• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

danlb_2000

Please explain this to me I’m still lost on this thing.

You take 20 people and put them in a room for 5 hours - all masked.

Halfway thru this time together, they all take of their masks for 30 minutes.

Are they protected from transmission?

Masks don't prevent transmission, they reduce it. So the 30 minutes unmasked doesn't undo the 5 hours masked. And if we are only concerned about lunch, other measures can be put in place to keep kids distanced to reduce the spread.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah, my post wasn’t an attempt to say it was negative or positive, just the facts. To take it out of the context of percents, 104M adults in the US are not currently fully vaccinated. Maybe 8-10M have 1 shot and are in the process of completing the series but that’s still quite a few people left without protection. If we assume somewhere close to 20% of the population has had Covid (10% tested positive and 10% more untested) and we also assume that the percent is the same in the vaccinated and unvaccinated population then 10-20% of those unvaccinated adults has natural immunity. That’s still only 10-20M people meaning 80-90M adults right now are not vaccinated or naturally immune :(
Hopefully by Fall as they are improving better as many people will be vaccinating as possible!

Angel Ariel

Some? I am pretty sure the evidence points to a crap ton. Especially those that didn’t have the proper support structure at home.
There’s also those who may have done well academically remotely, but whose mental health plummeted. Which is equally important to consider.

It’s all complicated. People want simple black and white answers, but there just aren’t any. At this point in the pandemic at least that should be clear.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I would prefer no masks at school. But whatever they think they need to do to go in person full time, that’s fine. Get them all in class. Remote should be gone in 99% of cases.

danlb_2000

All I will say is I’ve read reports that you can delta in seconds.

I don’t understand the better than nothing mentality.

Better than nothing is not good enough.

If your child is at lunch with a delta variant classmate the data suggests they will catch it in seconds.

The only thing that matters is what will actually keep your kid safe, not what is your best “Well I tried” attempt at it.

Two reports of "delta transmission in seconds" doesn't make it a fact. If it could regularly be transmitted in seconds I think we would be seeing far more cases.

There is no reasonable method of 100% preventing the risk of infection, so we are left with no choice but to judge if mitigations are good enough or not.

ImperfectPixie

Two reports of "delta transmission in seconds" doesn't make it a fact. If it could regularly be transmitted in seconds I think we would be seeing far more cases.
Well...if that really did happen (which I think is possible, given where it happened and the contact tracing going on there), that doesn't necessarily mean it's considered a common occurrence. So it may be fact, yet be rare.

Trauma

Masks don't prevent transmission, they reduce it. So the 30 minutes unmasked doesn't undo the 5 hours masked. And if we are only concerned about lunch, other measures can be put in place to keep kids distanced to reduce the spread.
Yeah I would say it’s undone if your kid comes home sick.

But hey at least they where protected until they weren’t.

We did the best we could !!

lazyboy97o

You keep framing everything as one and done. It isn’t that one virus gets in you and you’re suddenly shedding new viruses like a fire hose. A person needs to have so much exposure before getting sick and how much an infected person sheds is going to vary person-to-person and through the course of infection.

danlb_2000

Yeah I would say it’s undone if your kid comes home sick.

But hey at least they where protected until they weren’t.

We did the best we could !!

I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you did, would you make them ware a mask 24/7 when they are at home?

Trauma

I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you did, would you make them ware a mask 24/7 when they are at home?
No My family is fully vaccinated.

However if I had kids too young to get vaccinated, and I thought they where at risk, they would be remote learning or homeschooled.

Wendy Pleakley

This discussion reminds me of memes like the following that have circulated around:

1626975049546.png

It's supposed to be this "gotcha" moment indicating the rules are silly, but are they?

Short of a full lockdown, we were never going to be completely isolated from other people.

If social distancing is possible, like in a line-up, do it. If it's not possible, like on a plane, decide if the situation is worth the personal risk.

If I were to fly during the pandemic I'd still avoid close contact with people outside of the crowded plane. Is it 100% safe? Of course not, but it's safer than being in close quarters with people on the plane AND multiple people in all of the various lines prior to boarding.

Whether the school policy is the right one is up for debate, as is whether or not people should be flying at all, or visiting theme parks at all, etc. However, when we talk about these situations that carry some degree of risk, it's still smart to find ways to reduce that risk.

Compromise has always been the name of the game. WDW opened with masking and capacity limits, allowing people to work and enjoy some leisure while still taking steps to reduce to risk. That's why many people expressed concern when WDW made masks optional indoors. Few people were saying to shut it down completely, but were saying that given the situation the amount of risk mitigation is insufficient.

Trauma

For the record my daughter did not attend school
Last year.

Remote learning for her.

I would get the emails every freaking day with how many students tested positive that day.

Don’t tell me schools are safe just because you are wearing a mask.

Sorry I have the emails to prove otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom