Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Back to COVID...

I wrote a few days ago that I thought molnuparivir (the oral COVID medication that Merck submitted to the FDA for EAU) would be more of a useful additional tool, than the game-changer that it's being touted as.

I've changed my opinion. Hospitals across the country right now are struggling with staffing issues, particularly nursing. The role for molnuparivir is essentially the same as the monoclonal antibody infusions we've been using in an attempt to keep people out of the hospital. The infusions, though, are very labor intensive from a nursing working hours perspective. Most health care organizations only have a limited ability to give outpatient infusions for any indication (cancer treatment centers being an exception), much less all the COVID-19 cases we've dealt with over the past year. Having an oral medication that a patient can easily take in the comfort of their own home will free up a whole lot of resources now tied down giving the monoclonal antibody infusions.

So, if the FDA gives the go-ahead, molnuparivir could take quite a bit of pressure off of many over-burdened hospitals.

And I still say Disney should mix it in their Dole Whip dispensers..

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Back to COVID...

I wrote a few days ago that I thought molnuparivir (the oral COVID medication that Merck submitted to the FDA for EAU) would be more of a useful additional tool, than the game-changer that it's being touted as.

I've changed my opinion. Hospitals across the country right now are struggling with staffing issues, particularly nursing. The role for molnuparivir is essentially the same as the monoclonal antibody infusions we've been using in an attempt to keep people out of the hospital. The infusions, though, are very labor intensive from a nursing working hours perspective. Most health care organizations only have a limited ability to give outpatient infusions for any indication (cancer treatment centers being an exeption), much less all the COVID-19 cases we've dealt with over the past year. Having an oral medication that a patient can easily take in the comfort of their own home will free up a whole lot of resources now tied down giving the monoclonal antibody infusions.

So, if the FDA gives the go-ahead, molnuparivir could take quite a bit of pressure off of many over-burdened hospitals.

And I still say Disney should mix it in their Dole Whip dispensers..
Step dad spent 12hrs waiting in the emergency room for a brain scan and to see the on call doctor (obvious I'm not in the medical field) due to no staff available. This was after his family doctor called ahead to put in information and was due to him falling multiple times in a day and wanting to rule out anything that could kill him before office opened again.
Mom had the antibodies infusion done couple weeks back and they had a separate room usually used for cancer treatment set up for the infusions. Doctor had said plan on at least half the day for the treatment. Truth was is was 20 minutes of treatment, 30 minutes of observation for side effects. Half day there was due to staffing issues.

Nubs70

Much moreso for an ultra-niche business like one that manufactures equipment for water parks. Maybe this also explains some of Disney's maintenance problems of late (or maybe just Chapek being Chapek...).
Procurement of basic chemicals to produce base stock for ultra niche parts is a problem. If OTR trucking capacity is redirected to unclog the US ports, value added manufacturing in the US will be decimated.

Heppenheimer

Dr.Gupta sat down with Joe Rogan for a 3 hr interview. Pretty interesting read here on some of the highlights and what is being pushed as reasons for not getting the vaccine. A civil conversation with facts that shoot down some of people’s falsehoods.

I actually met Dr. Gupta when he visited the hospital at KAF in Afghanistan. He was a real gentleman. And unlike certain other physicians who go a little rogue once they get in front of the cameras (like a certain Dr. Oz and a former ophthamologist from Kentucky), he still seems to take his role as a physician seriously.

JoeCamel

Dr.Gupta sat down with Joe Rogan for a 3 hr interview. Pretty interesting read here on some of the highlights and what is being pushed as reasons for not getting the vaccine. A civil conversation with facts that shoot down some of people’s falsehoods.

So like most here he feels both sides are locked and no one is changing anyone's mind. Sad it has come to a point where fiction wins over fact and 30,000 a month die from a preventable virus.

DisneyCane

So like most here he feels both sides are locked and no one is changing anyone's mind. Sad it has come to a point where fiction wins over fact and 30,000 a month die from a preventable virus.
Yet you include a fiction in your comment. This virus is not preventable. Probably around 90% of the deaths could be prevented, maybe even 95% but it is completely false to say that SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 are preventable. This isn't HIV where certain measures make it nearly 100% that you will never be infected.

JoeCamel

Dan Deesnee

Good news for Florida and WDW. Maybe that Orange County state of emergency can be lifted before years end:

1634230265985.png

DisneyCane

Good news for Florida and WDW. Maybe that Orange County state of emergency can be lifted before years end:

View attachment 593463
The Emergency Order that keeps getting renewed doesn't actually do anything. I don't even mean from the standpoint of being able to be invalidated. It literally just appoints Mayor Demmings as the Director of Emergency Management and waives some legal formalities and procedures that would normally be required of the county.

I don't know why there is so much focus on it being in place.

ABQ

So happy that Rogan was not about to let Gupta's network get away without at least Gupta himself coming clean on the lies they spread about Rogan's treatment for Covid.

Heelz2315

Point 5 paragraph 2 is false based upon CDC guidance given after Cape Cod breakout of July 2021
IMO the CDC connected ALOT of dots to come out with "breakthrough cases spread Covid" on July 27. More and more studies are showing that fully vaccinated people with a breakthrough cases are not likely to spread it. I thought then as I think now, they jumped the gun and bowed to a lot of pressure to reinstate masks indoors. That study over the 4th was not peer reviewed that I know of.

Here's the latest that contracts them. now will the CDC reverse course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom