Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

I don't know one way or the other if the claims made in that piece are true but it sure reads like a hit piece with all the buzz words.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is this a serious question? It’s pretty obvious isn’t it? Wearing a mask while indoors and not eating is still better protection than not wearing it at all. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. It’s a compromise that allows indoor dining to be open. Would you prefer closing all indoor dining then since it’s not possible to eat with a mask on? That’s the alternative. Full lockdowns where nobody leaves their homes would be the most safe thing but nobody (very few people?) actually want that so we develop policy that allows us to interact in a way that’s as safe as practical.

As far as WDW goes when you are in a store or in a ride queue or on a bus or monorail you are closer to people than while seated at a table in a restaurant. It was better when the spacing was guaranteed to be at least 6 feet but I found most restaurants at WDW that I ate in in August still had pretty good spacing overall. While seated your biggest risk is still the party you are eating with since they are at your table. Waiters and other passers by have their mask on which gives you a level of protection, not as good as both people being masked but better than neither. Again, a compromise that makes things safer while not being overly restrictive.

This is like the argument people made back at the start of lockdowns, "why is it safe to into a supermarket, but not safe to go into a clothing of toy story." Obviously the answer was, they are equally unsafe, but closing supermarkets would lead to even bigger problems then is solves.

DisneyCane

Who would have thought that maybe mandates might work. Let’s bring in passports and really get this vaccine kicking.
The first County in FL to go from red to orange on the CDC community transmission map was Hendry county. There are only 57% of eligible vaccinated and around a month ago they had 1400 cases per 100k for a week with a 28% new test positivity. Maybe natural immunity works also albeit with more illness and death before the finish line.

Vegas Disney Fan

CDC guidance, the lawyers will have someone to point to if things go south.

I’d say publicists rather than lawyers but otherwise I totally agree, Disney has been very vocal about following the CDC guidelines, from a PR perspective it’s the safest approach because no matter what happens they can say they are following the experts advice.

As far as I know the CDC guidelines haven’t changed so I’d think the threshold is still the 5% for x number of weeks. I think the day the CDC says they aren’t needed Disney will change their rules again.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Johnson & Johnson said on Tuesday it had submitted data to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for emergency use authorization of a booster shot of its Covid-19 vaccine in people aged 18 years and older."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’d say publicists rather than lawyers but otherwise I totally agree, Disney has been very vocal about following the CDC guidelines, from a PR perspective it’s the safest approach because no matter what happens they can say they are following the experts advice.

As far as I know the CDC guidelines haven’t changed so I’d think the threshold is still the 5% for x number of weeks. I think the day the CDC says they aren’t needed Disney will change their rules again.
Yeah, I’d say fear of damage to brand image is way more important than fear of a lawsuit. Disney gets sued just about every day for some nonsense. They have in house lawyers and law firms ready to go. During this whole pandemic Disney has gone out of its way to differentiate itself from local competitors in FL by being the family friendly and “safe” option. This will become even more pronounced when they can say all CMs are fully vaccinated. They will remove mitigations when they think their target audience doesn’t feel they are necessary anymore. They won’t throw away all of the good will they gained throughout this pandemic to rush a change away from indoor masks. Back in the Spring and early Summer when Disney acted the vast majority of Americans supported the removal of mitigations. I think that sentiment has changed and many people (especially those with unvaccinated children) are far more cautious today with delta and the recent surge we saw in cases.

I think if we see national case numbers drop down to 10-20K cases a day and deaths and hospitalizations drop down to or below the June levels and more kids are vaccinated then most people will support removal of more mitigations. I think if we continue vaccinating people and we get the kids 5-11 approval we could get to that point in a few months. The only wildcard is if there’s a Winter surge and if so that may delay us into Q1. I don’t think a large Winter surge is guaranteed but I know some disagree. We shall see. Either way I can’t see Disney keeping mitigations around by next Spring if the numbers look good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Florida cases has now fallen 16% below New York. They are now at 21 per 100k and about to fall into the teens and below NJ. It is only a matter of a few weeks before Florida falls into single digits.
FL is looking good 👍. NY and NJ are still down 7% and 21% over the last 14 days so the trend is moving in the right direction. Only 5 states are showing a double digit percent increase in cases over 14 days. The delta wave appears to be declining nationwide but some states got a later start so their decline will take a little longer. We know by now that this virus works in waves and once they ramp up it takes some time to ramp back down.

ABQ

This is so sad. To those who say COVID doesn't affect kids...yeah it does.
That People article left quite a bit out regarding what that child allegedly had to go through.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Below are Texas hospitalization numbers as a comparison to Florida. 7 day average for cases is around 9k at the moment, or 31.29 per 100K. Cases peaked at just around 20k a day. Hospitalizations peaked at just under 14K. Quite a roller coaster.

1633443105809.png

aliceismad

That People article left quite a bit out regarding what that child allegedly had to go through.
The sad thing is that many people will look at this sweet child and say "well, she was overweight, so that can't happen to my kid." I keep hearing excuses like that for every child who has died or has covid complications. Or "well, it's so rare."

Yes, the rate of death and rate of complications is still small for children, but it's growing. Of course we can't keep children in a bubble. But we can get vaccinated and wear masks and socially distance and keep kids in pods to prevent spread. Who knows what could come, or not, in future variants.

correcaminos

The sad thing is that many people will look at this sweet child and say "well, she was overweight, so that can't happen to my kid." I keep hearing excuses like that for every child who has died or has covid complications. Or "well, it's so rare."

Yes, the rate of death and rate of complications is still small for children, but it's growing. Of course we can't keep children in a bubble. But we can get vaccinated and wear masks and socially distance and keep kids in pods to prevent spread. Who knows what could come, or not, in future variants.
I almost didn't post about my loved one's friend for that reason. Even still it didn't garner as much sympathy. The kid is still fighting for his life a month after catching covid. Other kids are suffering too. A classmate missed an important head injury diagnosis because the hospital wait times were so long.

So it trickles down. If we can just vaccinate when possible, we'll be better off eventually. Not surprisingly low vaccination rates in adults lead to higher covid rates in children https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...d-covid-hospital-cases-low-vaccination-states

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Why can't all that be discussed?
  • It is tragic that this child died. It is hard to even imagine what these parents are going through. Impossible really.
  • It seems whatever happened at the school needs to be determined.
  • Child deaths due to COVID are very rare, but as this case shows, they can still occur. Nothing is 100%
  • If more adults stepped up and got vaccinated, we could reduce spread and prevent some of these instances from occurring. This is where I personally put much of the blame (without knowing what occurred specifically at school). I bolded this for a reason. It is probably the easiest thing to do to protect yourself, your family, others...and children. Drives me crazy.
  • Delta spreads more easily among children (and everyone really) than alpha. The good news here is that it is declining across most of the country, at least for now.
  • According to the CDC, childhood obesity does make a child much more susceptible to severe illness. It is an underlying condition. It doesn't make this case any less tragic, and it doesn't excuse her death or automatically mean, "well, if she didn't have this issue, she would most certainly be alive today. But it is reality of illness whether we like to admit it or not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why can't all that be discussed?
  • It is tragic that this child died. It is hard to even imagine what these parents are going through. Impossible really.
  • It seems whatever happened at the school needs to be determined.
  • Child deaths due to COVID are very rare, but as this case shows, they can still occur. Nothing is 100%
  • If more adults stepped up and got vaccinated, we could reduce spread and prevent some of these instances from occurring. This is where I personally put much of the blame (without knowing what occurred specifically at school). I bolded this for a reason. It is probably the easiest thing to do to protect yourself, your family, others...and children. Drives me crazy.
  • Delta spreads more easily among children (and everyone really) than alpha. The good news here is that it is declining across most of the country, at least for now.
  • According to the CDC, childhood obesity does make a child much more susceptible to severe illness. It is an underlying condition. It doesn't make this case any less tragic, and it doesn't excuse her death or automatically mean, "well, if she didn't have this issue, she would most certainly be alive today. But it is reality of illness whether we like to admit it or not.
The original article said she had no underlying medical conditions. Because someone isn’t skinny doesn‘t mean they are obese.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The original article said she had no underlying medical conditions. Because someone isn’t skinny doesn‘t mean they are obese.
That’s what the parents said, yes. I get that. I don’t want to get into a back and forth about it too much. A child is dead. I was just responding to someone’s post who brought up the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom