankly no different than the widespread off label use of medication in this country for the same reason; studies.

So yes, saying he took horse dewormer is a flat out lie. Especially since there are over a dozen legitimate studies under legitimate centers/institutions underway right now looking at the use of Ivermectin in COVID-19. Are you suggesting those are horse dewormer studies?

Regardless of your opinions on Joe Rogan, this is truthfully no different than me accusing you of eating cat food for lunch when you ate a tuna fish sandwich. Cats eat tuna, so technically it is true.
I suppose it depends what form of the drug he took. If it was the version designed for animals (which has a different formulation than that designed for humans), then I think it would be accurate to say he took horse dewormer, just as I would indeed be eating cat food if I bought and consumed a tuna product designed for cats rather than for humans.

You have it backwards. The new recommendation is people at high risk, including patients with a previous heart disease or heart attack should, consulting with their doctor, continue (or start) low dose aspirin regimen.

The issue is if people without any risk factors, particularly people over 60 should start a low dose aspirin regimen for prevention. The recent studies suggest the bleeding risk, for people without any risk factors, exceeds the benefits of starting an aspirin regime. This seems to be more significant with older patients.

edited to add: This doesn't have anything to do with Covid. This is an example of posters, sometimes unintentionally, misrepresenting studies. In this case the poster completely misstated the conclusion.

"Aspirin use may be associated with improved outcomes in hospitalized COVID-19 patients. However, a sufficiently powered randomized controlled trial is needed to assess whether a causal relationship exists between aspirin use and reduced lung injury and mortality in COVID-19 patients."

"The study highlights the potential importance of aspirin intake in reducing mortality risk among hospitalized and non-hospitalized COVID-19 patients. Apart from anti-inflammatory and anti-platelet effects, aspirin is known to have antiviral effects against seasonal and pathogenic coronaviruses, such as human coronavirus-229E and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV). Moreover, aspirin has been used as one of the therapeutic interventions in COVID-19 patients."

Disney Glimpses

I suppose it depends what form of the drug he took. If it was the version designed for animals (which has a different formulation than that designed for humans), then I think it would be accurate to say he took horse dewormer, just as I would indeed be eating cat food if I bought and consumed a tuna product designed for cats rather than for humans.
Sure, and as he said, it was prescribed for off label use by a doctor. The typical dose in a human is 3mg. In a horse, for the purposes of deworming, it would be 400x that.

He took a human prescription version

correcaminos

I'm trying to figure out how either was infected in the first place if they followed all precautions THEY had control of themselves. What left is the outside people who's vaccine status is unknown and majority around here do not wear masks in public. It sucks that people can't bother to vaccinate to lower the probability of vaccinated being infected in the first place. People suck.
Sadly nothing is 100% - I know some who have no clue still where they got it (vaccinated or not). Friend who had a super duper mild breakthrough case didn't actually out anyone but used it as a way to say to the classes to keep the masks on. Likely similar to another who was hit with covid in the house a no-low symptomatic unvaccinated gave it to another. Now keep in mind in those cases the unvaccinated could not due to age but it happens. The more we vaccinate the less we spread. It stinks so many adults are jerks about it.

LittleBuford

Sure, and as he said, it was prescribed for off label use by a doctor. The typical dose in a human is 3mg. In a horse, for the purposes of deworming, it would be 400x that.
Fair enough, then. You're right that describing what he took as horse dewormer is dishonest. I'm not convinced, however, that there is any good reason to take the drug at all as a treatment for COVID.

Disney Glimpses

Fair enough, then. You're right that describing what he took as horse dewormer is dishonest. I'm not convinced, however, that there is any good reason to take the drug at all as a treatment for COVID.
Agreed. And on the opposite side, those who are peddling that "it worked" are conveniently omitting the fact that he also took monoclonal antibodies which are proven to be substantially effective. It's likely the ivermectin did nothing but because he is wealthy and has access to everything, he took everything.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's not exactly an encouraging statement for knowing anything at all. You can replace ivermectin with pixie dust and it's just as valid.

Or, perhaps Tequila, Rum, Chocolate, or Mickey Bars, and it's still just as valid. Where's the study showing if Mickey Bars and Pixie Dust are a good preventative? That would at least fit the story that COVID transmission is low or non existent at WDW. 🤔

It would be delicious too.

There are a lot of studies going on for it, so there must be some reason to believe it could possibly be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom