• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

oceanbreeze77

Just because you don’t look at something doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Sort of like the pandemic.

And I bet a LOT of Disney execs have a twitter addiction right about now.
side note: its amazing (and a sign of the times) how twitter has become a primary news source. Its literally right at your fingertips right as its happening

DisneyYorkian74

Hopefully the spike dies down in all those places and cases start to fall soon

The MAJOR issue that FL has faced over the past month when the numbers first started to rise is that there hasn’t been any action taken to mitigate and handle this virus so that this ‘spike’ will die down.

There’s absolutely no reason why it should even start to diminish in any way.

Since June - WDW has re-opened, NBA is still planned to go ahead and restart, schools have been ordered to re-open, the RNC convention will take place, and still no Mask mandate...

This is just going to get worse and worse.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The MAJOR issue that FL has faced over the past month when the numbers first started to rise is that there hasn’t been any action taken to mitigate and handle this virus so that this ‘spike’ will die down.

Since June - WDW has re-opened, NBA is still planned to go ahead and restart, schools have been ordered to re-open, the RNC convention will take place, and still no Mask mandate...

Yeah, you are probably right. I was trying to be more optimistic. I have no reason based in facts to think it will die down...just hope. I also hoped that the virus would be seasonal and die off in the summer or maybe even just disappear like SARS did. You can see how much good hope has gotten me :(

I think it’s inevitable that FL will pass NY by the end of July in total cases, the only open question is will the recent pull back and mask rules in CA and TX help to slow down their spread leaving FL alone in the “top spot” or will it be CA then FL/TX in the top 3 spots overall.

Casper Gutman

The only real questions I have are: How long does it take before folks in power HAVE to take action, and whether WDW or Florida shuts down first.

I am quite convinced the RNC convention won't take place (a LOT of prominent members have already announced they won't attend and organizers started backing away from the idea over the last few days) and schools in Florida will not reopen in person in Fall. I'm less sure about the NBA, because I think WDW shuts down by mid-August or sooner, and I don't know how that will effect those plans.

Casper Gutman

Yeah, you are probably right. I was trying to be more optimistic. I have no reason based in facts to think it will die down...just hope. I also hoped that the virus would be seasonal and die off in the summer or maybe even just disappear like SARS did. You can see how much good hope has gotten me :(

I think it’s inevitable that FL will pass NY by the end of July in total cases, the only open question is will the recent pull back and mask rules in CA and TX help to slow down their spread leaving FL alone in the “top spot” or will it be CA then FL/TX in the top 3 spots overall.
I strongly suspect Texas closes down this week and thus will begin to see a decline in cases before Florida.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why do I have this horrible feeling that we are about to see A WDW "Out of an abundance of Caution....." message :(.
Regardless of disclaimers... this issue has GOT to have Disney Lawyers sweating bullets :(. When operating the Parks Risk/Reward ratio goes South? There must be a decision :(.
Really, I don’t see it. They had ample time to pause or delay their re-opening while cases were surging. If they didn’t delay then I can’t see them shutting it back down now. I don’t think anything has changed enough to warrant that. I could see them ride it out for a few weeks to a month and if cases continue to rise and more importantly demand bottoms out they could shut it down then but I don’t see them throwing in the towel this soon. They spent a lot of cash to get the opening done and for the first time maybe since EPCOT was built TWDC doesn‘t necessarily have a lot of extra cash to throw around.

Casper Gutman

Really, I don’t see it. They had ample time to pause or delay their re-opening while cases were surging. If they didn’t delay then I can’t see them shutting it back down now. I don’t think anything has changed enough to warrant that. I could see them ride it out for a few weeks to a month and if cases continue to rise and more importantly demand bottoms out they could shut it down then but I don’t see them throwing in the towel this soon. They spent a lot of cash to get the opening done and for the first time maybe since EPCOT was built TWDC doesn‘t necessarily have a lot of extra cash to throw around.
Cases are easy to dismiss, especially if you have a strong financial motive to do so. I suspect a lot of WDW executives have spent the last month really, really immersed in wishful thinking.

Negative outcomes are much less easy to dismiss. Tons of news stories about the worsening pandemic in Florida will use images of the castle or of costumed characters. Twitter will become more and more hostile, and WDW execs pay attention to that. If (or when) the RNC cancels their in-person convention and Texas locks down, that will also shift public perceptions. At some point, keeping the park open will be doing more PR damage then execs are willing to stomach. Or Florida itself will lock down.

Heppenheimer

Cases are easy to dismiss, especially if you have a strong financial motive to do so. I suspect a lot of WDW executives have spent the last month really, really immersed in wishful thinking.

Negative outcomes are much less easy to dismiss. Tons of news stories about the worsening pandemic in Florida will use images of the castle or of costumed characters. Twitter will become more and more hostile, and WDW execs pay attention to that. If (or when) the RNC cancels their in-person convention and Texas locks down, that will also shift public perceptions. At some point, keeping the park open will be doing more PR damage then execs are willing to stomach. Or Florida itself will lock down.
Notice where the BBC got their headline picture about the pandemic in Florida. Hint... it wasn't in Ocala.

Bleed0range

Nice I’m seeing jokes on twitter about the new fast passes sending you directly into the ICU.

Leaked photos of an upcoming ride show a coffin.

There’s that “ad” where they replace all the things the cast members are saying behind their masks with cries for help...

oceanbreeze77

I think they were going to try and ride on having positive press regarding all of their safety measures, but the press has labeled Disney reopening a failure. (I would link them but I'm too lazy this Sunday😂) I think the PR may be the thing that sways them a different direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom