Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animaniac93-98

Is it possible the leveling off of vaccines is partially due to the fact that it's Summer and people think COVID is more of a seasonal thing*? Are we gonna see a slight uptick in the Fall as the "wait and see" crowd starts to worry about Winter?

*it's not, but I can see people thinking that

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Did y'all hear the rumors of fireworks coming back around July 4?
In the fireworks thread the rumor was some CMs were assigned evening crowd control shifts starting 7/1 so since there are no parades, fireworks is most likely. 💥💥💥🎉🎉🎉🥳🥳🥳

I also saw a rumor that Disney added the word “standby” to the wait times on the park app. Ever since FP+ was taken down it just said “20 minute wait” and now it says “20 minute standby wait”. No reason to add the word standby unless there was an alternate option 🤞🤞🤞 No clue if that really means anything, but all in good fun to speculate. I know we probably shouldn’t get too optimistic about things though or we may trigger some of the doom and gloom crowd 😎

DisneyCane

The media has got to tone down the headlines and tone of the articles. They're going into full panic mode on something that has happened in fewer than 500 people under 30 out of double digit millions.

Look at the AP headline (good) vs. the others in your post.

Jrb1979

In the fireworks thread the rumor was some CMs were assigned evening crowd control shifts starting 7/1 so since there are no parades, fireworks is most likely. 💥💥💥🎉🎉🎉🥳🥳🥳

I also saw a rumor that Disney added the word “standby” to the wait times on the park app. Ever since FP+ was taken down it just said “20 minute wait” and now it says “20 minute standby wait”. No reason to add the word standby unless there was an alternate option 🤞🤞🤞 No clue if that really means anything, but all in good fun to speculate. I know we probably shouldn’t get too optimistic about things though or we may trigger some of the doom and gloom crowd 😎
FP is coming back but it won't be free most likely. I in fact love it if it's true. The less people that have access to it the better FP is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
FP is coming back but it won't be free most likely. I in fact love it if it's true. The less people that have access to it the better FP is.
Depends on the cost for me. If I don’t have FP I’d rather nobody have it but I’m not paying an extreme amount for it. Maxpass at DLR is $20 per ticket per day and includes photo pass as well as acces to booking FP online. They still have paper FP too.

If it’s just FP+ as a paid service I imagine it may cost more but maybe they bundle it with a deluxe resort room like Universal does. Does that include DVC? Probably. That’s over 9,000 deluxe + DVC rooms vs 2,500 deluxe rooms at Universal. That could still work if the paid option for non-deluxe guests is priced high enough to keep most out. Express pass starts at like $60 and goes up on higher demand days.

Incomudro

No, it doesn't. It might just be a good idea to continue wearing masks for the next year even if you are vaccinated. Masks and social distancing have been very effective in reducing influenza:

Not wearing masks doesn't have to start somewhere?
Good, then you can keep yours on.

Disney Glimpses

No, it doesn't. It might just be a good idea to continue wearing masks for the next year even if you are vaccinated. Masks and social distancing have been very effective in reducing influenza:

Explains why the flu is also non-existent in countries with almost no mask wearing. It's called viral interference. There is literally no proof masks had anything to do with the reduction in flu cases this year.

This thread is wild. It's all or nothing with y'all. Obsessed with your Fauci talking points to literally no end and you oust anyone with a contrasting view. One giant echo chamber. I'm sure I'll be booted from here shortly to make sure the pool of ideas isn't compromised.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Still stand by this?

Yesterday, I'm literally called a tin hat wearer by half of you. The vaccines are "100% safe" and I'm "spreading bunk."

And now just 24 hours later, the CDC schedules an emergency meeting regarding the safety of these vaccines. I urge you to do some napkin math regarding children to compare the risk of contracting the disease + the risk of serious complications vs. the rate of myocarditis/pericarditis in the vaccinated population for the same cohort.

So, if you stand by the statement that these vaccines for kids are unequivocally a lower risk than COVID itself you are the one spreading bunk.

No, they don't. The reality is that we are aware of a fraction of kids with this condition following vaccination. This is a serious problem; especially when the vaccine is designed to protect them from a virus they are at nearly zero risk of developing serious complications from anyways. You do realize that kids are in the hospital after getting these shots, right?
Napkin math:
From the attached article:
In late July, shocking findings from a study published in JAMA Cardiology suggested that after being screened via cardiac magnetic resonance imaging, 60% of Covid-19 survivors (independent of the severity of the illness) had developed myocarditis.

So with 33M confirmed covid cases if the 60% referenced in the study actually developed heart inflammation that’s close to 20M Americans affected. Out of 331M Americans overall that’s roughly 6% of the population who had heart inflammation from natural Covid infection. 172M Americans have gotten at least 1 dose of a vaccine and 226 reported heart inflammation. That’s 0.00013% of people who were vaccinated who had that rare side effect.

So napkin math says a 6% chance of having heart inflammation from natural covid infection and a 0.00013% chance of having heart inflammation from the vaccines.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

I'm not gonna wear masks anymore for rest for my life ever!

ParentsOf4

Here's a link to the agenda for the CDC's "emergency meeting", to be held June 18, 2021:

MEETING OF THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON IMMUNIZATION PRACTICES (ACIP)

And a link to the webcast:

https://video.ibm.com/channel/VWBXKBR8af4

The draft agenda includes:
  • Update on COVID-19 vaccine safety, including myocarditis after mRNA vaccines VaST assessment
  • COVID-19 mRNA vaccines in adolescents and young adults: benefit-risk discussion
How about everybody take a breather until we hear what the CDC has to say?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's a link to the agenda for the CDC's "emergency meeting", to be held June 18, 2021:

MEETING OF THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON IMMUNIZATION PRACTICES (ACIP)

And a link to the webcast:

https://video.ibm.com/channel/VWBXKBR8af4

The draft agenda includes:
  • Update on COVID-19 vaccine safety, including myocarditis after mRNA vaccines VaST assessment
  • COVID-19 mRNA vaccines in adolescents and young adults: benefit-risk discussion
How about everybody take a breather until we hear what the CDC has to say?
Good advice. 👍👍👍👍👍

The ironic part is that the anti-vaxx crowd complained that the process was rushed and these vaccines were developed too quickly without enough oversight. Now there’s a meeting to review some potential findings (by the way this meeting was scheduled weeks ago so the narrative that it’s somehow an immediate emergency meeting is false, the only new news was that the agenda came out this week) and now the argument is that the vaccines aren’t safe because there’s a meeting to discuss issues. Isn’t this part of the plan and part of the process? It proves how thorough they are being with safety.

ParentsOf4

Good advice. 👍👍👍👍👍

The ironic part is that the anti-vaxx crowd complained that the process was rushed and these vaccines were developed too quickly without enough oversight. Now there’s a meeting to review some potential findings (by the way this meeting was scheduled weeks ago so the narrative that it’s somehow an immediate emergency meeting is false, the only new news was that the agenda came out this week) and now the argument is that the vaccines aren’t safe because there’s a meeting to discuss issues. Isn’t this part of the plan and part of the process? It proves how thorough they are being with safety.
Just to clarify, the CDC is calling this an "emergency meeting". From their webpage:

Webcast​
June 18, 2021 emergency meeting is a virtual meeting.​
Meeting time, 11am – 5pm EST (times subject to change).​
No registration is required.​

The media are correctly reporting this as an "emergency meeting".

I think the regularly scheduled meeting is June 23-25.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to clarify, the CDC is calling this an "emergency meeting". From their webpage:

Webcast​
June 18, 2021 emergency meeting is a virtual meeting.​
Meeting time, 11am – 5pm EST (times subject to change).​
No registration is required.​

The media are correctly reporting this as an "emergency meeting".

I think the regularly scheduled meeting is June 23-25.
Yeah, it’s not the regularly scheduled meeting. I would have to go back in the thread but I think around the end of May there was discussion of a meeting being set to discuss pediatric vaccines but there was no formal agenda at the time. I believe this is the same meeting.

Chi84

Premium Member
Great news for businesses and restaurants in Illinois today - we're opening fully with no capacity limits or social distancing requirements. Masks are still required for public transportation, in healthcare settings and in schools. Businesses can set their own rules, but from what I've been hearing most are just putting up signs saying masks are strongly encouraged for the unvaccinated. Here's hoping WDW will do the same soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great news for businesses and restaurants in Illinois today - we're opening fully with no capacity limits or social distancing requirements. Masks are still required for public transportation, in healthcare settings and in schools. Businesses can set their own rules, but from what I've been hearing most are just putting up signs saying masks are strongly encouraged for the unvaccinated. Here's hoping WDW will do the same soon.
Sounds similar to PA. We dropped all covid restrictions except for indoor masks on Memorial Day and indoor masks go when we hit 70% fully vaccinated which should be by the end of June. Businesses and employers are allowed to follow the CDC guidelines that allow fully vaccinated people to drop the mask even indoors but it’s up to them to decide. I’ve found its a mixed bag. Many businesses are allowing fully vaccinate to go mask free on the honor system but most are still making their employees wear masks. The local supermarket I go to was doing just that and 100% of employees were masked until this week. Today it was about 50/50 on employees so I assume either they are asking for proof of vaccination or the people in masks just want to keep wearing them. I went into the barber shop earlier this week and they still have full masks. Only took my straps down to cut around the ears and the barbers all wore masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom