Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

They did from mid May to late July, then were brought back. If I were a betting man I wouldn't think they'd be dropped again till Spring.
Good. I'm all for masks indoors regardless of vaccination status. At least til next summer. We've had masks in place in most of Canada since Covid started. Most people don't make such a big deal about them. I've been to my local amusement park multiple times this summer and no issue with wearing a mask. IMO too many make too big a deal about it.

Chi84

Premium Member
They did from mid May to late July, then were brought back. If I were a betting man I wouldn't think they'd be dropped again till Spring.
Oh, I'll take that bet. So many people here were convinced Disney would never drop masks until the vaccines were available to children.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Did they drop it. Sorry. Just out of the loop.
They dropped it well short of the 70% number using the under 5% positivity loophole. The problem with that is within weeks of dropping indoor mask requirements the percent positive went over 5% and vaccinations were well below 70%. Since percent positive fluctuates it’s a much less reliable metric if you want a more linear plan of drop the mitigation and not bring it back. Legally in FL the indoor mask requirement for Orange County has no backing since the Governor stripped local governments of any control over managing their own covid protocols. I believe that went into effect July 1 so in theory if Disney wanted to drop indoor masks right now there is nothing Orange County can do (see Universal and SeaWorld). Since Disney acted shortly after Orange County dropped the local requirement some have hypothesized that they would do it again once Orange County reaches 5% positivity. I think the 70% vaccination number is out the door now anyway since we all know that’s not enough with delta now. That was a metric established before delta took hold.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It's an off-site replacement for the Wonders of Life. Book your own COVID package, and you can experience your own respiratory distress, ending in intubation and video conferences with your friends and family!
Not really familiar with this IP, but I've got to say I now wonder if my initial reaction was off. Doesn't sound like fun. Could the video conferences be with a Disney character?

Oh, I'll take that bet. So many people here were convinced Disney would never drop masks until the vaccines were available to children.
I find it funny that its okay to unmask while eating/drinking indoors in restaurants, or eating/drinking on a plane, but while not eating/drinking put the mask back on. I guess the Covid virus won't leave you while you are doing this activity.

Does Universal , Sea World and other parks in Orlando area require masking indoors? With Orange county positivity rate getting to the 5% hopefully Disney follows their lead. I have not read of any major super spreader event from those parks.

A very positive article in NY Times!

"The share of Americans 12 and over who have received at least one vaccine shot has reached 76 percent, and the growing number of vaccine mandates — along with the likely authorization of the Pfizer vaccine for children ages 5 to 11 — will increase the number of vaccinations this fall. Almost as important, something like one-half of Americans have probably had the Covid virus already, giving them some natural immunity."

Wendy Pleakley

I find it funny that its okay to unmask while eating/drinking indoors in restaurants, or eating/drinking on a plane, but while not eating/drinking put the mask back on. I guess the Covid virus won't leave you while you are doing this activity.

Does Universal , Sea World and other parks in Orlando area require masking indoors? With Orange county positivity rate getting to the 5% hopefully Disney follows their lead. I have not read of any major super spreader event from those parks.

I see the talking points from 2020 are alive and well.

Figgy1

Premium Member

Last I read UNI requires masks indoors for employees

sullyinMT

It's the difference between "every little bit helps" and "all or nothing." Spikes may still occur in locales that take the "every little bit" approach, but CO hasn't been as severe as ID or MT in this current spike. Much like CA had a late summer/early fall surge but it hasn't materialized to the public health detriment like FL saw recently. This isn't "lockdowns or nothing," all of the well-performing states are open for all intents and purposes. But they take some degree of the "try something" approach. But, hey

happy robin hood GIF

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I guess you can not explain why it is okay to not wear the mask indoors for most of the time while in crowded restaurant.
I imagine the argument is wearing masks indoors while not eating is better and more preventative than not wearing masks indoors at all? I don't want to get into the back and forth on this again, mainly because people get huffy when you challenge where masks are useful. We have been down that road many times here...

mmascari

Last I read UNI requires masks indoors for employees
One assumes that sick employees create staffing issues. Sick guests, who probably leave before showing symptoms, no so much.

I guess you can not explain why it is okay to not wear the mask indoors for most of the time while in crowded restaurant.
In an area of high transmission, eating in a crowded restaurant is a risky proposition. A lot more risk if you're not vaccinated, but still risky even if you are if the community transmission rate is high enough.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is this a serious question? It’s pretty obvious isn’t it? Wearing a mask while indoors and not eating is still better protection than not wearing it at all. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. It’s a compromise that allows indoor dining to be open. Would you prefer closing all indoor dining then since it’s not possible to eat with a mask on? That’s the alternative. Full lockdowns where nobody leaves their homes would be the most safe thing but nobody (very few people?) actually want that so we develop policy that allows us to interact in a way that’s as safe as practical.

As far as WDW goes when you are in a store or in a ride queue or on a bus or monorail you are closer to people than while seated at a table in a restaurant. It was better when the spacing was guaranteed to be at least 6 feet but I found most restaurants at WDW that I ate in in August still had pretty good spacing overall. While seated your biggest risk is still the party you are eating with since they are at your table. Waiters and other passers by have their mask on which gives you a level of protection, not as good as both people being masked but better than neither. Again, a compromise that makes things safer while not being overly restrictive.

Lilofan

Is this a serious question? It’s pretty obvious isn’t it? Wearing a mask while indoors and not eating is still better protection than not wearing it at all. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. It’s a compromise that allows indoor dining to be open. Would you prefer closing all indoor dining then since it’s not possible to eat with a mask on? That’s the alternative. Full lockdowns where nobody leaves their homes would be the most safe thing but nobody (very few people?) actually want that so we develop policy that allows us to interact in a way that’s as safe as practical.

As far as WDW goes when you are in a store or in a ride queue or on a bus or monorail you are closer to people than while seated at a table in a restaurant. It was better when the spacing was guaranteed to be at least 6 feet but I found most restaurants at WDW that I ate in in August still had pretty good spacing overall. While seated your biggest risk is still the party you are eating with since they are at your table. Waiters and other passers by have their mask on which gives you a level of protection, not as good as both people being masked but better than neither. Again, a compromise that makes things safer while not being overly restrictive.
A unique part about eating at Sci Fi Drive In at DHS while eating and staring at the big screen watching those corny B&W movies is all guests are facing forward.

Wendy Pleakley

It's not that complicated.

Wear a mask as much as possible especially when distancing isn't possible.

No one is arguing that masks can be used 100% of the time. It's about minimizing risk, not eliminating it completely.

Are crowded restaurants a thing? Every restaurant I still go to has reduced seating and/or plexiglass between tables. Plus vaccine check at the door.

SSH

Are crowded restaurants a thing? Every restaurant I still go to has reduced seating and/or plexiglass between tables. Plus vaccine check at the door.
In Florida, yes. Big time. Every restaurant I've passed or go to is almost always jam packed with long waits for tables. The waiting areas where people congregate are packed and many don't wear masks. Few places here require it anymore. And it's illegal to ask anyone if they're vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In Florida, yes. Big time. Every restaurant I've passed or go to is almost always jam packed with long waits for tables. The waiting areas where people congregate are packed and many don't wear masks. Few places here require it anymore. And it's illegal to ask anyone if they're vaccinated.
It’s technically not illegal to ask for vaccine status, a business just cannot deny access based solely on it. An easy work around which is still legal would be to require a negative Covid test to enter the restaurant and then allow an exception if you show proof of vaccination. That would not violate the FL law since an unvaccinated person is not being denied access. Disney could implement that as their plan if they wanted and it would be perfectly legal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A unique part about eating at Sci Fi Drive In at DHS while eating and staring at the big screen watching those corny B&W movies is all guests are facing forward.
We ate at Sci-Fi while we were there and since we had 8 people we got one of those larger cars towards the back. There wasn‘t another table within 10 feet of us. Pretty well spaced naturally. The only thing close together were the stand alone tables in the very back that weren’t actual cars. They have a few of those but they were empty while we were there so maybe not using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom