Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

I would argue that way too many people who are vaccinated are not doing enough to make that known. 76% of eligible people 12+ have gotten at least 1 dose so only 24% haven‘t gone. No way 76% of people are actively supporting the vaccination effort. When we hear the arguments a lot of places there is a perception that the pro/anti groups are split something like 50/50. The reality is the vast majority of people have accepted the vaccines and have gone in to take it. I think for some communities it would help those who are reluctant if their peers who are fully vaccinated talked about it more. Some big name NBA players have recently come out and talked about it. That helps. For the politics crowd it’s a shame some of the talking heads who push resistance to the vaccine don’t talk about the fact that they are fully vaccinated themselves.
By the numbers provided, 26% have gotten vaccinated but a lumped into the antivax group. What is the problem with those that have accepted and injested the vaccine bit still have questions?

Injestion of the vaccine is a personal and private matter between you and your personal physician not some magnanimous talking head in DC.

EpcoTim

I would argue that way too many people who are vaccinated are not doing enough to make that known. 76% of eligible people 12+ have gotten at least 1 dose so only 24% haven‘t gone. No way 76% of people are actively supporting the vaccination effort. When we hear the arguments a lot of places there is a perception that the pro/anti groups are split something like 50/50. The reality is the vast majority of people have accepted the vaccines and have gone in to take it. I think for some communities it would help those who are reluctant if their peers who are fully vaccinated talked about it more. Some big name NBA players have recently come out and talked about it. That helps. For the politics crowd it’s a shame some of the talking heads who push resistance to the vaccine don’t talk about the fact that they are fully vaccinated themselves.

I agree with some of this, but the vaxx side has taken this holier-than-thou and YOU MUST VAXX OR ELSE mentality that to me just seems way out of touch. People don’t respond to that. People want to make their own decisions, people want to have their opinions heard and people want to be treated like the individuals that they are. This thread is proof enough that none of those things are happening. It’s even crossed over into beards which I find hilarious.

correcaminos

On still "too new", did Pfizer not track the immunity longevity of the initial trial participants?I'd they had, we would have known about this longevity issue about 1-2 months ago and allow us to plan accordingly. My clock runs out on 11/1.
Been tracking me over a year now. Blood tests and weekly diaries. At 6 months we had robust immune responses. What are you trying to imply now?
From 2 months ago https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...-company-argues-that-boosters-will-be-needed/
Maybe people are just sick of being told many different things by scientists and governments and then changed and backtracked on. Yes, many of the frustrated understand much of the science isn’t exact and things do change…but be very up front at the beginning and don’t blow sunshine up everyone’s skirt. For me frustration comes from the message, not the facts. I was fully vaccinated back at the end of March, and was just yesterday approved for my booster. I didn’t run out and scheme my way to a third dose. I did what I was supposed to and consulted my physician. For those of us that do indeed play by the rules of vaccine and mask recommendations this is also maddening to see people getting an unauthorized third dose.

I am fully aware of some of the whacky anti-vax behavior and excuses…non of which is at all shocking to me. I don’t feel that being vaccinated is in any way burdening me with the unvaccinated. I do struggle with any type National or even state mandates…I feel those are better handled by people on the ground level at the county level.

So as someone who is clearly not an anti-vaxer, I’m am sick of some of the zealot-like behavior being exhibited from what I see as the opposite side of the strong anti-vax nuts. Here is an example…now I have to edit this a bit because I went to put a link to a Slate article from a couple of days ago, but it no longer exists and has been replaced with a story about a person who’s pandemic puppy is causing them anxiety. I’ll post a pic of the link itself below, but it was about parents worried their son asking a girl to a dance. They thought the parents might be conservative Christians and therefore might be anti-vax and who knew what the son might bring home from her. I mean this is insanity, just as much so as the other end of whacked.
View attachment 590607

Crazy behavior and misinformation is not exclusive to the anti-vax people. Just take the physician that flat out lied about ivermectin overdose patients flooding Oklahoma emergency departments.
What you are talking about is not what I am. I don't care who you are. Changing as the situation evolves is not the same.

I understand people only wanting a relationship with a vaxxed person. I also know that asking is triggering to some. I've had creeps come to my house to chew us out because kids were asking each other. I've had others scold me because as a parent coordinator for our fall production, I'm not pushing for a mask mandate. So I have a procedure in place with my principal on what to do if anyone pushes agendas. It's not my call.

But people are insane. I get why some worry. I get why some who fall under a certain umbrella are thought to be unvaxxed (anecdotally every single person I personally know who is not covid vaccinated falls under that). I get the worries of how to handle it. It's insane to me how crazy some act.

I'm prepared with 700 masks for kids just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
By the numbers provided, 26% have gotten vaccinated but a lumped into the antivax group. What is the problem with those that have accepted and injested the vaccine bit still have questions?

Injestion of the vaccine is a personal and private matter between you and your personal physician not some magnanimous talking head in DC.
I have no issue with anyone who is vaccinated having questions or doubts. What I have an issue with is people who are fully vaccinated then spreading false or misleading information that then encourages others to not get vaccinated. Vaccination isn‘t an individual thing it’s a society thing. For a vaccine to do what’s intended you need a high enough percent of people vaccinated. So while each individual has a right to decide if they want to be vaccinated the vaccines can only succeed if enough people choose to get them so that’s where it stops being a personal choice.
I agree with some of this, but the vaxx side has taken this holier-than-thou and YOU MUST VAXX OR ELSE mentality that to me just seems way out of touch. People don’t respond to that. People want to make their own decisions, people want to have their opinions heard and people want to be treated like the individuals that they are. This thread is proof enough that none of those things are happening. It’s even crossed over into beards which I find hilarious.
It works both ways. Some extreme people on the vaxx side have taken that mentality but not everyone who is vaccinated and encouraging others to get the shot. Just like not everyone who is unvaccinated is a flat earther who denies science.

I don’t think you were around as much in the Spring and before in this thread, but I had a similar mindset about letting people make their own choice. I opposed vaccine passports and didn’t think mandates were necessary because I sincerely felt we’d get enough people vaccinated on their own. I was wrong. It didn’t happen that way. We tried reasoning, bribing, educating and any other method to convince people the vaccines were safe and that people should get them. It worked for many people. I have some good friends who were opposed and then on the fence who eventually came around. Vaccines have been available for anyone who wants one since April. They are fully approved by the FDA now (at least Pfizer’s is). They have over a year of safety data from the original trial participants and 6.3B shots have been given worldwide. There’s nothing left to wait for. Nothing left to research. If people haven’t gone yet they need a nudge and that’s why the plan has shifted to passports and workplace mandates. Once that phase is over we shift to something else. I still believe we will get to “enough people vaccinated”. I don’t know what that number is and I don’t think we will know we hit it until months later, but we will get there.

Lilofan

People that are out of touch refuse to believe that this is pandemic of the unvaccinated and rightly so they deserve to lose their jobs if they don't comply with their company policy. You want to make your own decisions and refuse to get vaccinated?, then face the music when you lose your job or get used to that long straw being up your nose weekly or be denied entrance to certain locations because you are unvax.

Nubs70

Been tracking me over a year now. Blood tests and weekly diaries. At 6 months we had robust immune responses. What are you trying to imply now?
From 2 months ago https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...-company-argues-that-boosters-will-be-needed/

Implying nothing, discussing an article from Reuters, a publication of record, that states Pfizer antibodies are gone after 7 months as justification for boosters. Yes, the sample size sucks. Yet I am labeled as an antivaxxer, the source of misinformation.

Maybe your problem is not with me but should be with Reuters for publishing a preprint study. If there were such a thing as journalistic ethics, journalists would not publish preprint studies.

Heppenheimer

Maybe people are just sick of being told many different things by scientists and governments and then changed and backtracked on. Yes, many of the frustrated understand much of the science isn’t exact and things do change…but be very up front at the beginning and don’t blow sunshine up everyone’s skirt. For me frustration comes from the message, not the facts. I was fully vaccinated back at the end of March, and was just yesterday approved for my booster. I didn’t run out and scheme my way to a third dose. I did what I was supposed to and consulted my physician. For those of us that do indeed play by the rules of vaccine and mask recommendations this is also maddening to see people getting an unauthorized third dose.

I am fully aware of some of the whacky anti-vax behavior and excuses…non of which is at all shocking to me. I don’t feel that being vaccinated is in any way burdening me with the unvaccinated. I do struggle with any type National or even state mandates…I feel those are better handled by people on the ground level at the county level.

So as someone who is clearly not an anti-vaxer, I’m am sick of some of the zealot-like behavior being exhibited from what I see as the opposite side of the strong anti-vax nuts. Here is an example…now I have to edit this a bit because I went to put a link to a Slate article from a couple of days ago, but it no longer exists and has been replaced with a story about a person who’s pandemic puppy is causing them anxiety. I’ll post a pic of the link itself below, but it was about parents worried their son asking a girl to a dance. They thought the parents might be conservative Christians and therefore might be anti-vax and who knew what the son might bring home from her. I mean this is insanity, just as much so as the other end of whacked.
View attachment 590607

Crazy behavior and misinformation is not exclusive to the anti-vax people. Just take the physician that flat out lied about ivermectin overdose patients flooding Oklahoma emergency departments.
Slate has morphed into the Newsmax of the left. I sometimes read it for a laugh, but it hasn't been a website to take seriously in about a decade.

Timmay

Slate has morphed into the Newsmax of the left. I sometimes read it for a laugh, but it hasn't been a website to take seriously in about a decade.
And still people listen and take heart to both. One is as dangerous as the other…yet really only one gets deeply scrutinized.

Jrb1979

And still people listen and take heart to both. One is as dangerous as the other…yet really only one gets deeply scrutinized.
For me all these underground news sites IMO are garbage. Things like Rebel news. All they do is publish fake news to stir up the anti vaxxers

DisneyCane

The ‘issue’ is not longevity against Alpha. It’s still quite effective over a longer period of time. It’s been Delta.

I’m not sure why people still don’t understand that the variant changed the equation.
Nobody knows that because Delta is the dominant strain by far so very few people are infected with anything else.

Disney Analyst

This was sent out from my family doctor in her fall email newsletter. Grateful to her for combatting all the noise out there with fact and science.

“I invite you all to take a look at a youtube clip that excellently presents the data. Its long- about 2 hours- but at the start it lists the topics that are talked about and the clip is then divided into chapters so you can go to the topic that interets you. "Is the vaccine safe when it was made so quickly?", "Aren't spike proteins dangerous so how can the vaccine be safe?", "What about ivermectin?", "Does the vaccine damage fertility?" Please feel free to share the clip with others. It is so important that the science is shared, not ancedotal mis-information.”

Chi84

Premium Member
Seems like the last few days - for some reason - have devolved into nothing more than one-on-one arguments and personal attacks. Some people thrive on that kind of thing. And it’s hard not to take the bait.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I mean. Am I wrong? What purpose has this thread served? Ask yourself has this thread benefited the community in any way? Have there been some informative conversions? Yes, during the first 2 months. Otherwise, no. I’ve seen nothing but divisiveness and nastiness towards each other.
No one is forcing you to read it. Good information and updates continue to be posted.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
No one is forcing you to read it. Good information and updates continue to be posted.
Common response, I usually don’t but it seems it doesn’t solve the issue that this thread has done nothing to benefit the community. Unfortunately I understand nothing will happen and this thread will continue for another 4 years, same arguments, no one conceding anything and the wheel will keep turning.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
i’ll admit there’s been some back & forth on the last few pages, but there’s been some good info here as well. when the thread is on topic, it’s pretty informative.
Understood. This concern of mine is that I see this decisivness creeping into other threads and over the past few years, it just seems folks can’t be civil with each other. This was one of the main reasons I decided to join and stay on these boards, I really enjoyed the civil conversation, the respect towards each other, even if we don’t agree, etc. maybe those days are gone?

Chi84

Premium Member
Understood. This concern of mine is that I see this decisivness creeping into other threads and over the past few years, it just seems folks can’t be civil with each other. This was one of the main reasons I decided to join and stay on these boards, I really enjoyed the civil conversation, the respect towards each other, even if we don’t agree, etc. maybe those days are gone?
I don't think those days are gone. Every once in awhile someone (usually new) comes in and starts trolling for arguments, which results in a lot of one-on-one disputes. They may not even be aware of the forum rules prohibiting arguing and personal attacks. It's best not to respond, but almost impossible not to when you're the one being attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom